Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Travel Insurance

athywhite1958

Anybody know the ins and outs of claims etc. after a couple of days in Germany we were heading to Poland and just outside Berlin we were rear ended on the autobahn, a couple of spins across 3 lanes we came to a stop wedged in the central crash barrier, I was taken to Podsam hospital and kept in intensive care overnight for monitoring, I was looked after really well but decided to discharge myself the next day, they wanted me to stay for a couple more days as they were worried about concussion and fluid on my lungs, I had 3 broken ribs, we were going to try and get in the match in Poland so we didn't want to hang about. A bloke came to see me just before I left and asked for my travel insurance details which I gave him and he said they would contact them to pay the hospital bill. I am going to claim for injuries and a smashed KIndle, my mate obviously needs to claim for his car and other losses (the cheeky bastards wanted 200 euros to tow the car off the autobahn. How does stuff like this pan out with the different insurance companies, the bloke who caused it has admitted responsibility.

Personal injury claim could go under your mates car insurance... Not sure how it works abroad though. 

Hospital fees and your personal possessions are under your travel insurance so just ring em to claim for the kindle and let em know the hospital took your details. 

• Site Supporter

Hope you’re ok mate.

Assume the insurance company will just sort everything? This must happen all the time.

But I do like the picture you painted, you fckin lunatic:

”We vant you to stay for anozzer three days in ze hospital, Herr Englander. You are badly injured and you haff ze broken ribs”

”Fuck that Fritz, I’m off to the match.”

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

Traf might be the man to speak to 

I'm certainly not.

I'm a travel agent, who can point you in the direction of an insurer. I don't sell insurance, nor advise upon it, sorry.
It's a fucking minefield best left to experts.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Hope you are recovered/recovering now. Having an accident like that abroad I can only imagine adds to the stress it would doing it here

This.

Definitely, athy.

Ne'er mind the Kindle or anything else, they can be replaced. Just hope you're OK, mate.

Cheers for the replies, I'm expecting my travel insurers to contact me this week because I assume they will claim off the German fella, my mate will be claiming for the car and stuff he lost so I am thinking it could well be a type of blanket claim against the German bloke by all concerned parties. I'm having difficulty breathing (to be expected) last night I hade 2 forkfuls of curry and coughed as the spices hit the back of my throat - end of meal, not slept a full night since Monday, on the bright side all 3 of us got out of it relatively unscathed.

• 3 weeks later...

Fucking Germans, I've had 3 invoices up to now from hospital, and 2 of the emergency services (1 to go) who all want paying for their services 3000 euro's up to now, this is going to take forever as I have to keep passing these on to my insurance, for some unknown reason they won't deal directly with insurers, and now I'm going through another department for my personal injuries claim, I hope any German fucker using our hospitals and emergency services are getting billed

I am a bit surprised you have to claim on your travel insurance. I would have thought the driver of your car would be claiming everything through his car insurance. 

One thing to be aware of if you discharged yourself against the hospital advice the insurer might be a bit funny when it comes to any claims for ongoing issues like you have mentioned as they will say you not followed medical advice.