Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Steejay

41 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Give over. Seems he's the new Hunt.

Not sure what you mean there.  I like Tomo (and Hunt), his passing is better than most of our midfield in terms of consistency and range, but he has limitations.  Same as most of our players, nothing controversial about that.  No problem if others rate his tackling/shooting/engine or whatever, just opinions and I like all those on the bench, for their different qualities, not many offer a bit of everything.

It shows how far Evatt has improved us, in that 2 of last season's championship teams have come to us as nothing but spoilers hanging on for a point with plenty shithousery.

At home i trust Evatt to get it right , that Charles will score plenty once he gets one & we'll win more often than not........one goal today would have won us the game even when we weren't at our best.

Away on tight grounds is different & might need a slight change of system .  

48 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

We don't look fluid in attack like we did at the end of last season, not much as changed since then In personel so it's an odd one.

FWIW our home form is still as good as 2nd half of last.  Games v top 10 = don't win, games v everyone else = win.  Of course the odd exception in the last 10 months but the pattern hasn't changed.  Never looking like conceding to a team that's scored at Ipswich, Derby, Sheff Wed this season is a plus, but admittedly they looked the worst of any top 6 team offensively we've played this or last season despite having 2 proven strikers.

8 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Picked a few cracking passes out but yes, generally struggled. Looks a bit lost, a real shame as he’s our most skilful player

He was played out of position thats why he struggled, we need to get him back to where he’s at his best - on the left & cutting in.

26 minutes ago, Spider said:

We’re 7th.

I don’t expect us to be any lower come May

Hard to tell at present, its just that we need to improve away to do that, nobody finished 7th without goals from at least one striker.  On course to get 20 points away and 52 at home = 72.  We got 73 last season and 7th place got 80, so we're a bit below par currently, nothing that a couple of back to back wins wouldn't correct.

10 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Bloody Barnsley.  They've always been a pain in the arse. 1st season we played them in my lifetime they did us 2-0 & 3-0. First team to beat us on a Sunday, only side we didn't beat in the 96/97 season. Their first premier league win was against us and we didn't win at Oakwell in about 80 years. I even got arrested there ffs.

0-1 defeat because it seems to be what the footballing God's want. C*nts

We didntbeat Palace or SHeff U that season either (4 draws)

We know the system and philosophy works. It did for the second half of last season and has done for probably half of this season so far. Evatt also isn’t going to move away for it, so those calling to shift to 4 at the back and wingers etc. may as well not bother (I do agree that it would put our best player in his best position by the way - although I think it causes too many negatives that offset the positive for Dapo).

I do think that currently we’re just a bit out of form, need our strikers (who we know are good enough - for those with short memories) to start firing, and probably just need to change the balance slightly in midfield.

Without wanting to make Tommo the scapegoat, I think he’s given Evatt a problem by how well he played for a couple of games which made it tough to leave him out. MJ has to play, and then one of the 10s in the team has to play (Lee, Dempsey, Dapo, Sadlier, Sheehan). Personally, Morley has to play.

He’s a class act and he offers the balance in midfield because he’s an all rounder, he can run, tackle, pass, cover defensively but also breaks from midfield and has an eye for goal. I’m sure Evatt has his reasons for why he’s not in the team at the moment but I’d love to see him and MJ start the next 5-10 games and see where that gets us.

No need to panic, there’s a long way to go and we know how we play in the second half of the season, but annoying all the same when we go 3 games without a goal knowing how good our squad is.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We know the system and philosophy works. It did for the second half of last season and has done for probably half of this season so far. Evatt also isn’t going to move away for it, so those calling to shift to 4 at the back and wingers etc. may as well not bother (I do agree that it would put our best player in his best position by the way - although I think it causes too many negatives that offset the positive for Dapo).

I do think that currently we’re just a bit out of form, need our strikers (who we know are good enough - for those with short memories) to start firing, and probably just need to change the balance slightly in midfield.

Without wanting to make Tommo the scapegoat, I think he’s given Evatt a problem by how well he played for a couple of games which made it tough to leave him out. MJ has to play, and then one of the 10s in the team has to play (Lee, Dempsey, Dapo, Sadlier, Sheehan). Personally, Morley has to play.

He’s a class act and he offers the balance in midfield because he’s an all rounder, he can run, tackle, pass, cover defensively but also breaks from midfield and has an eye for goal. I’m sure Evatt has his reasons for why he’s not in the team at the moment but I’d love to see him and MJ start the next 5-10 games and see where that gets us.

