Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

It's really not as entertaining when we lose. RovrumWays have been quite complimentary.

All comments taken from https://boards.footymad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2602

PRE-MATCH

Are we playing a sleeping giant today? Just one who's taking a snooze? It should be a cracker and one we should do better in than last Saturday against Fleetwood. This could be a game worth watching and one we can win!!

Oladapo Afolayan On loan from West Ham is the man to watch.

DURING

Bolton look dangerous so we need to be careful here

Anyone else suffering from jangling nerves?

Inconsistency from ref by sounds

he's being influenced by a big crowd

he's being influenced by a big crowd

Yes he’s certainly a homer. Bolton go down easily.

Seems like Bolton have brought in Rent an Official

their goal given as offside, looked tight to me

Jesus H Corbett. That was not good for my blood pressure. Agree we look better balanced in midfield but they are getting into channels behind us too easily for me. Great advert for the division though. Two teams attacking like Billy-o

Great stuff from us but it’s going to be a nervy 2nd half. They have played some good stuff too

The most frenetic game of football I've seen for a long time. Not good for the nerves, both teams are all over the place 😂

They have a good midfield, impressed with Sheehan.

A well fought game, well under the cosh first 10 and it looked like we were going to get a drumming. Kept our nerve and soaked it all up and gradually started to press. Let's be honest here, Bolton should have scored at least 3 goals!

Make no bones about it, Bolton will be up there around the top, come the end of the season, I liked what they had to offer.

Bolton are no mugs, but other than the odd flutter they created nothing of note, and even though they had most of the ball 2nd half, had we had someone pacey up top we would have scored more on the break.
They hit the post 1st half at 2-0, but smudger was so unlucky with his shot 2nd half that came back off inside of post, but a really professional performance against a team that will absolutely be pushing for a top 6 spot. UTM

Proud Miller here. What a first half that was, with both teams attacking full on and creating chances. Quite clear to see how Bolton are and will be up there, with quality passing and speed up front. But we exploited their dodgy defence well and should have scored at least a couple more ourselves.

Excellent win! Lots of teams will lose at Bolton this season, very energetic and in your face. We coped really well in the main with the pressure.

A gripe at the officials today for acceding to their players and fans.
Jonah saves the ball going for a corner, lino does nothing, then we have 5 seconds of screaming from their fans and only then he springs into life waving for a corner way over on the far side. There's no way he could have seen that.

One of our players commits a foul, ref blows for a foul, Isgrove starts flailing his arms around for five seconds and it's only after the histrionics that the ref pulls out a card.

I think Richie Barker had enough of this nonsense and told Evatt what he thought of them hence the handbags on-the touchline

Yes Sadlier wasn't great when he came on but I think Kayode would have been pummelled by their man mountain CH Almeida Santos who was very quick too

Reading the Bolton message boards the phrase most often used about us was "well-drilled". Not something we say about ourselves but the opposition seem to think our coaching team know a thing or two...

..also interesting that they thought the ref did them no favours which, from a Miller's perspective, is hard to fathom.

I think their manager came out with a bunch of sour grapes. He thinks they controlled the game. At least their fans saw through it.
This was what you call a quality away performance. Bish bash bosh. 2-0 up. Changed it around and cruised home. Last weeks horror show banished from memory.

Ian evatt says they conceded from two set pieces.
The first one was a short throw in followed by four passes and a cut back from Wiles

I suppose every goal can be linked back to a dead ball situation Ian

Wanderers fan here, but a local one, lived around Rotherham for 40 years but now in Tykes land!! ��. Really well done yesterday, two good goals and thought your teams organisation and game management was excellent. You’re the only team so far to manacle young Afolyan down the left wing who has been sensational this season but never got a look in. From our perspective it’s just a shame Doyle missed the sitter when he hit the post and our headed goal was disallowed because it could have really turned the game into a cracker. Still, it is what it is and you deserved the win. From what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think there are too many better than you in L1 so I think you should be strongly pushing for promotion back to the Championship and we’ll try and do both you and ourselves a favour next week at Sunderland. As for us, we have little cutting edge and if we are to progress we need to reinforce in January. Anyway, well done on yesterday and I’m now looking forward to our game at New York where we surely must do better than our last visit??

(in response to post above)

Classy comments.
You look a good side and I agree if you got one back it could have been interesting.

Pleased for the genuine supporters you have had a rough few years and are on the way back.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

All very complimentary really. MackemWays should be more interesting should we rock up and do a job. Can't see them setting out to nullify us like Rotherham did yesterday.

11 hours ago, matty2094 said:

Over 1k comments on their match thread. Could take a bit to sift through!

