Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Salford Trotter said:

GDP growth or decline is key measure that most on here have used to determine whether an economy is healthy or not so let's keep the metrics consistent. 

Comprehensive trade deals will take upto a decade to negotiate and so for Johnson to paint the UK into a corner doesn't bode well for a comprehensive trade deal in less than 11 months. In the meantime we will/may suffer the consequences of a No Deal exit that will cost upto 10% of GDP forever. 

Can you prove any of that?

You know, like cheese etc are always advocating. Or is it just based on more of the same predictive assessments that don't seem to come to fruition.

As for GDP, I accepted it's commonly used. It isn't however a measure of quality of life, nor does it represent to whole picture.

Folk will continue to use whatever statistics they want to twist an argument to their viewpoint.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You know, like cheese etc are always advocating. Or is it just based on more of the same predictive assessments that don't seem to come to fruition.

As for GDP, I accepted it's commonly used. It isn't however a measure of quality of life, nor does it represent to whole picture.

Folk will continue to use whatever statistics they want to twist an argument to their viewpoint.

Don't waste your breath R, Pete can't prove any of it, not one single bit.

It amazes me how intelligent folk are taken in by scaremongering.

14 minutes ago, darwen_white said:

No chance. Gary Megson was more charismatic in front of the camera.

He's (Starmer) spent the last 3 years trying to overturn the referendum result, and saying Leavers didn't know what they were voting for etc blah blah blah - Not very credible IMO.

How a knighted millionaire is going to win back the northern working class vote is going to be difficult - if not impossible.

Because he's intelligent and from a working class background.

But regardless - Labour lost more votes to the Lib Dems than they did to the Tories. So a Starmer figure is most likely to win those back.

Secondly - he's actually had a successful career outside politics. He's easily the best bet for Labour out of their available options. Without doubt. And those who froth at the mouth at any remainer won't be voting Labour whoever they install.

Hilarious that those predicting huge economic success for Brexit want to disregard all the measures of economic success and invent their own. Its almost like they haven't got a clue what they're talking about....almost...shhhhhh

If you're so confident on Brexit then lets all revisit in two years and look at GDP growth compared to 2015. Its the best measure of the wide national economy and its relative performance that relates to our global position in the world. I don't see why anyone would try and re-invent the wheel. Brexit is going to be brilliant you say and make our economy stronger - well then no need to try and talk rubbish about the measures. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

9 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Hilarious that those predicting huge economic success for Brexit want to disregard all the measures of economic success and invent their own. Its almost like they haven't got a clue what they're talking about....almost...shhhhhh

If you're so confident on Brexit then lets all revisit in two years and look at GDP growth compared to 2015. Its the best measure of the wide national economy and its relative performance that relates to our global position in the world. I don't see why anyone would try and re-invent the wheel. Brexit is going to be brilliant you say and make our economy stronger - well then no need to try and talk rubbish about the measures. 

Can we also measure it against the EU as that will be going down the swanny when we leave.

Their economic experts totally agree on this, but no doubt you know better as always 

• Site Supporter

Just so we can declare a winner in 2023, how ARE we measuring the success of Brexit?

The value of the pound is frequently hailed on here whenever it suits leave/remain. So we can’t use that.

GDP is now out as Escobarp thinks we should base success on what car we’re  all driving, or where we go for our holidays. But I think that’s probably unfair too, so can’t use it.

can we please agree on a system that all parties approve of then there’s no straighteners on NYD 2023?

Surely it’s not difficult.

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The trouble is the track record of remainers in the field of economic predictions is absolutely chronic. Weren't we all supposed to be on the breadline by now? Simply as a result of a leave vote alone? One month out from Brexit - weren't we meant to be in meltdown? It has all been a load of got-up bullshit. You wanted to frighten people you'd marked down as thick but they saw straight through it. Yet you postulate with the authority of someone who has a proven track record in the hope that people have forgotten.  They have not. They never will. For three and a half years we had to stomach this shite.

Brexit still has to be proven one way or the other.  It WILL now be proven because we are leaving - despite attempts from some on your side of this argument to seek to directly block democracy. Remainers and Project Fear are already proven shysters just on the basis of Osborne and Project Fear.

So in summary ....democracy deniers with crap economic predictions. The modern day equivalent of those characters outside Burnden wearing sandwich boards resolutely telling everyone the end is nigh. It never was nigh was it. Not only does the writing of history look bleak for remainers, it is shaping up to be pretty comical.

Enjoy what the future holds for you - desperately googling to find anything that might fit the bill to prove Brexit didn't work. You'll be at it when you're drawing your pension. A form of perennial self-made purgatory for remoaners who dug their own pit and then promptly fell in.

Edited by paulhanley

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

The trouble is the track record of remainers in the field of economic predictions is absolutely chronic. Weren't we all supposed to be on the breadline by now? Simply as a result of a leave vote alone? One month out from Brexit - weren't we meant to be in meltdown? It has all been a load of got-up bullshit. You wanted to frighten people you'd marked down as thick but they saw straight through it. Yet you postulate with the authority of someone who has a proven track record in the hope that people have forgotten.  They have not. They never will. Three and a half years of we had to stomach this shite.

Brexit still has to be proven one way or the other.  It WILL now be proven because we are leaving - despite attempts from some on your side of this argument to seek to directly block democracy. Remainers and Project Fear are already proven shysters just on the basis of Osborne and Project Fear.

So in summary ....democracy deniers with crap economic predictions. The modern day equivalent of those characters outside Burnden wearing sandwich boards resolutely telling everyone the end is nigh. It never was nigh was it. Not only does the writing of history look bleak for remainers, it is shaping up to be pretty comical.

