Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Having a little peruse of their board already, look forward to seeing what Matty cultivates from 3 threads: Preview, Match Thread and Post Match Thread.

Someone says Evatt looks a horrible bastard 😂

He does, looks a horrible bastard is a great description. Love the guy but if he managed anyone else I think he'd wind me up massively.

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Someone says Evatt looks a horrible bastard 😂

Don’t wish to detract from the thread too much, but was interesting to see he was out of the dressing room doing his interviews on the touch line and having the non-players doing their warm down before half of the Bolton fans had left the ground!

The score line don’t really reflect the game .. first half we were excellent best home performance of the season .. our movement was good … then a bad mistake by the ref for their goal McG clearly had a player in an offside position in his eye line and it’s 1-1 .. totally undeserved by Bolton 

Screenshot-2021-09-29-at-16-49-49.png

Late on a third and another offside goal for the 4th … 

Screenshot-2021-09-29-at-16-55-02.png

To be fair most of their forum posts are similar to when we beat Ipswich, just complaining about their own team being shit rather than much about us, but I did just read this shocker of a take. Clearly this lad needs to watch back the replays but I don't blame him for not wanting to do so. 😃

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Speaking of keepers, Dixon doesn’t seem to be doing too badly so far.

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Seems to be getting more of a command of his area with each passing game. Distribution still needs a bit of work but he’ll get there. 

Correct.

I like the way that he catches the ball rather than punching it.

He’s the best goalie we’ve had for a number of years imo.

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Seems to be getting more of a command of his area with each passing game. Distribution still needs a bit of work but he’ll get there. 

I can’t recall any of the goals we’ve conceded so far have been down to him, whereas this time last season Billy Crellin was having a ‘mare.

12 hours ago, Steejay said:

Correct.

I like the way that he catches the ball rather than punching it.

He’s the best goalie we’ve had for a number of years imo.

It's important for an inveterate whinger like me to hold their hands up when time proves them wrong.

So .

I still think there were better options at the time but he's here, doing just fine and I agree that his habit of catching the ball is a blessed relief. Certainly an improvement on scooping it straight to an inrushing opponent.

• Site Supporter

Fair play.

I must also admit, I had him as a number 2 and back up to Gilks. 

He’s done a fantastic job to make the number one spot his own. It’s been said before but the most simple (yet crucial) attribute he has, is being in the right place at the right time, making it look easy. 

He’s a good un

• Site Supporter

I think Dixon's distribution is actually quite decent.

Worked a treat against Rotherham in the first half when they pressed high to stop him rolling it to the centre backs. He threw it or kicked it but quite flat and we had some joy from it.

Their manager withdrew the press because we got in frequently. Just failed to capitalise. 

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think Dixon's distribution is actually quite decent.

Worked a treat against Rotherham in the first half when they pressed high to stop him rolling it to the centre backs. He threw it or kicked it but quite flat and we had some joy from it.

Their manager withdrew the press because we got in frequently. Just failed to capitalise. 

Definitely.  The difference when Gilkes came in was marked.  Dixon looks so confident playing out from the back which given what happened in one of his first games at FCUM, is remarkable. 

• Site Supporter

All keepers make mistakes with their distribution from time to time- we've seen even the best in the prem do it occasionally. We also see it from our defenders sometimes. 

They will continue to make some poor passes too; we're league one after all. If we gain more than we lose from it though then that's success. 

Sorry lads and lasses, real life has somewhat got in the way this week. I'll try and get these done in one but I've got a busy night once again.

Interesting that on Charlton's forum they have a very thorough indepth guide to the opposition on the pre-match thread. Here's our write up for anyone concerned:

Bolton have got a manager who has won promotion in each of his last two seasons. Evatt was the man who guided Barrow to the football league and took over Bolton in the summer of 2020. He completed the same feat for The Trotters, but this time taking them back to League One. Evatt has instilled a hard-working, honest, and winning mentality - a team who fight for each other and add a sprinkle of quality at the top end of the pitch. Because of this spirit and players knowing their job, it won't be often you'll see Bolton lose by many this season. An interesting stat to show what Evatt has brought to Bolton is they won 17 games last season by a single goal margin.

The 3 behind Doyle all bring something different to the table. Isgrove will be known to Adkins from his time at Southampton, although he didn't ever make the grade, he will want to tuck in and get close to Doyle. Sarcevic is a creative number 10 where much of Bolton's good play will go through him. We can't allow him space to pick a pass, and he has a goal in him too, proved mainly at League Two level, but his quality will show if given the time. Afolayan is Bolton's top scorer this season with 4 in 9, to describe him, he is a little bit like Blackett-Taylor - direct and will run at the full-back. We will have to be careful we don't leave our full-back's exposed 1v1 too often.

