Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ipswich away

gonzo

Not sure what latest numbers are but they sold over 16k S/Ts by end June when the early discounts were still on.  The most they'd sold in 10 years (similar to us).  So probably around 17 or 18k S/Ts by now, it would be impressive if they sold another 8k or so matchday tickets for Saturday at this time of year, and prices not cheap.

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Getting giddy for this now. Still think we'll get trounced which will lead to a massive over reaction meltdown yet go on to have a good season, but giddy regardless.

Why do you think that we’ll get trounced?

I really don’t get everyone bumming Ipswich just coz they have an ex Manu coach.

We beat them at home convincingly, even though they had more possession. 

Yes, they improved after Cooke was sacked but we still had a better record than them from January to May.

Have faith, watch us win, then celebrate. 🍻

But keep off the Tequila.🤣

1 minute ago, Steejay said:

Why do you think that we’ll get trounced?

I really don’t get everyone bumming Ipswich just coz they have an ex Manu coach.

We beat them at home convincingly, even though they had more possession. 

Yes, they improved after Cooke was sacked but we still had a better record than them from January to May.

Have faith, watch us win, then celebrate. 🍻

But keep off the Tequila.🤣

Its got nothing to do with either team its just a vibe I get, I always have a strange fear/excitement about opening day. Get turned over 4-0 here but end up winning play offs I'll take it 😃

Jesus, no tequila, no jager, and no putting flags up in home fans pubs!

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Its got nothing to do with either team its just a vibe I get, I always have a strange fear/excitement about opening day. Get turned over 4-0 here but end up winning play offs I'll take it 😃

See, I’m convinced  that we’ll win.

I’ll be devastated if we draw. 

Not sure how I’m getting home, mind.

2 minutes ago, Steejay said:

See, I’m convinced  that we’ll win.

I’ll be devastated if we draw. 

Not sure how I’m getting home, mind.

I'd be delighted with a draw, I'll meet you in the middle!

The state of some of them tins you sup it'll be a success just getting you in there 😃

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I'd be delighted with a draw, I'll meet you in the middle!

The state of some of them tins you sup it'll be a success just getting you in there 😃

Well hopefully we’ll get there for kick off.

Gonna be a long trip on that coach, state of that bog after 5 hours. 🙄

• Members
28 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Any tips on any food/boozers and parking would be greatly appreciated folks.

Only been here twice and the last one was 20 years ago 

There is a NCP right outside the away end and a couple of others within half a mile , not sure about boozers.

Edited by burnden

11 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Well hopefully we’ll get there for kick off.

Gonna be a long trip on that coach, state of that bog after 5 hours. 🙄

Congested roads and a coach full of backed up piss, what could possibly go wrong?

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Yeah, I remember getting excited about Sammy Lee's first game, most anticipated opening day for a few years 

I'm excited about this season 

I don't like it

38 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Boozers are hard to get in town Most have bouncers and don’t let away fans in, probably get in spoons and there’s the station hotel which is the away pub that will be no doubt rammed 

24 minutes ago, burnden said:

There is a NCP right outside the away end and a couple of others within half a mile , not sure about boozers.

Pub next to the Station is a designated away pub, pubs near the ground aren't keen on away fans, their website tells you quite a bit about the local area

looking forward to this now, loads of my family will be there, I'm driving down my pals and we are staying over night, drop the motor off and away we go.  One of my brothers lives in Freethorpe just outside Norwich, he's already asked me to take him down Smileys book, he's well up for this, can't wait, setting off at 6am.

54 minutes ago, Zico said:

Yeah, I remember getting excited about Sammy Lee's first game, most anticipated opening day for a few years 

I'm excited about this season 

I don't like it

I used to get far too fired up for the 1st game.  Especially in the 80s when I was desperate for us to start any season well just to be "top half" for a couple of weeks at least.  It resulted in loads of disappointments and feeling gutted when in reality its just one game in a marathon season.  The opening games from 2 and 3 years ago also put things in massive perspective for me: Wycombe on the day we thought we wouldn't see, so that a 2-0 defeat was still celebrated; then Forest Green (0-1) when we had the worst line up for a league game I've ever seen aside from the games with kids.  In that context I won't get down if we lose at Ipswich because I know we'll enjoy the season.  

