Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FAO Gonzo..

Not in Crawley

• Site Supporter

Meanwhile, Norbreck Castle is advertising itself for cheap deals on Groupon. I’ve been. Believe me, if it was a fiver a night it’d be overpriced.

IMG_0802.jpeg

Edited by MickyD
Added photo

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Meanwhile, Norbreck Castle is advertising itself for cheap deals on Groupon. I’ve been. Believe me, if it was a fiver a night it’d be overpriced.

IMG_0802.jpeg

Easily the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, and by a long way. Fucking disgusting place on every conceivable level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Spider said:

Just made a ‘slight’ detour for Abingdon Barbeque.

Treeeeeemendous

But don’t fuck with the queueing system. The women in there would frighten a police horse.

Mate, Ive seen 6ft 4 scaffolders reduced to tears like that fresh fish in Shawshank Redemption for fucking the queue system up.

"What do you mean you want a pie at the hot meat counter you big barrel of monkey spunk?"

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Mate, Ive seen 6ft 4 scaffolders reduced to tears like that fresh fish in Shawshank Redemption for fucking the queue system up.

"What do you mean you want a pie at the hot meat counter you big barrel of monkey spunk?"

😂😂😂

I felt like Harry Potter trying to find the right platform

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Traf said:

Your council is paying for IHG to build a hotel?
How come?

Assume @gonzo is referring to the Talbot Gateway redevelopment, but I highly doubt the council have paid £26M to build a new Holiday Inn for someone else. He probably knows more than me though.

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

Assume @gonzo is referring to the Talbot Gateway redevelopment, but I highly doubt the council have paid £26M to build a new Holiday Inn for someone else. He probably knows more than me though.

https://www.lancs.live/whats-on/whats-on-news/blackpools-34m-holiday-inn-plagued-27106034

Sorry £34m :D

...yeah the council have funded the whole thing. Holiday inn are just tennants.

Imagine the hoteliers in those adjacent treets thoughts on this. Added to them allowing B&Bs to be bought illegally by companies using them as hostels and HMOs, which in turn are funded by the council for taking folk in.

How to kill a town, volume 2.

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, gonzo said:

https://www.lancs.live/whats-on/whats-on-news/blackpools-34m-holiday-inn-plagued-27106034

Sorry £34m :D

...yeah the council have funded the whole thing. Holiday inn are just tennants.

Imagine the hoteliers in those adjacent treets thoughts on this. Added to them allowing B&Bs to be bought illegally by companies using them as hostels and HMOs, which in turn are funded by the council for taking folk in.

How to kill a town, volume 2.

So they'll recoup it through rent, and the money has also gone on new tram infrastructure. Isn't that how these things normally work? They're not just gifting Holiday Inn a brand new hotel for nowt.

Edited by Cheese

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

So they'll recoup it through rent, and the money has also gone on new tram infrastructure. Isn't that how these things normally work? They're not just gifting Holiday Inn a brand new hotel for nowt.

Well yes but my original point that the council have paid for a new holiday inn to be built is correct is it not?

Im not sure how fast they can recoup £36m and I certainly don't trust them to spend all of that money on the wellbeing of the town :)

Some say the new tram infrastructure will ferry people away from an already fucked area too. Currently is one of the most deprived areas in the country with highest anti depressant and suicide rates, highest cuts and lowest life expectancy. A big fancy hotel might sort that out....

It'll certainly make a huge impact on local businesses. 

Its looks good though Ill give it that. Hopefully it works and brings more people to the town. 

Edited by gonzo

• Site Supporter

So the current council are culpable in ensuring the local b&bs can’t operate and so sell off to those who see a massive bonus of year-round income from Social Security folk and immigration.  I wonder if any of the councillors who made decisions are also on the make. 

41 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Well yes but my original point that the council have paid for a new holiday inn to be built is correct is it not?

Im not sure how fast they can recoup £36m and I certainly don't trust them to spend all of that money on the wellbeing of the town :)

Some say the new tram infrastructure will ferry people away from an already fucked area too. Currently is one of the most deprived areas in the country with highest anti depressant and suicide rates, highest cuts and lowest life expectancy. A big fancy hotel might sort that out....

It'll certainly make a huge impact on local businesses. 

Its looks good though Ill give it that. Hopefully it works and brings more people to the town. 

When I used to work around Bridlington in East Yorkshire it was reckoned it had the most deprived ward in the country 

Not sure how true that was as I could think of a lot worse places

As a seaside resort it probably had similar issues to Blackpool as guest houses become HMOs or flats 

The council had a policy of not allowing guest houses to be converted in certain areas but nobody was staying in them, so they stay empty

It doesn't have the appeal of Blackpool so no major hotel would bother, especially when Scarborough is just up the road. They did eventually get a Premier Inn though I think the council played a similar part to Blackpool in getting that hotel in

And my ex lives there and she's nuts

Edited by DirtySanchez