Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, L/H White said:

has martin lewis suggested we all cancel our direct debits, or is this just the facebook monsters without fuck all else to do?

Quite the opposite. He's been advising people NOT to do that.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ani said:

Our utility company had advised us to increase payments for £240 per month to £420. 

My retirement pot is not index linked but is invested in the falling stockmarket. I may have to get a job at this rate. Missus is genuinely worried about how her mum will pay her bills with just a state pension. 

I pretended none of this was happening

but the other half is now on the case and looks like we're going in fixed at aroudn the same £420 which has more than doubled

she mentioned something about 2 more increases after October

but there's no notice period/exit fee on this fixed term, so if things weren't as bad as expected, we can shop around

well, she can shop around

I'll just pretend it's not happening or anything to do with me, and wear extra jumpers when WFH

I’m thinking wife packs in part time job which would just about cover the fuel cost here in UK and spend winter in Spain where I won’t need the gas and electricity so much. I won’t gain financially but won’t be any worse off and the wife gets to pack in work and we will be in a decent climate. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m thinking wife packs in part time job which would just about cover the fuel cost here in UK and spend winter in Spain where I won’t need the gas and electricity so much. I won’t gain financially but won’t be any worse off and the wife gets to pack in work and we will be in a decent climate. 

Article earlier about Spain. Hugely suffering from a water shortage in some areas, which is impacting on food production (tomatoes for example).

Someone interviewed from the country explaining that they need a huge review and change to their water management. 

You might be warm, but you might be thirsty!

26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Article earlier about Spain. Hugely suffering from a water shortage in some areas, which is impacting on food production (tomatoes for example).

Someone interviewed from the country explaining that they need a huge review and change to their water management. 

Just had 3 weeks over there… no issues with water, only issue was shortage of ice in the supermarkets. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Just had 3 weeks over there… no issues with water, only issue was shortage of ice in the supermarkets. 

Give it time.

Just like everywhere at the moment; climate playing havoc. Sierra Leone, Pakistan, China just three places on the news being fucked over by flooding. 

The Spanish lady was extremely concerned over the impact it was having on a major industry of there, and what the future would present to them.

57 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Give it time.

Just like everywhere at the moment; climate playing havoc. Sierra Leone, Pakistan, China just three places on the news being fucked over by flooding. 

The Spanish lady was extremely concerned over the impact it was having on a major industry of there, and what the future would present to them.

Saw news article yesterday Spain spending on new desalination plants, not the cheapest way to produce drinking water but I suppose it’s needed as a back up if all else fails. 

3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

No brainer. Get gone mate 

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Saw news article yesterday Spain spending on new desalination plants, not the cheapest way to produce drinking water but I suppose it’s needed as a back up if all else fails. 

Indeed. Then begs the question, where does the energy come from to do that?

Kinell, here the authorities are having to plan for insufficient electricity this winter because of Norway's good weather. Its made their hydro electricity supply vulnerable which means they may have to use their own gas instead, which in turn may mean reduced supplies to customers. 

Meanwhile the short termists bang on about fracking as if its a panacea. 

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Indeed. Then begs the question, where does the energy come from to do that?

Kinell, here the authorities are having to plan for insufficient electricity this winter because of Norway's good weather. Its made their hydro electricity supply vulnerable which means they may have to use their own gas instead, which in turn may mean reduced supplies to customers. 

Meanwhile the short termists bang on about fracking as if its a panacea. 

Spain ok for gas got underwater pipeline from Algeria. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Saw this 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62707435.amp

Their worst ever drought 

Olive oil to be affected