Heres the challenge Matty

6 posts praising us

6 posts saying we’re shite

6 piss funny posts.

Thanks in advance 😁

Only joking btw.😁

A very enjoyable thread is this

Edited by Burndens Bogs

I had a nosey earlier.  On the whole they were quite complimentary and seem a fair minded bunch.  I did find a post that was reminiscent of one of Red Rog's efforts, about how Man U brought 500 main boys to Horwich to teach us a lesson, when they usually saved such effort for Liverpool and Leeds!! 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Other teams fans generally are when they’ve  taken all 3 points.

Definitely this.  If you just beat a team very much against the run of play then tell each other how pleased you are when your team wins. It'll make everyone forget you were often,  at times,  second best on the pitch. 

Here we go...

On a thread titled, 'All these shitty little clubs on the verge of extinction'

Everyone's mate when they're near extinction. Then as soon as they turn it around they give it the big one, the same goes for Wigan. Bolton have a large amount of knackers imo.

Don't think you can class Bolton as a shitty little club...a long history to be proud of including 4 FA Cup wins and 3 times runners up

Founder members of the football league, hardly a tinpot club.

Bolton are a decent club. Wigan however can dissolve

They can call us what they want (as I'm a grown man.....) but I would hate to see any club go out of business.

I'm sure we've said some offensive chants over the years, a couple come to mind but are bad taste to repeat on a public forum.

Also Bolton are a decent working class club but everywhere has dickheads.

On a thread titled 'Bolton best team i’ve seen in league 1'

Not just this season but all the seasons we have been in this league. Fair play to them they gave us a real game. Thought we were lucky to get 1 point nevermind 3 so over the moon we have won. Not convinced by our new goalkeeper. Seems decent shot stopper but no command of area and over plays with the ball at his feet. Hopefully improves with experience. Hopefully another 3 points on Tuesday night

Played out of their skins in their cup final, wasn't enough though.

I thought they played okay. Did they do enough to win this match? Nowhere near.

They had a lot of possession, but, we created more and better chances than they did and deserved to win. Barnsley, Rotherham and Luton were all better than this Bolton team.

Bolton are a bloody decent team now and gave us a real game.

How annoying must it be for other teams when we stroll to wins whilst they give it their absolute maximum against us and still lose? They’ll be thinking “what the fuck do we need to do!?”

We'll be out of sight the next time we play them and glide to victory imo. Their fans will be fuming as per. Deep down they know their place.

They were athletic freaks. Got the ball and attacked instantly every time. Thats why the game felt so long. They were wasteful where it counted but wasted no time in attacking, and after 70 minutes were pressing as though they hadn't tired at all, part of the reason our midfield struggled so much.

And Santos is an absolute colossus at the back.

We were completely outplayed the 2nd half

Thought they looked alright like without creating too much. We seem to sit relatively narrow and they tried to have their wingers hang on the touchline constantly and then drive in at us, they didnt really make the most of their openings because we weren’t great.

Number nine was a handful and the centre half (5?) was excellent.

I said at HT the game could go either way , Bolton were the best side we have played so far. I would have taken a draw late on , but to say we were completely outplayed 2cnd half is just wrong. Am over the moon to get 3 pts , but I could well understand Bolton fans being gutted to get nothing from that game.

Very comfortable in possession but wasteful. Probably deserved a point on the balance of it but nice to see us show some resilience.

Theyre alright, that's it. Will finish mid table.

They were fluid going forward, had a monster of a defender at the back (I think his name was Santos) and a keeper who did well - decent team and a good win

They were pretty poor, we were just very negative and we allowed them to dominate without creating anything.

Reminded me of Brendan Rogers’ crap Swansea side

Most organised in and out of possession so far for me and quite fit, lack a bit of quality though, but I think they should do well.

That's all true, however their keeper being poor in possession could have cost them a few goals first half and in reality we should have capitalised with at least one more goal during the game.

True, he made some good saves though, no idea why they tried to play out from the back, none of their back 5 were comfortable on the ball

Agreed. I’m glad people are giving them the credit that is due. They’re a great team under Evatt and deserve all plaudits. Will be a real challenge this season

I thought Bolton were decent today and on this performance I would have them there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

I bet that was the best they’ve played for a long time, they’ll get beat Tuesday.

They'll be lucky to finish in the top ten.

heir final ball was shocking. They had us turned afew times and played a woeful pass inside the full back

They have something. Will be thereabouts.

They were certainly competitive today and on another day could have left with at least a draw and we couldn't have complained.

The big lad at the back was quality. Since Stewart started playing regular no one has marshalled him so successfully.

