Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gas prices

Spider

• Site Supporter

Before you destroy your keyboard, you will note that I said this is a combination of factors, which I accept because I’ve trained my brain to break free of the doublethink you seem to struggle with still.

I also notice you swerve the internal energy market.

We have always paid more than our European cousins but your deity in london promised lower energy bills. Why would he do that?

Boris could reach into your bedroom window and finger your missus and you’d find a Telegraph columnist who not only justified it, but was keen to point out that we’re a better nation because of it.

Doublethink.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Before you destroy your keyboard, you will note that I said this is a combination of factors, which I accept because I’ve trained my brain to break free of the doublethink you seem to struggle with still.

I also notice you swerve the internal energy market.

We have always paid more than our European cousins but your deity in london promised lower energy bills. Why would he do that?

Boris could reach into your bedroom window and finger your missus and you’d find a Telegraph columnist who not only justified it, but was keen to point out that we’re a better nation because of it.

Doublethink.

Ah good. It was a combination of factors. Not Brexit. 

Well done. 

Glad you've clarified that.

Like the old bloke coughing and spluttering and looking forlorn in the corner of Ladbrokes - you're on the wrong horse. Again.

• Site Supporter

Can't be arsed anymore Paul.

I'm just glad that for some time now, successive governments have realised the need to energy security and green energy and started to do something about it. 

No doubt in decades to come the powers that be may look at things and say we should have done this and not that but hindsight is great.

First commercial wind farm was in 1991 apparently, so 30 of subsequent developments. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

. .. But have we got the lower bills we were promised?  - yes or no?

I think that's what Spider would like you to answer.

How do you find out?

Without a parallel issue universe where we're still in the EU how does anyone know?

Fwiw, given we've only been fully out for a few months, and suppliers buy in advance, I'd guess for the most part little if anything has changed yet.

Perhaps we can do deals with equipment manufacturers from all over to supply whatever is needed, or materials where required to manufacture stuff ourselves. 

All things considered, it really is too early to make judgements yet.

10 minutes ago, Sweep said:

. .. But have we got the lower bills we were promised?  - yes or no?

I think that's what Spider would like you to answer.

At this precise moment in time Mine is cheaper than last year or the year before yes. 

when my fix ends I won’t be so smug but as it stands today it’s cheaper, for me. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

Ah good. It was a combination of factors. Not Brexit. 

Well done. 

Glad you've clarified that.

Like the old bloke coughing and spluttering and looking forlorn in the corner of Ladbrokes - you're on the wrong horse. Again.

I’m just relieved I don’t have to order 568millilitres of Guinness every time I go to the bar from now on. It’s been a nightmare.

I’m sorry you don’t read what I write properly. Maybe if I was some shallow-pate, right wing malcontent furiously pressing my quill into the parchment of the Telegraph’s opinion pages you’d pay more attention. I prefer fortful to forlorn, and rather that than be so entrenched that even  when faced with reasonable counterpoints, your reaction is simply to cuddle closer to your Brexit tribalism like a xenophobic and frankly terrified elder.

Im not going to gargle Johnson’s piss. Sorry, you’ll have to do it luv.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I’m currently with bulb talk of them needing some bail out soon 

Glad I went with octopus, though I suppose they'll all be affected.

Trouble is apparently some suppliers don't want customers from failed companies being given to them, as the high prices and cap may mean they're making nowt.

Funny thing is, having read the article I posted, a lot of this is down to speculation and the press get hold of it and the next thing apocalypse is upon us. European gas stocks down around 16% from the previous 5 year average and its causing concern in case there is a big demand in a bad winter.

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't be arsed anymore Paul.

I'm just glad that for some time now, successive governments have realised the need to energy security and green energy and started to do something about it. 

No doubt in decades to come the powers that be may look at things and say we should have done this and not that but hindsight is great.

First commercial wind farm was in 1991 apparently, so 30 of subsequent developments. 

Me neither. But sometimes its so blatant that it needs robust challenge. Remoaners (as opposed to remainers of whom huge numbers can also no longer be arsed) will eventually become like modern day communists - continuing the cause in the face of all historic and current evidence. Steve Bray and is daft hat and Farrelli to the fore.