No need to panic, there’s a long way to go and we know how we play in the second half of the season, but annoying all the same when we go 3 games without a goal knowing how good our squad is.

That ⬆️

I believe in Evatt and the system and formation.

We are dominating matches and mostly not conceding but its coming down to us not taking chances. 

We just need to be more clinical, and maybe some more creativity in midfield (sheehan)

I'm just a bit concerned for Dapo as I struggle to see how he progresses in our current system and team. He is best out wide as a left winger, but we don't play with wingers. 

He isn't a centre forward and at CAM, we have a lot of options better suited. 

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed about Tommo, i think he’s due a rest.

I think i might be alone in thinking Dempsey offers us more than Morley, i think he’s a cracking little player, always shows for the ball & always thinking ahead with what he’s going to do next.

15 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Agreed about Tommo, i think he’s due a rest.

I think i might be alone in thinking Dempsey offers us more than Morley, i think he’s a cracking little player, always shows for the ball & always thinking ahead with what he’s going to do next.

Big fan of Dempsey too, I just think he’s slightly less of a “centre-mid” and more of an attacking midfielder and so doesn’t quite solve the balance issue.

To be honest, a 3 of MJ, Morley and Dempsey should be ideal, although I’m also a big fan of Lee and if I had to choose who he replaces it would be Dempsey out of those 3.

What it proves is that we’ve got quality and we’ve got options - we’ve just not quite got it right at the moment.

We absolutely don't know that the system and philosophy works, you even start

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We know the system and philosophy works. It did for the second half of last season and has done for probably half of this season so far.

Does that not say that we have a system and philosophy that works but it only works half the time?

Just now, ErnestTurnip said:

We absolutely don't know that the system and philosophy works, you even start

Does that not say that we have a system and philosophy that works but it only works half the time?

It worked for the full time that we had the right players last year, I.e. from January, and we’re 7th in the league this year, so my comment of “half” this year is probably a bit harsh.

Would you change the system and change how we play? Genuinely interested by the way, I just think it causes too many issues.

We have to go one up top, I’m not sure who plays right wing, who plays right back (is Carty a full back or does Jones go back there and lose some attacking emphasis), can we still play out from the back and dominate possession as well with only 2 centre backs - if not, do we go more long ball, which would be to a lone striker of Charles?

I’m not saying it’s perfect now, clearly, but I don’t think switching shape is the perfect solution. And if you’re suggesting something more extreme (like a switch in Manager) then I think you’re mad!

Fucking hell, that was dull. One of the worst games I’ve seen in a long time.

Barnsley came with absolutely zero interest in winning the game. Which is only slightly less than Forest Green last week, but unfortunately they managed to crack the ‘nick a goal and sit behind the ball’ plan.

No issues with the philosophy and whatnot but we’ve simply got to figure out a way of breaking down the seemingly dozens of teams who want to shithouse us for 90 minutes.

I can see the theory behind playing both Thomason and Williams to give further licence to the three in front of them, but instead the three of them just looked completely isolated and anonymous. That said, we’ve tried umpteen combinations in that three and don’t ever seem to crack it to the extent that our most consistent attacking threat is Connor Bradley.

Not a clue what went off in the referee’s head in the last 5 minutes but it all went a bit mental, didn’t it?! How the fuck was one of their coaching staff allowed to come halfway down the touchline with a towel for that clogger from Cheltenham?! All while the referee had his back turned as if it’s WWE and the steel chair has come out.

Also Trafford scares the shit out of me when he gets bored so he hangs about near the halfway line waiting the ball. And out wide, at that! 😂 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It worked for the full time that we had the right players last year, I.e. from January, and we’re 7th in the league this year, so my comment of “half” this year is probably a bit harsh.

Would you change the system and change how we play? Genuinely interested by the way, I just think it causes too many issues.

We have to go one up top, I’m not sure who plays right wing, who plays right back (is Carty a full back or does Jones go back there and lose some attacking emphasis), can we still play out from the back and dominate possession as well with only 2 centre backs - if not, do we go more long ball, which would be to a lone striker of Charles?

I’m not saying it’s perfect now, clearly, but I don’t think switching shape is the perfect solution. And if you’re suggesting something more extreme (like a switch in Manager) then I think you’re mad!

I don’t think theres many on here that would suggest a change in manager ffs.

Dapo  Dion  Sadlier

That front 3 would cause problems against most sides in this division.

Edited by Burndens Bogs