Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Blackpool

gonzo

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I agree it wouldn’t be the end of the world to lose but it would massively damage confidence both on and off the field. We really do need a convincing win in this one to consolidate our right to be considered a true automatic contender. These are exactly the games we do need to win against serious opposition and I’m confident we will. COYWM. 🥳

We did manage to recover after Wigan and Carlisle so not too concerned about restoring confidence 

Would rather lose this and win away at Oxford and Portsmouth 

Then again, I'd rather win them all 

But a convincing win here would really help with our momentum 

11 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

Can see it getting shifted from a 3 o’clock on a Saturday to a early kick off at there’s 

I remember going to Blackpool on Boxing Day 1985, I'm sure it was 11am KO, could be wrong but recall setting off stupidly early and it being too early to bother with a pub stop.

Then New Years Day Wigan home, after playing them Boxing Day both 83 and 84.  Zero chance of those festive fixtures getting repeated.

9 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

BN with a stat:

Under IE, we've played 14 games with crowds over 20,000. Won 4, drawn 3 and lost 7.

Isn't the achilles heal how many away fans there are?  Over 20k v Lincoln but a comfortable day - small away following.  There are probably others that I can't recall, but its the away fans that make it uncomfortable for the team more than a big home crowd.  Unless its Sunderland.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Isn't the achilles heal how many away fans there are?  Over 20k v Lincoln but a comfortable day - small away following.  There are probably others that I can't recall, but its the away fans that make it uncomfortable for the team more than a big home crowd.  Unless its Sunderland.

Possibly, though we have had some poorer results against team without. 

Cambridge? Should have won, but drew.

I suppose away, we may have had a decent following too.

Possibly just one of those stats that can be over analysed, and it's nowt to worry about. Just a bit frustrating. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Not at all 

Then I'd have to disagree.

Dan-OK not done it.

Vic is doing his bit in the over all play and the team is doing well.

Madine had his strengths, but I don't reckon being a team player was one of them. Twatting folk on the other hand seems to be.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

Proper nervous about this one tomorrow given last 2 derbies (yes I'm saying Wigan and Carlisle are our current derbies) and I hope the players are more up for it than they were those games, as they were pathetic and made me question the heart of the team. Last few results have been perfect though so hoping we've toughened up.

While not part of the end result, I don't understand fans who aren't up for these derby matches because they aren't the traditional "derby matches". I grew up in the 90s and the derbies for me were Man U, Blackburn and rivals in our division who were semi-close, hence Wolves fitting the bill. Blackpool were nowhere on my radar but them, Carlisle and (especially) Wigan all fit the bill for modern derby matches. Really hoping the fans are well up for this like the Barnsley home leg play off match last season. Atmosphere was great that dat with the fans almost willing that equaliser in. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

In terms of derby matches, Carlisle is 104 miles from Horwich.

Wigan 5 miles, Blackpool 36m, Port Vale 54, Fleetwood 41m, Barnsley 56m, Burton 86m, even Shrewsbury 95m.

Not that any of it matters I guess.

Take pure geography out of it a second. 

How "up for it" were Carlisle? We're their closest away day (edit: ok, bar the 2x donkey lashers on Fylde), and we can house 5000 of them. 

No matter what we think, because we played Bayern away once - they're a rival. It's on our coaching and playing staff - and fanbase, to treat it as such.

Edited by TM Trotter

10 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

In terms of derby matches, Carlisle is 104 miles from Horwich.

Wigan 5 miles, Blackpool 36m, Port Vale 54, Fleetwood 41m, Barnsley 56m, Burton 86m, even Shrewsbury 95m.

Not that any of it matters I guess.

About 70 of those miles are through farm land though with no rivals to speak of, and they certainly saw it as a derby match.  We all need to be on it tomorrow 

They didn’t see it as a derby they saw it more as an occasion and one of the benefits of getting promoted. An away day at a big boy, former premiership team, new ground, somewhere they hadn’t been before. Yes geographically it’s one of their closer games but still 2hrs away

Just under 50% of their home attendance turned out not because of any history or hatred but because they wanted to watch their little old club play at somewhere like ours. It’s all relative but it’s like Luton going to city or Liverpool this season. Won 1 of the previous 13, and won 1 in 5 since. The players responded to the following which is the fundamental issue at our place. Their lot rise to it ours generally don’t. 

Carlisle fans see that trip as one of their top 3 ever. Tells you everything 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Site Supporter

While it is a Derby geographically and I know the older boys and Gonzo see things differently, they aren't and never will be a rival to me.

Blackburn, Burnley and Preston are rivals as far as I'm concerned but that has more to do with being Blackburn born and bred I suppose (though with Bolton DNA so the correct number of toes and fingers)