Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

That there London

I've got the opportunity of a secondment at our head office near Euston- 12 months for extra 14k. We have hybrid working, so 51% of my contracted hours (16.5 a week) has to be in office based. I'd be commuting- spend 1/2 nights a week down there.

Is it worth it?

Looking at digs and train prices etc, I'd be spending close to £200 a week anyway- am I missing something? Looked at flights etc, but if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

I've got the opportunity of a secondment at our head office near Euston- 12 months for extra 14k. We have hybrid working, so 51% of my contracted hours (16.5 a week) has to be in office based. I'd be commuting- spend 1/2 nights a week down there.

Is it worth it?

Looking at digs and train prices etc, I'd be spending close to £200 a week anyway- am I missing something? Looked at flights etc, but if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Get them to pay for your temporary relocation or at least contribute.

If they pay for the digs, I'd give it a go. The commute can be a ball ache though.

Also, whilst £14K is a decent whack, you'll, depending on what you earn now, lost 40% of that anyway

It could open up opportunities, but ultimately they’ll be down there. I’m not learning anything new, just something I’ve done previously. Not a lot of opportunity up here as it’s very London centric

I’m just thinking I’ll only be £20 a day better off in real terms- do I have the drive to do it? 

Trains seem ridiculous, flights better value just fannying around either end

• Site Supporter

For a net return of £100 a week I’d be telling them to dig a lot deeper.

Everything in london is going to cost you more.

£20k or tell them to shove it

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

For a net return of £100 a week I’d be telling them to dig a lot deeper.

Everything in london is going to cost you more.

£20k or tell them to shove it

That’s what I’m thinking… the actual working down there is a piece of piss, the travel isn’t that bad… they won’t break payment grades.

I would suggest going back to them and saying instead of the £6k allowance can you do it via expenses so you can charge the actual cost, you are still £8k up.

Just seems fairer way to do it. Also I would think it might be an idea to go down every other week and spend 2-3 nights down there. In an old job I had to spend a day a week in Bournemouth, so fly down early morning a fly back early evening, but it was better to do 2 days a fortnight and stay over. The travelling became a real chore, lots of time sat about waiting so made sense to be there longer but less often. Depends on your family situation.

Flying is great in some ways but once you have fucked about with getting to and from airport plus needing to check in an hour before flight not much quicker I would guess than train to London. Do not underestimate how painful the travelling might become, delays, cancellations and over filled trains really can start to get you down. 

For me it’s about your family situation and age of your kids etc.

I know a few who have chased the money and family life suffers.

FWIW the uplift doesn’t appear enough to me either. 

Edited by captainmed

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

For me it’s about your family situation and age of your kids etc.

I know a few who have chased the money and family life suffers.

FWIW the uplift doesn’t appear enough to me either. 

This is good advice. If your 20-30 and single it's very different experience to middle age with a family. Former I would do in a heartbeat the latter would require some serious incentives. 

5 hours ago, Zico said:

You'll spend most of the wage increase drinking in the Euston tap whilst waiting for your delayed train

And then finding a hotel when the delay becomes a cancellation.