Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bobby Charlton.

Tonge moor green jacket

2 hours ago, globaldiver said:

RIP to one of the greatest.

But not the greatest, which I guess still sits with Stanley Matthews?

Except when he played or more often than not didn't play against Tommy Banks

13 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Loved to see the man in an England shirt. West Ham claim the glory behind the 1966 win but it was Bobby Charlton who was the driving force throughout the tournament.

Absolute gentleman. I never forget that as a wet behind the ears autograph hunter, stood out in the cold and rain, he would make sure that every single kid got every single photo etc. signed before he headed off whilst other players would sign a few and scarper.

This is no time for club rivalries. RIP Sir Bobby. A true great and a true gent.

Well said, agree with that.  I always find it strange that we have a tendency to say "despite who he played for" etc, as if a bloke growing up in the North East that goes onto be one of THE greats, should have lessened his ambitions and signed for a club that we don't dislike, so that we'd appreciate him more!  The only time I saw him play was in a friendly for Wigan at Springfield Park when he was about 45 (he was a director there) and I still remember the thrill of watching him play at such close quarters, and when he walked off he was surrounded by folk trying to pat him on the back etc, and he just dealt with it all gracefully.  If he'd played 100 games for Wigan, Blackburn and Burnley I'd still hold him in the same esteem, anyone that is a great role model for football will do for me.

8 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Must be one of the best ever adverts, especially for an England football fan.

The way Jack Charlton says "Shirt pull?" 🤣

I'd never seen this full version before. The opposition side supposedly had no idea who they would be playing against until they went on the pitch, I find that hard to believe but would be great if true.

What's your name?

"Charlton." 😀

51 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I'd never seen this full version before. The opposition side supposedly had no idea who they would be playing against until they went on the pitch, I find that hard to believe but would be great if true.

What's your name?

"Charlton." 😀

Should have said Charlton, Bobby.