9 hours ago, gonzo said:

Station pub opposite the station is the away fans pub, decent outside beer garden & carpark there that's reasonably priced. Limited parking spots so get there early. Also easy to get away after if you're quick back to the car. 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

tried to buy tickets earlier, and although i can log in, my account is locked

anyone else had this? hope its a clerical thing... 

yes, I had this. Emailed the club who said it all looked ok but said I’d perhaps be better phoning for a ticket on this occasion.

Tried again the following day, it was working.

13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I used to get far too fired up for the 1st game.  Especially in the 80s when I was desperate for us to start any season well just to be "top half" for a couple of weeks at least.  It resulted in loads of disappointments and feeling gutted when in reality its just one game in a marathon season.  The opening games from 2 and 3 years ago also put things in massive perspective for me: Wycombe on the day we thought we wouldn't see, so that a 2-0 defeat was still celebrated; then Forest Green (0-1) when we had the worst line up for a league game I've ever seen aside from the games with kids.  In that context I won't get down if we lose at Ipswich because I know we'll enjoy the season.  

Reading this  got me thinking about previous memorable opening day fixtures, a topic possibly worth a thread of its own , and before referring to the record books to look up the dates and scores , and leaving aside the Wycome game which will be forever remembered for reasons of its own, these are the ones that came to mind.

Burnley away in 77/8 - promotion season 1-0 win, massive Wanderers following, Trinity street packed at 11am, fans running amok all over Burnley Town Centre. Great day out. 

Bristol City home 78/9 - first ever first division game, got beat 2-1 by a team that we did not really regard as being "first division" opponents, euphoria and excitement evaporated in minutes and realised it was going to be a long and tough season. 

Grimsby Away 94/5 - 3-3 - great entertaining first game  of the season

Wimbledon 95/6 lost 3-2 first game in premier League - probably hottest day ever for watching a match

Leicester 2001/02 that amazing 5-0 win - awesome performance 

only one i have any memory of from the 80s was Southend in 88 and that was not for the football. 

Be interesting to read of those that others recall 

Edited by Benny The Ball

• Site Supporter

Southampton on the opening day of 97/98 season - I wore an illuminous yellow Diadora tee-shirt. Didn't half attract the wasps in the beer garden in that boozer near the Dell, was it called The Winston?

Enjoyed both Grimsby games to be fair. The 0-0 game was our first back in the 2nd tier so it was good to get off to a solid enough start.

Leicester was a cracker too - missed a mates wedding to go to that. Think I made the right decision, I still got to the night do.

Notts County away first game of 1980/81 - don't particularly remember it but it's where it all began for me. A 6 year old boy stood on the open terrace in the sunshine, oblivious to the rollercoaster i'd just set foot on.

Saturday marks the start of season number 43

38 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Reading this  got me thinking about previous memorable opening day fixtures, a topic possibly worth a thread of its own , and before referring to the record books to look up the dates and scores , and leaving aside the Wycome game which will be forever remembered for reasons of its own, these are the ones that came to mind.

Burnley away in 77/8 - promotion season 1-0 win, massive Wanderers following, Trinity street packed at 11am, fans running amok all over Burnley Town Centre. Great day out. 

Bristol City home 78/9 - first ever first division game, got beat 2-1 by a team that we did not really regard as being "first division" opponents, euphoria and excitement evaporated in minutes and realised it was going to be a long and tough season. 

Grimsby Away 94/5 - 3-3 - great entertaining first game  of the season

Wimbledon 95/6 lost 3-2 first game in premier League - probably hottest day ever for watching a match

Leicester 2001/02 that amazing 5-0 win - awesome performance 

only one i have any memory of from the 80s was Southend in 88 and that was not for the football. 

Be interesting to read of those that others recall 

QPR 0-4 Bolton 2011/2012. Worth the extortionate ticket prices. About £50 I recall.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

QPR 0-4 Bolton 2011/2012. Worth the extortionate ticket prices. About £50 I recall.

Aye, i boycotted on the strength of that. Had my first weekend away with my now wife in Chester though so didn't end all that badly