I agree about energy security and green energy - although one of the things being pointed out here is that the wind hasn't been blowing and we're getting a bit over-reliant on that method. Plenty of analysts have been saying the same for a while. Firing up old coal fired power stations clearly isn't the answer either but energy policy generally needs a long hard think and this Government needs to grip it.

And in answer to those asking if my energy bills are cheaper - yes they are when compared to 2019/20. I'm not claiming that as a win for Brexit because that would be opportunistic. Nor will I blame Brexit if/when they go up. 

• Site Supporter

The lower wind speed is a weird one, and probably an anomaly given the atmosphere is more energetic!

No doubt solar, biomass etc are going to be needed.

Hydrogen for homes sounds good- I saw a debate about it in the house, and there was quite a bit of forceful backbench pressure aimed at getting it sorted quickly, and in particular green hydrogen and not the stupid bloody blue stuff made from natural gas.

• Site Supporter

Diver is close when he mentions the amount of energy that exists beneath our feet, by the way.

Ground Source heating, like Air Source, is abundant and endless. Again, it’s sometimes easy to obtain, sometimes impossible, but it’s there and all it needs is the will (and cash) to go and get it.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Spider said:

Diver is close when he mentions the amount of energy that exists beneath our feet, by the way.

Ground Source heating, like Air Source, is abundant and endless. Again, it’s sometimes easy to obtain, sometimes impossible, but it’s there and all it needs is the will (and cash) to go and get it.

Think he meant gas!

I saw a brief thing about ground source for a housing development. Some narrow but bloody deep holes. 

Won't this just speed up the cooling of the earth core, turning us into another Mars?

Stick with harnessing the power of the sun, in whatever form that comes.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Solar is key, free energy, we just need to work out how to harness it better.

As is wind, biomass etc. All powered by the sun.

Have a look at this bad boy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dezeen.com/2021/08/26/wind-catching-systems-floating-offshore-farm/amp/

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As is wind, biomass etc. All powered by the sun.

Have a look at this bad boy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dezeen.com/2021/08/26/wind-catching-systems-floating-offshore-farm/amp/

Aye, need to make use of it all. Funny how wind has been down for us recently, must be the gulf stream or something missing us. I hope it doesn't come and bite us in winter, fucking hate wind with rain and added when added to the cold it is depressing as fuck.

The gas prices have exposed the meat industry to serious CO2 shortage on top of labour problems directly due to brexit.   In short this government had not planned at all how we were going to address the loss of key EU workers across important sectors of our economy. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

The gas prices have exposed the meat industry to serious CO2 shortage on top of labour problems directly due to brexit.   In short this government had not planned at all how we were going to address the loss of key EU workers across important sectors of our economy. 

Prove it

Oh, and see Clement Atlee

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Not all meat comes packed in plastic.

We're being told to eat less of it anyway. 

And there we have it. A discussion on wholesale gas prices rising across the world shoehorned and diverted into a discussion about brexit And shortage in labour supply (whilst we have an unemployment rate at c4.8%) 

anyone want to mention taking the knee as well And we have a full set?? Any takers? Boooooo

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

And there we have it. A discussion on wholesale gas prices rising across the world shoehorned and diverted into a discussion about brexit And shortage in labour supply (whilst we have an unemployment rate at c4.8%) 

anyone want to mention taking the knee as well And we have a full set?? Any takers? Boooooo

You forgot Scotch independence.

And anyway, democracy tends to involve the ability to vote every few years.

Communism is when you vote once then never again.

Think on.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

No doubt some workers left because of brexit. However none of these issues materialised until we started to come out of the pandemic. Weird.

The pandemic has been responsible for a lot of workers going back home. That's all due to brexit too.

It was developed to kill remainers by Boris, but he fucked it up and it kills anyone.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

You forgot Scotch independence.

And anyway, democracy tends to involve the ability to vote every few years.

Communism is when you vote once then never again.

Think on.

Tbf independence hasn’t been mentioned for quite some time. 

I suspect whilst he’s getting upset about brexit still And trying to steer every thread onto it his wife is upstairs wired into the mains making full use of a fossil fuel powered rabbit or similar. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Tbf independence hasn’t been mentioned for quite some time. 

I suspect whilst he’s getting upset about brexit still And trying to steer every thread onto it his wife is upstairs wired into the mains making full use of a fossil fuel powered rabbit or similar. 

She'll have bright eyes.