Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

School Holidays

royal white

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Pound shop Rishi of the lower middle class 😁

You’re out of touch with the current Labour Party. They are going out of their way to show their ‘working class’ background. Lower middle class doesn’t cut it.

10 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

You’re out of touch with the current Labour Party. They are going out of their way to show their ‘working class’ background. Lower middle class doesn’t cut it.

That's where they're going wrong, because "working class" doesn't exist anymore, and hasn't done so for decades

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

That's where they're going wrong, because "working class" doesn't exist anymore, and hasn't done so for decades

Agree.

The whole class concept is outdated and frankly a bag of bollocks.

Still get folk with a chip on their shoulder exhibiting inverse snobbery and undoubtedly others from wealthier/privileged backgrounds who look down, but they can be categorised together as cunts.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Agree.

The whole class concept is outdated and frankly a bag of bollocks.

Still get folk with a chip on their shoulder exhibiting inverse snobbery and undoubtedly others from wealthier/privileged backgrounds who look down, but they can be categorised together as cunts.

It's not bollocks - certainly demographic categorisation isn't for many fields, and really helps in terms of policy.

And we are a very class structured society still, it's just some can't see what's in front of their faces.

30 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

C1s still exist, but need to be communicated to differently.

Googled C1s and apart from a car, couldn’t find anything. Whoever they are, why do they need to be ‘communicated to differently’?

Day 1 yesterday with a 5-year-old. Wife in work. How the fuck am I meant to work? Impossible. She needs 100% attention. Took her to the park and promised her an ice cream. Turns out 99% of the schools in the area hadn't broken up yet. No sign of the ice cream man. Only one other kid on the park. First broken promise of the holiday!!

"Working" parents with no child support. 'Kin hard work! Anyway, kids clubs open next week, bang her in those for the days when we aren't gallivanting around the UK.

1 hour ago, BobyBrno said:

The working class aren’t the poorest. I’m working class and I ain’t being screwed by anyone.

Aye think its long travelled from being income based. I live in a middle class area, probably earn middle class wages but couldn't be anymore working class if I tried :D

11 hours ago, gonzo said:

Aye think its long travelled from being income based. I live in a middle class area, probably earn middle class wages but couldn't be anymore working class if I tried :D

I agree, it's definitely not (or shouldn't be income based now) - I've got a mate who still professes to be "working class"......he lives in a lovely house, he has another couple of properties he rents out, he has a house in Spain, and his kids go to a local private school......yet he still tells folk he's definitely working class, as he goes to the office every day and manages the recruitment company he owns (no it's not our resident recruiter 🙂)

I'd say that if working class does exist, then it's people like Gonzo who do actual physical graft, and there is very little of that around these days. Working class is certainly not being in sales and earning 50K per year, poncing around in an office.

I'd say, like it or not, the majority of people these days are middle class, which is nothing to be ashamed of. If you're not in any employment, no matter what the reason, then you're "non working" you're certainly not working class.

17 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I agree, it's definitely not (or shouldn't be income based now) - I've got a mate who still professes to be "working class"......he lives in a lovely house, he has another couple of properties he rents out, he has a house in Spain, and his kids go to a local private school......yet he still tells folk he's definitely working class, as he goes to the office every day and manages the recruitment company he owns (no it's not our resident recruiter 🙂)

I'd say that if working class does exist, then it's people like Gonzo who do actual physical graft, and there is very little of that around these days. Working class is certainly not being in sales and earning 50K per year, poncing around in an office.

I'd say, like it or not, the majority of people these days are middle class, which is nothing to be ashamed of. If you're not in any employment, no matter what the reason, then you're "non working" you're certainly not working class.

I was arguing with an ex footballer the other week, he was telling me he’s working class whilst we were sat in the garden of his million plus pound house! 

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

I was arguing with an ex footballer the other week, he was telling me he’s working class whilst we were sat in the garden of his million plus pound house! 

nut's isn't it. 

It's almost as though people are ashamed of not being working class. I personally can't think of anything worse than actually having to do some proper graft for a living 🙂

On the opposite side of the coin, Mrs Sweep have relatives who are professional scroungers, they know every trick in the book and haven't worked a day in their life....they also class themselves as working class

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

nut's isn't it. 

It's almost as though people are ashamed of not being working class. I personally can't think of anything worse than actually having to do some proper graft for a living 🙂

On the opposite side of the coin, Mrs Sweep have relatives who are professional scroungers, they know every trick in the book and haven't worked a day in their life....they also class themselves as working class

These are the fuckers who should be fruit picking! 

Its not hugely income based, although there are crossovers, and which is why socio-economic social grades are designed around jobs - not the money they bring in, but thats why they are socio-economic and not simply economic. 

The idea being that to be AB you have to be in a professional occupation which requires higher education to reach, whereas C2 is skilled maunual occupations which require training/apprentiships and DE are unskilled workers manual work.

Although these grades have proved a little broad for what sectors need it for, so Experian used these to create their Mosaic groups of which popular UK groups are things like Blue Collar Enterprise - the most popular group in the UK - which is what would be traditional working class but don't see themselves that way (or rather feel they are better off by their upbringing, which interestingly is one of the only social groups who do) 

image.png.589c79d3d1805ee2ff74f5562c078368.png

25 minutes ago, royal white said:

These are the fuckers who should be fruit picking! 

I agree, but they can barely get out of their pits in the morning, let alone commute the 100 odd miles to go and pick some apples 🙂

Sadly, they'll always be scroungers. They have a council house, and the mother has never worked, she  has 4 kids (Mrs Sweeps cousins) and 2 of them also very rarely work, and if they do, it'll be a couple of weeks cash in hand labouring...........them, and other like them, are never going to pick up the slack of the low paid low skilled foreigners that used to come in for seasonal work, no matter how much we want them to. And neither the Torys or Labour will ever stand on a manifesto of stopping benefit payments for these types of scroungers