Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Steejay

• Site Supporter

A fine line between keeping possession and being threatening. 

You can watch City at times and think its a bit tedious, then bang, a sudden bit of movement and a quality ball and they're in.

We're no city obviously, however we still have to look to look for similar quality movement, particularly against a defensive set up.

• Site Supporter

Let’s remember that when we come up against a team who have no desire to try and win the game, that it will be a fucking load harder to play any football in the opposition half.

We forget about the other 11 cunts on the field at times…

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
Just now, radcliffe white said:

Can’t play MJ & Thomason for me 

This is the issue imo.

Their first thought is safety first and the ball isn’t being moved forward quickly enough.

There’s no need for two DM’s and we need some creativity desperately. I thought this was pretty obvious after the previous two games but lesson not learned.

At least we didn’t lose but we are massively underachieving atm with the players at our disposal.

As others have said 5 defenders & 2 defensive midfielders is so negative, worrying about the opposition instead of giving them something to worry about. It is safety first and this must come from Evatt.

He has some decent attack minded midfielders in the squad, but week after week he chooses to play the defensive minded ones - he talks a good game Evatt but ultimately he's a defensive minded manager. How many creative attack minded midfield players has he chased & signed in the past few windows but hasn't played them.

10 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Can’t play MJ & Thomason for me 

We can't play without MJ, he's quality in and out of possession.  Tomo a good passer but that's about it and when there are so many contenders for that position on the bench its a surprise he's started so many games consecutively.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We can't play without MJ, he's quality in and out of possession.  Tomo a good passer but that's about it and when there are so many contenders for that position on the bench its a surprise he's started so many games consecutively.

Give over. Seems he's the new Hunt.

Bit of a drab fest. At the start of the season I thought Dempsey would be the spine of the team. I still think that he should be the main man in there, with MJ and one of Lee, Morley, Sheehan.... I think the Thomason experiment has run its course, he'll probably score one a season, similar to MJ and just doesn't have enough consistently for me to merit automatic pick .

We don't look fluid in attack like we did at the end of last season, not much as changed since then In personel so it's an odd one. 

I like the fact we never looked liked losing today, but it'd probably still be 0-0 now two hours later

Not sure Iredale is the second coming either. 

17 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

13 games in, our top scorer is Bradley at right back with 2 goals.

Our defence is the best in the league and we are averaging the highest possession.

Our situation isn't a complex one, we need to be much better in the final 3rd.

Oh and also, our set pieces are fucking diabolical. 10 corners again today and not one went past the 1st man. 

Correct

13 games in and we have kept 5 more clean sheets (7 :2) than at the same stage last season

But we have only won one more game 

Fact is If League one table was based on goals scored we'd be in a relegation spot right now as just Morecambe Cheltenham and Fleetwood have scored fewer 

• Site Supporter

We’re very close to being a good team but need to find a way of creating more/better chances.

Jones and Bradley must have had 5 or 6 over loads in the 2nd half and every cross was shit. Every corner we got, shit.

Yes we’re lacking a bit of confidence too but Barnsley came for a point, were generally well organised and went away with what they came for.

Connell can F.R.O too. But he’s a better player than Thomason

I disagree, I think that we are still some way off being a good team. Evatt needs to make up his mind in regards to how he wants to play - today was dull & boring and that was down to Evatt's team selection again.

I'm sure last season at some stage he said that he wants to entertain the fans - well to do that he needs to have more than 3 attack minded players on the pitch at home.

1 minute ago, Black Sheep said:

I disagree, I think that we are still some way off being a good team. Evatt needs to make up his mind in regards to how he wants to play - today was dull & boring and that was down to Evatt's team selection again.

I'm sure last season at some stage he said that he wants to entertain the fans - well to do that he needs to have more than 3 attack minded players on the pitch at home.

With you on this I said the same IE seems to have changed his philosophy. 

• Site Supporter

I’m not with this Evatt throws his philosophy out of the window.

6 months ago Charles bags a couple of goals, we win the game.

"We just wanted it to hit Dion Charles in the ball-sack and go in, break the cycle. I don’t know if I can say that? Maybe use the technical term? We need one to go in off his scrotum"

So we either stick with him and he’ll come good, or we rest him.

The rest of it isn’t as bad as some are making out, despite your superior knowledge of tactical formations and Uefa coaching expertise. 

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

I think you’ve hit 2 separate points.

I’ll respectfully disagree and think we’re decent - or could be.

Evatt needs to give that starting 11 at Ipswich a run though. Chopping and changing isn’t doing us any favours. He’s trying to be too clever for his own good. Players need a run to produce their best form

We should of won comfortably despite not hitting anywhere near top gear, it’s looking ominous for us not reaching the top 6 given the teams winning around us and our very poor return of 1 point from the last 3 games.. gonna need to turn this little bad spell around asap, let’s hope we can get back on a little run soon.

We've scored 13 goals in 13 league games and some of those have been penalties. All of the factors people are referring to are at issue: strikers missing chances; slow build-up play meaning we don't unlock teams as often as we should; midfield being set-up defensively, Thomason and Williams are not goalscoring midfielders. 

In terms of attackers we've got what we've got until January and other than giving Sadlier more of a chance we just need one or more of them to hit a vein of form. In terms of midfielders we've got the personnel to change things and see if it breaks this problematic patch. 

I suspect the Accrington game will be similar to the last three. Hopefully on this occasion some fortune will go our way and it'll be a 0-1 rather than a 1-0.  It would be typical of the scenarios football throws up if that was the fixture for Charles to get his first outfield league goal.

Three central defenders

Two defensive midfielders

A player playing out of position at No. 10

A formation that relies on wing-backs to provide the width and we're starting with only one genuine wing-back

It's not difficult to understand why we're struggling to score

I can't claim to know what the answer is but I do think the problem is staring us in the face