Sheehan was tidy, Williams looked decent and battled well. Afolayan very good and Doyle busy and caused problems.

Couldn’t beat us.

See their manager came out saying he is incredibly proud of them for the way they played. So that’s them at their absolute peak and still lost to us.

We are class like.

I was impressed with their number 17.

Ahhh the lad who constantly fouled, lost the ball and threw his toys out the pram?

Boltons No.5 Ricardo Santos looks a beast like. Plucked from non league. He looked very good today.

Their number 5 was excellent today.

I thought they were a good side tbh.

For a newly promoted side I think they’re doing well.

Think Bolton can feel a touch hard done by not to get a point yesterday. But we did grind the win out, against a decent league 1 team, and on a day when we just looked a bit lethargic.

Just going to skim the match thread as it's 52 pages long...

Someone's due a hammering, let's hope its Bolton today.

Two footed studs up challenge by Dixon.

It's a clear red card or penalty.

Ridiculous what keepers get away with to be honest.

bolton playing it out from the back like their brazil.. be nice to catch them out..

Bolton aren't bad tbf

These will score they look tidy

Getting bossed here, be very surprised if they don’t score at some point, so hopefully we get at least 3 

Can see an equaliser soon.

They seem to come away with nearly every loose ball, it’s quite annoying

Bolton passing very well.

Bolton are easily the best side we’ve played so far but they are still poor at the back.

Bolton passing very well.

They’re a cracking team this year. Afolayan is wonderful

Poor game, this.

Bolton look shite though so there are goals to be had second half.

Both full backs have been brilliant.

I don’t think they look shite mind. Had lots of good possession in advanced areas and look like scoring imo

I rate Bolton so any win for us will do me fine.

They've got Kachunga on the bench who has been excellent for them in 15-20 minute cameos.

I wouldn't like to be holding onto a one goal lead when he comes on today given he already has a couple of assist from such a small amount of playing time.

Weird game, largely due to the incident right at the start. Bolton look decent when they break and go forward. Same issue for us in not putting games away when we are on top.

Could go either way this , Bolton definitely the best team we have played so far.

They've looked handy on the ball but their back 4 look like they are ready to self destruct every time the ball lands within 50 yards of them.

Aye, agree with this. They look good going forwards and minging at the back.

True about their defence. They have been a bit scrappy and frantic at times. I wouldn't bet against a stupid challenge giving us a penalty.

Bolton defence doing their best to give us chances.

Hope he's not badly hurt but that 23 has been their best player.

Here's Kachunga.

Watch out for him, he's been excellent off the bench so far.

The big fella for Bolton wants to get out the refs face

Declan John sighting! 

Bolton are impressive, get the ball and go straight up the pitch, bags of energy.

Bolton on the Jamie vardy regime red bull and snuff, they never stop 

Bolton have some absolute tanks on their side. Huggins up against their CB there was ridiculous to look at

Bolton have been the better side here. We need to hold on

That big man mountain they’ve got in centre defence, Santos is like a brick wall.

Santos is a beast

santos for bolton has looked pretty solid

There centre half is f***ing massive

Bolton's defence looked shakey in the first half. God knows what they give Santos at half time, but he has been the stand out player for both sides this half.

FULL TIME

Decent side Bolton if they keep playing like that they'll be in the mix at the end of the season.
So saying that, that's a great 3 points, well done lads.

Good win that, Bolton are very good.

Always scary at 1-0, but we had some very strong performances there. Credit to Bolton at 1-0 they never gave up, a goal or two more and I think they would have caved, but wasn't to be. This may have made the Cheltenham game just a little tougher unfortunately - some of the players gave everything there.

Bolton were really decent to be fair. That's a solid win for us. Happy with that tbf.

Bolton played quite well but as usual if we could be a bit more clinical we’d have won it comfortably.

Great result against by far the strongest team we’ve played against yet.

Yes we were shaky but we still won.

They've still got a load of League 2 players, reckon they'll be promotion contenders next season if Evatt stays in charge

Told you Bolton were no mugs, that's a good win for you however it comes.

Wigan won in 2nd gear...quite pleasant in the sun.

We were the worst we’ve played all season and got a clean sheet against a side that seem to score goals for fun. I wasn’t happy with today’s performance but think Johnson has done it on purpose. Keep doing what we’re doing we have nowt to worry about. We gan up.

Back to back clean sheets which is a real bonus and nice to see us show some resilience defensively when under pressure for a sustained period. Really impressed with Bolton mind, really comfortable in possession in all areas of the pitch.

Well me defibrillator was put to good use today, bloody hell they don’t make it easy for us 🥴
Good win though and I thought Bolton were a good side.

