Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

MK Dons (H)

Rudy

Could not make the game yesterday, watching the goals Gilks was not as bad as people are saying.

Third goal just one of them someone hits from quite close, goes through his legs but not much he can do about it 

Second he does not move but it is a good goal 

First he gets done at near post and that is poor. What pissed me off more was the ball he played to John in the build up. We did it a lot last year, chipping balls to full backs who have no where to go and invites pressure on. Slightly higher level more likely to get punished. 

Edited by Ani

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The MKD free kick, on 1.24.

How many yards was that was from the ball ? It's a darn sight more than 10.

Each of the side-to-side mowing stripes is exactly 6 yards if that helps

34 minutes ago, Ani said:

Could not make the game yesterday, watching the goals Gilks was not as bad as people are saying.

Third goal just one of them someone hits from quite close, goes through his legs but not much he can do about it 

First he gets done at near post and that is poor. What pissed me off more was the ball he played to John in the build up. We did it a lot last year, chipping balls to full backs who have no where to go and invites pressure on. Slightly higher level more likely to get punished. 

I said the same, his pass created the error for the first goal. Play it on the ground FFS.
Plus he could have done better with the shot.

9 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

The pass by Gilkes was poor on the first goal, but it was to Johnston not John, apart from losing out there I thought Johnston was quality

Johnston very quickly atoned for his error after Baps slipped.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Well after being there and seeing it again I'm the opposite I definitely think he was at fault for all 3 (not totally blaming him btw) First the ball to Johnston was a stupid pass into danger then he gets beat at his near post.

The second wasn't for me as unstoppable as Sheehans maybe fooled by slight deflection but never moved.

Third went straight through him and was poor. 

Just don't think he can get down quickly enough now not agile enough. Would hate for him to struggle after last season's great performances

13 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Well after being there and seeing it again I'm the opposite I definitely think he was at fault for all 3 (not totally blaming him btw) First the ball to Johnston was a stupid pass into danger then he gets beat at his near post.

The second wasn't for me as unstoppable as Sheehans maybe fooled by slight deflection but never moved.

Third went straight through him and was poor. 

Just don't think he can get down quickly enough now not agile enough. Would hate for him to struggle after last season's great performances

I do not think he covered himself in glory on any of the goals but given the comments on here and more on social media I was expecting absolute howlers. 
Alan Mcinallay (however you spell it) was covering the game and never picked up on it, not sure if the second was deflected. 
As you say if he is going to struggle it will be sad to see, we would not have been promoted without him last year 

I was looking from opposite end but, on their second, the wall didn't look very well lined up to me. Gilks then looked like he'd expected a bit more of an effort from them to jump and deflect it. Didn't think he could do much with third one, first one the lad lashed it but he won't have liked being done on near post. No real bollocks dropped, just a bit messy and cheap goals given away

Well if it had been Dixon who made that pass and conceded those goals, there would have been howls of “Billy Crellin” mk2. Gillo was at fault for at least the first two and maybe could have done better with the third. Last season is gone now and despite how brilliant he was, maybe it’s time now for him to concentrate on what he came here for and let Joel take over?

2 hours ago, SirNatsDog said:

Well if it had been Dixon who made that pass and conceded those goals, there would have been howls of “Billy Crellin” mk2. Gillo was at fault for at least the first two and maybe could have done better with the third. Last season is gone now and despite how brilliant he was, maybe it’s time now for him to concentrate on what he came here for and let Joel take over?

It's all relative but I still hold that keeper is Evatt's blindspot.

But we'll never surpass the Crellin experience.

Gilks all 3 for me. Again not criticising him.

1st goal came from that crazy pass to Johnston. But in all fairness the MKD boys closed down quickly and mobbed up on him. Shot looked to have been struck really hard - ball probably slippery from the downpours. But would’ve expect better from MG. 

2nd. He just didn’t move. And I don’t get it. Only seen the goal from ESL and then on Tv from the opposite side. So impossible to see if it deflected. He was shaking his head afterwards though. Which, to me, looked like he was having a dig at himself. 

I didn’t think the 3rd was his fault on the day. But having seen it on TV I would’ve expected him to have done a lot better. 

I’m thinking we play him against Barnsley. Let him make good. And then bring in Dixon at Wimbledon. 

• Members
9 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Gilks all 3 for me. Again not criticising him.

1st goal came from that crazy pass to Johnston. But in all fairness the MKD boys closed down quickly and mobbed up on him. Shot looked to have been struck really hard - ball probably slippery from the downpours. But would’ve expect better from MG. 

2nd. He just didn’t move. And I don’t get it. Only seen the goal from ESL and then on Tv from the opposite side. So impossible to see if it deflected. He was shaking his head afterwards though. Which, to me, looked like he was having a dig at himself. 

I didn’t think the 3rd was his fault on the day. But having seen it on TV I would’ve expected him to have done a lot better. 

I’m thinking we play him against Barnsley. Let him make good. And then bring in Dixon at Wimbledon. 

He set his wall up wrong, and he was too far over to his left, from that angle he needs to be 2yards from the centre to his left, because if the lad smashes it into the top right as we look at it he shouldn’t be playing in this league

Mistakes happen, but we have competition for places across the board now.