Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (A)

matty2094

• Site Supporter

Great position to be in. Keep a winning side or bring back arguably our most complete/experienced striker and our most effective and box to box midfielder.

Like others, I can see Dempsey and/or JDB starting because he’ll pick the best side for the opposition and they both look ready to go. 

But if that side is the one with Vic and the other 3 midfielders in, then there can’t be any arguments. 

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Pompey could be this year's Plymouth. 

Keep getting results, even after the odd hiccup. 

I'm not sure they "need it more than us" as we both have the same goal.

If they were to win it, they could easily go on another long unbeaten run.

A win for us would represent another improvement against top teams, having beaten Wycombe for example at their place.

A draw keeps our unbeaten run going too, and would be decent.

That Wycombe win was great at the time, and any away win is hard earned, but its hard to ignore their form, 1 win in 10 games, only Vale and Exeter worse (Vale was another "6 pointer" away game at the time!).  Our away form is great, not questioning that, but its stretching it to put Wycombe in the category of Barnsley, Derby, Peterboro, Oxford, Pompey.

Agreed, another 0-0 would do very nicely tomorrow.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Great position to be in. Keep a winning side or bring back arguably our most complete/experienced striker and our most effective and box to box midfielder.

Like others, I can see Dempsey and/or JDB starting because he’ll pick the best side for the opposition and they both look ready to go. 

But if that side is the one with Vic and the other 3 midfielders in, then there can’t be any arguments. 

If we go with keep a winning side does that include cup games?  We've won a load of them, but failed to win our last league game.  Given that this is against an even better side than Oxford, I don't see the need to "keep a winning side" unless that includes cup games.  In which case, no Charles?   Obviously not, so straight away we are changing a winning team and reverting to one that didn't win.  I don't go with "keeping a winning side" because that doesn't take into account how bad the opposition were on the day, so just pick the best team available to win the game coming up.

FWIW I fully expect Vic and Williams to start instead of JDB and Iredale, winning side or not, they are part of IEs preferred XI for league games.    

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If we go with keep a winning side does that include cup games? 

No, doesn’t include cup games. They have clearly been used to rest, rotate and give game time to the squad.

The point I was making, is that it will be clearly understandable and reasonable if JDB and Dempsey don’t start because they will be replacing players who have been part of this great run in the league.

But if any changes (and like others I’m thinking today he might do) were to be made then it’s those two (or one of those two) who will come in. 

Easy to make a case for both Iredale/Williams too at LWB, both have played well there in this run.

Great choices to have. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That Wycombe win was great at the time, and any away win is hard earned, but its hard to ignore their form, 1 win in 10 games, only Vale and Exeter worse (Vale was another "6 pointer" away game at the time!).  Our away form is great, not questioning that, but its stretching it to put Wycombe in the category of Barnsley, Derby, Peterboro, Oxford, Pompey.

Agreed, another 0-0 would do very nicely tomorrow.

What was their form at the time?

What was our form at the time?

What were the respective league places at the time?

What was our record there at the time?

It seems every time a discussion of our play occurs, there's a touch of negativity from you in decrying the opponents we play, as if we should just automatically beat them, because we're Bolton Wanderers. 

Such victories are part and parcel of why we are at the top end, and without them we wouldn't be in the position whereby you dismiss others as not being very good.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

aye

I wouldn't drop any of them to be honest

be if i had to

would be GT

quite the headache selection for IE

No body has to thankfully!

Just purely from a tactical point of view, I can an argument for putting more bite in midfield, which would therefore include both Dempsey and Thomason. Dropping one for the other would seem a step forward then a step back.

But ultimately IE will do what he feels he needs to.

19 hours ago, tomski said:

Don’t think we slipped up at Oxford and I’ll not over panic if we lose tomorrow. Each to their own. The 6 pointer is out early this season.

We lose and win our game in hand on them we are 3 behind them. Will be great to win and I agree we can just feels like a bit of a free hit for me. 

While I agree, we shouldn't panic if we lose what is essentially the toughest game of the season, it has to be called a 6 pointer. It's almost the perfect example of it: win and level, lose and 6 behind.

On the team front has to be Bod up front for me while he's in such good form. I worry with Charles and Vic that the ball won't stick and we'll be under the cosh first 60mins.