Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

22 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Saka well on the way to being an all-time England great 

How many international goals is Kane going to finish with? 80-90?

58 goals and he's 30 next month, will be close to that amount I reckon.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, stevieb said:

It's got socceraid vibes about it this game. 

Did consider getting a ticket and taking the lad but eventually swerved the idea. Not sure it's any better watching on TV. 

Nothing like Socceraid. 

5 of us went. Really glad we did.

Top class performers, performing at their best, very impressive.

We have got some talent in this squad,  lucky to be around in this generation - I genuinely feel we can win a major trophy.

12 minutes ago, desperado said:

Nothing like Socceraid. 

5 of us went. Really glad we did.

Top class performers, performing at their best, very impressive.

We have got some talent in this squad,  lucky to be around in this generation - I genuinely feel we can win a major trophy.

Just the first 30 mins / 2-0 ish ...kicked into gear after that but it felt slow and happy clapper until then

Agree with the bold bit. 

• Site Supporter

Just finished on 4+1.

Brilliant. TAA really is good in the midfield.

As good as Grealish is, he frustrates at times by holding onto the ball too long.

Some good runs off him but he doesn't release the ball.

Very good performance.

Desperado- was that your Bolton flag behind the goal?

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Desperado- was that your Bolton flag behind the goal?

No pal not me.

We were at the side. 

Still trying to decide whether Saka and Rashford looked better either side of the striker, or Grealish and Foden.

Both pairs effective for different reasons. Rashford and Saka both have pace to burn and are very direct.

Grealish and Foden have lots of guile, class and can pick a ball through an eye of a needle. 

Great options to have. Loved watching  them live 

I havent watched either of the 2 games for one reason or another but reading reports of how TAA has suddenly become our main man in midfield.    

I know the opposition hasnt helped but how good has he looked and does this continue or just an experiment that wouldnt work against top end teams ?   If this is to continue then would he still fit in when Bellingham comes back in and what would your 1st choice midfield look like ?

I ask on here as I know theres quite a few go to the games everywhere 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Watched last night, TAA has a great range of passing but isn't a patch on Bellingham overall.

He'd perhaps play alongside Rice like Philips/Henderson do now but isn't replacing anyone else in there 

Yeh, I agree.

Bellingham and Rice are first 2 picks in our midfield. 

I’ve not watched Liverpool enough to know, has TAA been playing midfield for them too?

He’s certainly the winner in terms game time, performance and redemption (bit strong - but he’d seemingly been cast aside by Southgate), these last 2 games, he’s played very well.

10 hours ago, desperado said:

No pal not me.

We were at the side. 

Still trying to decide whether Saka and Rashford looked better either side of the striker, or Grealish and Foden.

Both pairs effective for different reasons. Rashford and Saka both have pace to burn and are very direct.

Grealish and Foden have lots of guile, class and can pick a ball through an eye of a needle. 

Great options to have. Loved watching  them live 

fodens not been the same since the world cup, also dropped at city, he'll come good again though 

Saka, Rashford & Kane will yield more goals than the other option imo 

we've just to many good players in similar positions, impossible for southgate 

11 hours ago, desperado said:

We murder poor teams in the qualifiers.

Freeze when it matters at a tournament. 

Rinse repeat for decades now.

Ferdinand/Terry/Cole/Beckham/Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney etc never won anything and this current team isn’t as good IMO.

I do accept we “appear” to be getting closer than they did though.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Ferdinand/Terry/Cole/Beckham/Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney etc never won anything and this current team isn’t as good IMO.

We only "appear" to be getting closer? We lost the Euro 2020 final on penalties! Can't get much closer than that.

3 hours ago, desperado said:

Yeh, I agree.

Bellingham and Rice are first 2 picks in our midfield. 

I’ve not watched Liverpool enough to know, has TAA been playing midfield for them too?

He’s certainly the winner in terms game time, performance and redemption (bit strong - but he’d seemingly been cast aside by Southgate), these last 2 games, he’s played very well.

There seems to be a big media/commentator push for TAA to be declared Godlike. He's played well, tbf, but the love-in is heavy.

Bellingham won't be losing first spot to him.

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

can't agree with this teams ins't as good as the 'golden generation' it's miles better imo

the so called golden generation struggled to break dog n duck teams down in qualifiers time and time again and also failed to make one major tournament, they also never got past a 1/4 final 

albeit we haven't got over the line yet, we've been closer than we've ever been since 66 and we'll win the euros next year 

Classy, confident performance - even Flathead looked composed.

I know the opposition wasn't top notch but they aren't a bad team and have put the likes of Italy to the sword in recent times so you have to say we did a proper professional job on them.

England are in a good place at the moment.