Well done today guys, another hard earned 3 points for you. As I said earlier, Wanderers play some good stuff but we just don’t have a cutting edge. Yet again Doyle had numerous chances but is too slow and too lightweight to be up there on his own. Hopefully we can hang on until January when we can strengthen but I suspect it will be play offs at best for us. Please, please don’t let the pie eaters stay above you, they’re getting ideas above their station at the moment!! Good luck for the rest of the season and I genuinely hope you make it out this year and I think you will.

Have to say, I was well impressed with Bolton, played the game the way it should be. Just as well they had no cutting edge.

We worked hard and I was thankful for the points on the basis that we
Struggled to get the second killer goal
If I was a Bolton fan I would have been disappointed not to get a point out of the game

Have to accept that Bolton stopped us from playing our game, and created a fair bit themselves. Comfortably the best team we've played this season.

Bloody relieved to take the three points but Johnson has some work to do in ensuring the younger players can adapt to a game like that when our normal patterns of play are constantly interrupted.

Strange match. I can't make my mind up if we deserved it, they deserved it, or a point would have been fair.

Boltons no.4 had a real good game. Good physical presence, neat and tidy and didn't mind a challenge. Maybe a cheeky bid in January if Bolton fade ?

By all accounts an ordinary L1 team pushed us all the way.

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, kent_white said:

In what universe is playing at Sunderland a 'cup final' 🤣

When your so massive but stuck in league one, got to find solace in something. 

Funny how a few decide that when their team is given a right good game, both sides are shit. Not on their own though with that.

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Standard responses tbf, WW posters would probably be saying the same things. 

I think the majority of Mackems appreciated how we play, we have now come to expect it week in week out, just shows are far we have come. Just that elusive top striker that all clubs need and we could easily have been top 2.

Strange that if we'd signed Cole Stockton from Morecambe in the summer (more likely if they'd failed to go up), most of us would have been very underwhelmed.  Going off your theory, the 8 goals he's scored so far, all from open play, would have us in the top 2.  I'm not saying I'd have him BTW, but it shows its possible to get goalscorers without going for big or expensive names (Paul Mullin last season etc).

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Strange that if we'd signed Cole Stockton from Morecambe in the summer (more likely if they'd failed to go up), most of us would have been very underwhelmed.  Going off your theory, the 8 goals he's scored so far, all from open play, would have us in the top 2.  I'm not saying I'd have him BTW, but it shows its possible to get goalscorers without going for big or expensive names (Paul Mullin last season etc).

Still may be out of our price range, irrespective of who is parent club is. If they don't need to sell, they can ask for a lot, and maybe more than other clubs think he's worth.

We'll see in January if IE tries to bring anyone in.

Great work again Matty, a mix of opinions there but overall they seemed impressed by our passing and fitness in particular.

Have a bad feeling about our next several games but think we will come into our own in the winter months and hopefully bolster our ranks in January

3-3-3 from nine games is probably a fair reflection of the season so far. We could probably have won all of them, we certainly could well have lost or drawn most of them.

3-3-3 from 9 gives you 61/62pts a season, which sits you comfortably in mid-table.

We could improve, but I'd be happy with a comfortable mid-table finsih with what is essentially last season's league 2 team. Strengthen again next summer for a promotion push.

Sometimes we expect too much.

Agree Traf that before the season started,  a midtable finish would’ve been a respectable goal to achieve. 
Evatt clearly wants more than that though and as you’ve said we could’ve been in a better position than we are now

Edited by Mantra

2 hours ago, Traf said:

3-3-3 from nine games is probably a fair reflection of the season so far. We could probably have won all of them, we certainly could well have lost or drawn most of them.

3-3-3 from 9 gives you 61/62pts a season, which sits you comfortably in mid-table.

We could improve, but I'd be happy with a comfortable mid-table finsih with what is essentially last season's league 2 team. Strengthen again next summer for a promotion push.

Sometimes we expect too much.

I will be glad with a comfortable mid table finish. Tomorrow’s game however could get the optimism going if we win.

On 25/09/2021 at 23:17, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Yeah top of the league and can only muster 8867

They’re playing Wednesday at home next who will be taking around 4500 yet their “guess the gate” top estimate is 12k!! Wonder what they’ll get when the tide turns and they start losing??

Edited by Whitesince63

39 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Another local club struggling to attract fans are the mighty Blackburn Rovers sitting 6th in the championship, whose highest gate this season was below 12,000 against WBA and that included over 2000 away fans.

I'm sure i read that some of their fans are boycotting home games because they don't like Venkys and Mowbray