Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

18 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Had to look him up.

Another Chelsea player who played zero league games for Chelsea & was sold for £18m.

Didn't you just know he'd be playing for a London club.

He's probably played more games than Maguire lately and Phillips who both play for northern clubs, yet get called up 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Marc505 said:

City mate scoffs whenever someone suggests "somethings" going on with Foden or that for whatever reason his club and international managers don't trust him to play in certain games. He's 23 though, I'd want to be starting him every single game if I could!

Pep rarely gives anyone regular game time except Haaland 

In turn Southgate probably wants someone who plays every game 

I'd say the lack of consistent game time is more likely the issue than the lad himself 

But at some point he must think playing every week is important

6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

City & Stretford. Along with Lerpool, that's not the same as 'Northern'.

So you're saying he only gets called up because he plays for a London club? 

Ok Maguire and Phillips play for Manchester clubs yet get picked 

It still doesn't make your point any more understandable 

11 minutes ago, Zico said:

Pep rarely gives anyone regular game time except Haaland 

In turn Southgate probably wants someone who plays every game 

I'd say the lack of consistent game time is more likely the issue than the lad himself 

But at some point he must think playing every week is important

Agree to a point, but then the Maguire thing doesn't make sense. 

I'm not a huge fan of Maguire but I also recognise that he's never let Southgate down and is obviously one of his most trusted tournament players like Pickford is, regardless of their club form/appearances. That's why they both keep getting selected and start games, it's almost not even worth people arguing about, that's just how it's going to be until he leaves the job.

In years to come we might be watching a 39 year old Foden still ripping it up and say I'm glad we didnt burn him out in his youth by smashing him through every single club and international fixture. I just wish we could watch him play more!

Edited by Marc505

I didn't think it was the right selection to take on Ukraine but I hadn't banked on so many playing so badly. A few were steady but not one of them had a great game. Even Rice - who I rate - was ball watching for their goal. Maybe Kane even though he was forced into a deeper role? Kyle Walker? But Maddison, Saka et al were way off it and should have been hooked before half time.

Not a big fan of Raheem Sterling but if there was ever a time to pick him it was this game as his league form has been so good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Agree to a point, but then the Maguire thing doesn't make sense. 

I think that's because our options in defence are far more limited and a Maguire who never plays is still better than Tomori or Dunk

He's always picking Saka and Kane, and now Madison is playing well in a winning team it's getting the best out of him 

And then you've got Grealish, Foden, Rashford 

And Wilson 

And now maybe Eze 

With Gallagher coming on for Saka yesterday 

Lots of competition for basically one starting place

46 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Ze Germans were pumped 4-1 by Japan. Are they doing too much virtue signalling as well? 

I couldn't give a constipated monkey's shite what the Krauts are doing.

We now know, via Henderson, what a pile of hypocritical, band-wagonning bollox it's all been but Southall and his core group don't know how to stop it.