Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

7 hours ago, Mantra said:

Klopp once said of Southgate:

“That is possible but why would you make the best right-back in the world a midfielder? I don't understand that really.

Was only against Malta, but even Klopp has had to make him an inverted full back for Liverpool second half of the season. Be interesting to see where Trent's career goes from here

Am sorry but what exactly is an inverted full back ?   

6 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Loads of Bolton out here, we've had a ball.  It's not just about the football, it's about everything but it.  GSOGK

Pleased we won (As we should) nice to hear we took a few, went to Malta Pre season when Allardyce was manager, probably best ever Pre season trip, and the Maltese are quality folk. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It was on Viaplay (formerly Premier Sports). Caught the last 10 minutes and they were harshly done to by a VAR decision that took a full 5 minutes to decide. Fuck that. 

For some reason via play wouldn’t play on my dodgy box. See Charles only got 20 minutes so didn’t miss much. 

2 hours ago, W.cramp said:

What City started doing with Stones and Lewis being next to Rodri in possession and dropping to RB for defence.

They have pretty much moved to a 2 at the back now with little defensive duties on Stones

27 minutes ago, green genie said:

What City started doing with Stones and Lewis being next to Rodri in possession and dropping to RB for defence.

They have pretty much moved to a 2 at the back now with little defensive duties on Stones

Yeah essentially, full backs playing further forward but tucked into midfield, rather than out wide as wing-backs. 

18 minutes ago, captainmed said:

I used to go to a lot of England games.

Once Barnaby started going and then his girlfriend I stopped.

Dislike GS with a passion too.

I used to everywhere, but stopped long before you, I reckon.
Had enough by late 90's

3 hours ago, W.cramp said:

1 hour ago, green genie said:

Yeah, Cancelo was City's man for it before he left for Bayern. Walker wasn't technical enough to do it from Right Back and Rico Lewis is only a youngster, so Pep instead asked Stones to be a hybrid of CB/DM. Rather than a standard inverted fullback.

Arsenal also do it with Zinchenko.

Basically in a 4-3-3 it turns your midfield into a 4 man midfield (as the full back sits alongside the DM) which then gives you a numerical advantage in the middle of the pitch, since most teams play with a 3 or 2 man midfield.

I'm honestly suprised more teams aren't doing it given how much success Pep and Arteta have had with it.

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Yeah, Cancelo was City's man for it before he left for Bayern. Walker wasn't technical enough to do it from Right Back and Rico Lewis is only a youngster, so Pep instead asked Stones to be a hybrid of CB/DM. Rather than a standard inverted fullback.

Arsenal also do it with Zinchenko.

Basically in a 4-3-3 it turns your midfield into a 4 man midfield (as the full back sits alongside the DM) which then gives you a numerical advantage in the middle of the pitch, since most teams play with a 3 or 2 man midfield.

I'm honestly suprised more teams aren't doing it given how much success Pep and Arteta have had with it.

Watch out, it’s Evatt’s plan for Jones next season 😎

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

What will likely be one of the most exciting Ashes series for a generation just kicked off and the US Open leaderboard already looking tasty - zero reason to be watching some meaningless football at the moment!

No footy so cricket and golf are your go to suggestions. 🥱

No wonder everyone gets so excited about pre season games the summer time sports options are shite. 

1 hour ago, leigh white said:

Watching Gazza tonight pre match interview, his hand was shaking like fuck holding the mic, poor lad.

Yeah he didn't look great. Even if he's not on the piss anymore the damage is done. He can barely string a sentence together.