Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In England

royal white

27 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Then he’d have been asked why. The reasoning would eventually because of religion. It was just going to be a matter for the camera crew to wait for the right footage.

Well, not really

The reasoning would be because he was intending to be provocative on the basis of his strong pro-Israel views

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

This

Nobody is defending his choice of words. It’s the nonsense narrative that these are terrorist marches & parts of London are no go zones. One that Mr. Falter has been perpetuating.

Funny watching people still trying to defend him the more that comes out.  

There are people on this very thread confused as to what the issue was with them

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

That's missing the point, though

It's the suggestion that being openly Jewish is itself a provocation that's caused such a stir

Well it was. 

If he had a tracksuit on and no camera man he'd have been OK.

Just now, gonzo said:

Well it was. 

If he had a tracksuit on and no camera man he'd have been OK.

The Met can't act on that basis, though

And if the simple matter of a person looking Jewish - whether it's Gideon Falter or any other Jewish person - is likely to cause a breach of the peace, questions need to be asked about whether the marches should be allowed to continue

There's claims on here that the idea Jewish people can't go to central London on a weekend because of th marches is a nonsense, and also that being visibly Jewish at a pro-Palestinian march is provocative

It can't be both

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The Met can't act on that basis, though

And if the simple matter of a person looking Jewish - whether it's Gideon Falter or any other Jewish person - is likely to cause a breach of the peace, questions need to be asked about whether the marches should be allowed to continue

There's claims on here that the idea Jewish people can't go to central London on a weekend because of th marches is a nonsense, and also that being visibly Jewish at a pro-Palestinian march is provocative

It can't be both

As always, it's a bit more nuanced than that. If a "visibly Jewish" person was just going about their normal business - popping to the shops or going for a meal or whatever, I doubt the police would have had any concerns at all. That clearly wasn't the case here. He was there to provocate and engage with the marchers, in the hope of filming some sort of negative interaction. That's basically his job. The police have prevented him from doing that, and one of them used some clumsy words, so now they have become the subject of his "story".

Edited by Cheese

So given everything that seems to be coming out. This guy seems to have plenty of history and was almost certainly there to cause problems. 

Which means the copper had probably been briefed to keep an eye on him - and that plenty on the march would have also known who he was. 

I'm even more in the camp of the copper after learning all of this. 

8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

As always, it's a bit more nuanced than that. If a "visibly Jewish" person was just going about their normal business - popping to the shops or going for a meal or whatever, I doubt the police would have had any concerns at all. That clearly wasn't the case here. He was there to provocate and engage with the marchers, in the hope of filming some sort of negative interaction. That's basically his job. The police have prevented him from doing that, and one of them used some clumsy words, so now they have become the subject of his "story".

I understand why Gideon Falter was stopped

But the police officer stated his being "openly Jewish" as one of the reasons

And, for what it's worth, both @kent_white and @gonzo agree with that

They might even be right

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I understand why Gideon Falter was stopped

But the police officer stated his being "openly Jewish" as one of the reasons

And, for what it's worth, both @kent_white and @gonzo agree with that

They might even be right

I agree his words were poorly chosen. But that doesn't prove ANY "openly Jewish" person would be treated in the same way. Unless all "openly Jewish" people drive around in vans with massive LED screens on the back, accompanied by a cameraman.

Just now, Cheese said:

I agree his words were poorly chosen. But that doesn't prove ANY "openly Jewish" person would be treated in the same way. Unless all "openly Jewish" people drive around in vans with massive LED screens on the back, accompanied by a cameraman.

We'll have to hope not, but it is what he (perhaps clumsily) implied

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

This was all said posts and posts back and pointed out what the agenda was here in response to Skippy's belicose caterwaulling at RW having been taken for a ride again on Twitter. All very predictable.

It was, and my point was that the agenda of Falter is irrelevant to the acceptability of the police officer's comment

10 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It was, and my point was that the agenda of Falter is irrelevant to the acceptability of the police officer's comment

That's why my anti-semantic joke tickled me because this point was never dismissed and this thread has become akin to two bald men arguing over a comb.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Well, not really

The reasoning would be because he was intending to be provocative on the basis of his strong pro-Israel views

But he wanted the cop to call him out for being Jewish in a situation where his religion is likely to be the catalyst for trouble. 

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It was, though 🤷‍♂️

I can't be arsed trawling back - if someone said 'the language that the police officer used was acceptable' fair enough, but the general feeling it appears is:

- It was done to make a political point

- The organisation has a history of doing these stunts for provocation.

- The language was unfortunate but not outwardly anti-semintic, the follow up statement by the Met was actually worse, but that that officer was faced with the situation to keep things calm.

Everyone gets it. I think.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure I follow you

What’s not to follow? Jewish guy takes camera crew to a pro-Palestine (ergo, anti-Jewish) rally/demo/march, call it what you like. He probably has no wish to get a kicking by the pro-Palestine/anti-Jew crew so stands next to cops who recognise his presence may (would) endanger his safety. 
Any Jewish guy NOT looking to provoke a response would be either at home or some place other than the route of a march.

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

What’s not to follow? Jewish guy takes camera crew to a pro-Palestine (ergo, anti-Jewish) rally/demo/march, call it what you like. He probably has no wish to get a kicking by the pro-Palestine/anti-Jew crew so stands next to cops who recognise his presence may (would) endanger his safety. 
Any Jewish guy NOT looking to provoke a response would be either at home or some place other than the route of a march.

That's the nub though there - its not anti-Jewish, its anti Israel's current stance towards the people of Palestine. So when  the copper said, 'you're openly Jewish' it opened up the can of worms that the marches ARE anti-semitic, or rather the police leadership think they are which is a problem.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

So given everything that seems to be coming out. This guy seems to have plenty of history and was almost certainly there to cause problems. 

Which means the copper had probably been briefed to keep an eye on him - and that plenty on the march would have also known who he was. 

I'm even more in the camp of the copper after learning all of this. 

sounds like a Jewish Tommy Robinson