Enjoy what the future holds for you - desperately googling to find anything that might fit the bill to prove Brexit didn't work. You'll be at it when you're drawing your pension. A form of perennial self-made purgatory for remoaners who dug their own pit and then promptly fell in.

I’m massively out of pocket thanks to Brexit.

Actual, measurable, Sterling.

Dont worry, I’m aware that it’s tough shit and I’m just one of the unfortunates in the “short term pain” section.

Edited by Spider

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Because he's intelligent and from a working class background.

But regardless - Labour lost more votes to the Lib Dems than they did to the Tories. So a Starmer figure is most likely to win those back.

Secondly - he's actually had a successful career outside politics. He's easily the best bet for Labour out of their available options. Without doubt. And those who froth at the mouth at any remainer won't be voting Labour whoever they install.

Starmer is Labour's Grieve. A squeeky voiced smug metropolitan who couldn't lead their way out of a crisp packet.

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’m massively out of pocket thanks to Brexit.

Actual, measurable, Sterling.

Dont worry, I’m aware that it’s tough shit and I’m just one of the unfortunates in the “short term pain” section.

You win some, you lose some. It's tough. Roll with it.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

You win some, you lose some. It's tough. Roll with it.

As a rule I’d agree

Business is business etc

But I’m being told Brexit will improve my situation. Yet, no holidays this year for the Spiders.

Someone is lying.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Just read that the orange growers down here have 70,000 tonne of unpicked oranges due to the EU doing a deal with South Africa, good work Brussels’s. 

Anyone going to tell him?

1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

Don't waste your breath R, Pete can't prove any of it, not one single bit.

It amazes me how intelligent folk are taken in by scaremongering.

How long did the Canada trade with the EU take to negotiate Si? 

It's taken us nearly 4 years to agree about 7 rollover agreements out of the 36 we had and that's on the same terms or worse... Fact.... Proven.... 

Edited by Salford Trotter

18 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

How long did the Canada trade with the EU take to negotiate Si? 

It's taken us nearly 4 years to agree about 7 rollover agreements out of the 36 we had and that's on the same terms or worse... Fact.... Proven.... 

Reality check with the BBC website, say 20 continuity deals are now signed.

The deals will come in.

Check re the Germans flapping now because we buy approx 40% of our food from Berlin. They're worried about losing that income.

Do you really think deals like that won't happen in time ? Course they will, too many other nations depend on our money.

Probably explains why Leyen is coming here to see Boris on Wednesday and not the other way round.

7 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Reality check with the BBC website, say 20 continuity deals are now signed.

The deals will come in.

Check re the Germans flapping now because we buy approx 40% of our food from Berlin. They're worried about losing that income.

Do you really think deals like that won't happen in time ? Course they will, too many other nations depend on our money.

Probably explains why Leyen is coming here to see Boris on Wednesday and not the other way round.

I hadn't checked over the last few weeks but who'd have thought these continuity deals would be so time consuming? Strange that isn't it?? 

I havent said that they won't be done but they take years to be done properly. Contrary to popular belief on here they aren't off the peg 'international trade deals' packs on the shelf in Tesco. They take years to agree the minutiae with hundreds of experts on both sides trying to get the best possible deal for themselves.

So what happens if we leave without a deal and we go on WTO? Pretty much every respected economist and leaders of big business predict that serious damage will be done to our economy as a result. 

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As I've said previously there are enough economic think tanks, business leaders and small business owners who are much closer to the detail than any of us on here. Most predict a very challenging time that will some say will take revenue out of our economy forever when compared to staying in the EU. There is nothing that I have read so far that gives me the confidence that we will be economically better off other than phathom trade deal that haven't even started to be negotiated yet. An interesting read from Ray Barrell... 

Ray Barrell, professor of economics and finance, Brunel University London 
We are unlikely to see a Boris bounce in 2020 because that mirage depends largely on there being only positive benefits from ending the uncertainty. If you were holding back spending because you are uncertain whether you will be in the good state (Theresa May’s deal or better) or in the bad state (Johnson’s deal or worse), and uncertainty disappears, spending is likely to weaken now we are certain we are in the bad state. 

We now know that the economy will be between 2 and 6 per cent smaller in 10 years than it would otherwise have been. 

The downward glide path starts in 2020. Depending on the final deal, between 10 and 30 per cent of foreign direct investment in the UK will be moved, and productivity will as a result be lower than it would otherwise have been. 

And what is clear that the terms of those trade deals are unlikely to be better than those already agreed with the EU. Of course there will new trade deals agreed with new partners but who is to say what they will be worth and what we have to sacrifice to agree them. I offered the example of Mercusor about 2 years ago as a prime example of what damage could be done to our livestock farmers if we allowed them anywhere near our markets. 

For context the whole article is here.. 

https://amp.ft.com/content/bc7c3d82-2442-11ea-9a4f-963f0ec7e134

53 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I hadn't checked over the last few weeks but who'd have thought these continuity deals would be so time consuming? Strange that isn't it?? 

I havent said that they won't be done but they take years to be done properly. Contrary to popular belief on here they aren't off the peg 'international trade deals' packs on the shelf in Tesco. They take years to agree the minutiae with hundreds of experts on both sides trying to get the best possible deal for themselves.

So what happens if we leave without a deal and we go on WTO? Pretty much every respected economist and leaders of big business predict that serious damage will be done to our economy as a result. 

See what the head of the WTO says mate, you may just be surprised.

2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I will but just read what I have posted in the response to TMGJ mate. Are you suggesting No Deal is now better than a deal? 

When did that article come out ?

I'm just wondering if it's a long time before our economy has been doing pretty well, against all the predicted odds and reports.

I note Mercusor is mentioned, that's the deal Austria have knocked back with the EU.