Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

An interesting article, but as someone who has spoken about confirmation bias, you'll know all about it.

Someone else could quite easily write an article with a different set of stats, facts etc and come up with a different angle. 

It's certainly the case that as yet, brexit benefits are hidden the big issues of the day, and that the initial bumps in the road that we knew would come along have been felt, so things aren't great at the moment. 

The world's biggest windfall is in the process of opening (Hornsea 2) which is an indicator of the continued pursuit of an energy policy that is expensive at the moment (green levies) but should see us better off in the long run.

We've heard a lot about potentially dropping them for a while, to reduce bills. If this happened it would reduce inflationary pressures. 

If that happened and the figures dropped, would folk then be saying brexit is causing problems? Despite the fact that the policy has been pursued by successive governments and isn't anything to do with leaving the EU.

It is interesting that the article fails to mention any of that and the problems that Germany has are anticipated to get significantly worse very soon. The rest is genral language with no specifics. I wonder if they'll come back with another article if the issues there do indeed worsen or last longer than elsewhere?

I doubt it.

I know posting that article is an 'argument from authority' fallacy. And I know that there will be an element of confirmation bias too. To be fair - it's refuted elsewhere in the article. 

But leaving the EU HAS increased the costs associated with trading with our largest trading partners. I can't see how that could possibly be anything other that an inflationary pressure. Irrespective of what's going on elsewhere in the world. 

We are (at least I hope temporarily) less able to withstand global factors than we were inside the EU. Partly because we've made our lives more difficult. 

Anyway - I'm saying all this respectfully - and in good humour. You know what boards are like - it comes across like we're being arsey sometimes when we're not 😁

• Moderators
5 hours ago, DazBob said:

Just caught a snippet of a headline on the news saying families will have to make a choice of skipping meals or putting the heating on this winter.

Sorry, not having that for 99% of families.  A family can eat for a cost of almost fuck all.  It just means actually using pans and stuff.

Skipping home delivered meals is probably more accurate 

• Site Supporter

We've been using these gusto things. 4 meals for 4 people amd it's 50 quid.. does us 5 days as some days we just have it for us 2. 

Reduces our spending massively as we're not nipping shop constantly.. and takes time to prep and cook etc. 

2 hours ago, royal white said:

A couple of the neighbours must be into double figures for deliveries per week. Lazy fuckers 

We probably eat out three or four times a week, and get a couple of takeaeays. Probably only cook once or twice a week

Edited by Sweep

After a day and night in London on Wednesday, crisis? What crisis? 
Back here in Bolton we’ve cut back on things like we did after the crash in 2008. We survived then, we’ll survive again. 

“Stop watching the news

Because the news contrives to frighten you.”

Morrissey 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BobyBrno said:

After a day and night in London on Wednesday, crisis? What crisis? 
Back here in Bolton we’ve cut back on things like we did after the crash in 2008. We survived then, we’ll survive again. 

“Stop watching the news

Because the news contrives to frighten you.”

Morrissey 

Posted elsewhere but

Gone sim only - saved 40

Rang virgin - 33 off broadband and phone

Called sky - about 30 saved for same services

Cancelled bt sport - saved 36

140 quid

I post this only to flag up how its likely ppl might be paying more than necessary

We were out of contract so obvs its easier

We're not really cutting back much to be honest, as we're not feeling much of a pinch if truth be told. My business is still growing albeit slower than hoped and at lower profit margins than expected and the wife has lost some of her business, but we're not much worse off than pre-pandemic, so we tootle on.

I'm wary of cutting back early and then having no wriggle room when the shit does hit the fan.

PS Once again, I'm grateful for the support from sections of the WW community in keeping my business going.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Traf said:

We're not really cutting back much to be honest, as we're not feeling much of a pinch if truth be told. My business is still growing albeit slower than hoped and at lower profit margins than expected and the wife has lost some of her business, but we're not much worse off than pre-pandemic, so we tootle on.

I'm wary of cutting back early and then having no wriggle room when the shit does hit the fan.

PS Once again, I'm grateful for the support from sections of the WW community in keeping my business going.

This is where we're at. We don't budget for weekly expenditure. We can either buy something or not. 

Keep spending locally folks. Fuck the big chains. 

Keep your gardners, keep going to your local butchers and shit like that.

Fuck your spoons and m&b brands, get in your local bistros and italians, keep em going.

Keep spending, but with your fellow man.

15 hours ago, only1swanny said:

We've been using these gusto things. 4 meals for 4 people amd it's 50 quid.. does us 5 days as some days we just have it for us 2. 

Reduces our spending massively as we're not nipping shop constantly.. and takes time to prep and cook etc. 

yes we use hello fresh think it’s £36

mix the shopping between aldi & asda it usually works out at around £140 a week all in 

• Site Supporter
On 20/08/2022 at 07:09, MickyD said:

This is where we're at. We don't budget for weekly expenditure. We can either buy something or not. 

Us too. We’re a couple of pensioners and I was asked to go back to work for a couple of days a week. That’s paid for a holiday in October and getting my debt off. After new year when I’m debt free we can manage without me working but we’ve not really cut down.

On 20/08/2022 at 07:18, gonzo said:

Keep spending locally folks. Fuck the big chains. 

Keep your gardners, keep going to your local butchers and shit like that.

Fuck your spoons and m&b brands, get in your local bistros and italians, keep em going.

Keep spending, but with your fellow man.

Correct attitude and that's what's keeping my business afloat.

I'm not always massively cheaper than the dotcoms, but I'll offer a better service.

40 minutes ago, Traf said:

I'm not always massively cheaper than the dotcoms, but I'll offer a better service.

That’s why I booked my holiday through your good self, I prefer peace of mind.   Ive dealt with quite a few on here, mortgages etc, and all have been spot on, the posters on here have a good name to keep, I always try to buy where I know.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

I don’t know you apart from on here , but I always book with a local agent. When my wife had her fall in Torremolinos in January they,  and the airline were brilliant in getting us home early at minimal cost . 
So much so we’ve booked again for October through them.

I could have booked direct but decided to buy local. Was a great decision, as there were forms galore in January too.

6 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I don’t know you apart from on here , but I always book with a local agent. When my wife had her fall in Torremolinos in January they,  and the airline were brilliant in getting us home early at minimal cost . 
So much so we’ve booked again for October through them.

I could have booked direct but decided to buy local. Was a great decision, as there were forms galore in January too.

Great stuff.
Using a local agent, that is, not the wife's fall.

I'd rather folk used me, of course, but if not, please use another agent rather than a dotcom, the latter are very little help on that odd occasion things go wrong.

34 minutes ago, Traf said:

Great stuff.
Using a local agent, that is, not the wife's fall.

I'd rather folk used me, of course, but if not, please use another agent rather than a dotcom, the latter are very little help on that odd occasion things go wrong.

I just sort stuff separately by myself.

Flights, villa and car hire.

I've always assumed that's the cheapest way to do it. Am I missing a trick here?

7 hours ago, mickbrown said:

I've always assumed that's the cheapest way to do it. Am I missing a trick here?

Yes, very much so. If owt goes wrong then you’ve got a pro arguing on your behalf with the experience to get it sorted

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, wiggy said:

My son hasn’t been feeling well today so decided the only thing he could stomach was Heinz tomato soup. One regular tin in the co-op is now £1.55. One tin!

£5 for six tins at Morrisons. Buy two lots (12 tins) for £8.

14 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Each to their own. You might save a couple of quid, you might not.
You've definitely very little protection if one of your suppliers goes bump and certainly nobody handling any admin for you.