Bolton are a side who cross the ball a lot in this division, averaging 20 a game, interestingly we average 21. They pass the ball far more than we do, and with greater effect too. Stats show when they do go long, Bolton will only win the first and second ball on average around 15% of the time. One offensive pattern of play you will see often is most crosses will come down their right hand side with Jones overlapping and creating a situation where Isgrove tucks in, Sarcevic will float around the edge of the box, Afolayan at the back post and Sheehan will the player to arrive late, all supporting Doyle In the middle. With our defensive frailties, it's something that could cause us a lot of problems with players being dragged out of position and others not knowing who to pick up.  

and then into pre-match discussion...

I like your optimism, but on recent defensive showings we won't be able to handle Afolayan.

Bolt-on Acessories will do us 0-3.

My Sunderland mate says Bolton were unlucky to lose at the stadium of light on Saturday. 

Surprising 5-3 victory.

We have the players to win but a manager who can set us up to lose. 2-1 to Bolton.

All we need is it to click and can see us going on a 20 game winning run.

Bolton are a team around the level of where we should be. 

They're higher end of midtable and it'll be a game that shows us if we'll be able to climb out of this relegation fight. 

I can’t make this one but enjoyed that preview thank you – particularly the description of our opponents as “a team who fight for each other and add a sprinkle of quality at the top end of the pitch”. If true, that just about seals our fate.

Charlton 0 B0lton 2. Bolton on a decent run of form.

Cafc 2-1 bolton
3 wins on the trot puts us back in the mix and everyone becomes more positive 

This will be a tough test, if the team turns up as per the other games the season we're in for a walloping. I can honestly see us getting turned over by a 3 goal margin.

I just looked at the "away" table.
Bolton are top W2 D1 L2  

Someone is going to take a right tonking off us at some stage.

Sadly it won’t be Bolton and it won’t be this season.

0-1.

Tonight will be the start of the Gunter redemption arc. 

4-0 to the mighty Addicks.

terrific preview .. Bolton are inconsistent, recent goalless losses to Rotherham and Sunderland, two of the better L1 teams so far follow a hammering 5-2 of Ipswich at Portman Road and a 0-0 at Burton. If we approach this game playing from the start as we did in the 2nd half v Pompey we will be in with a right good chance. And that is the key, a good old 4 4 2 line up playing positive and confident football from the start to the finish .. come on you Addicksssaaaaa  .. we need the points and Bolton on paper are on a par with us, we need to start birdying our pars and win this type of game.. excuse the golfing terms, too much of a Ryder cup hangover

Bolton are going to be up there, a good side with a good manager. Think we will sneak a draw to keep everything just as it is, 1-1.

We are absolutely going to win tonight. 
I'm confident.
1-0 or 2-1

MATCH THREAD

"The palindrome of Bolton is Notlob"

We win this. COYR

On the face of it this early another team who play better football than us it appears. 

decent turn out from Bolton

My God. We look quite good. 

Bolton really dishing out the ott tackles now.

Hope this doesn't defend into a slog fest.

good team Notlob. Will do well to get a clean sheet win.

1-1. We don't deserve that 

Dirty foul from Afolayan... Pretty much unpunished 'had a word'

This Dapo has been class in all fairness 

Matthews should've done better for the goal. Their left winger is the best player on the pitch though.

SSN: Bolton have lost their last two and have not lost three on the bounce for over a year

Bolton must be sitting there now thinking they're lucky not to be 2 down instead go in level at half time. 

Bolton manager looks a horrible bastard.

FFS ref!

Even kicking the ball away doesn't draw a yellow for Bolton.

I must say I'm really looking forward to 30+ minutes of Bolton time-wasting, all of which will come without censure from the referee.

Come on ref, grow a pair and book these time-wasting muppets.

At the moment they are just taking the p155

89 minutes.

That's all it took for the ref to show a Bolton player a yellow.

No idea how they managed that.

Get Big Sam on the dog and bone now!!

Chris Wilder In

KiwiValley said:
Chris Wilder In

I would take Gene Wilder at the minute.

Yeah... That's it. 
Losing 4-1 to a newly promoted side is completely unacceptable. Especially after leading.

Will try and get post match done later.