Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (H)

Ani

4 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I heard a guy on BoltonFM on the way back too who said we need to start playing with a plan B and mix it up, playing direct to big men upfront.

Jesus wept, and he's not the only one. The amount of times I heard groans and moans again from the same folk around me every time we played it back.

It's like we control the game, have chances, then concede a, yes, shite goal from nowhere. So then we should just drop all of our tactical prowess and build up and just revert to long direct balls, simply because we are just 1 goal behind?

One of the majority components of a possession style of football is to pass it back, recycle and go again when a certain pass isn't on. Especially more important when playing against dangerous counter attacking teams in transition.

It was defensive mistakes that cost us the extra 2 points today. Our style is the reason we scored 3 goals, 3rd in the table with 2/3 games in hand, scored the most goals in the EFL in 2023, 3rd most points and most clean sheets. Maybe Evatt might know what he's doing? 

But no, let's just sack that all off because it's tippy tappy rubbish and we'd be better if our keeper went long every time.

Here's an interesting fact, despite the amount of challenges at the minute, red cards, injuries, fixture postponements & congestion, we've lost just 1 in 11, drawing 3, winning 7.

Not bad for "shocking form".

Let's have a bit more positivity eh?

Great post, and that’s despite having key players out injured, on international duty etc. 

Circumstances innit. Yes I know there's more to it than this but to me, Baxter in goal today and we win that game. In turn from that, the Evatt doubters are muted for another week. 

Fuck it, we all love each other really. Especially when you've drank as much as I have by now. Maybe you negative nellys should just drink more 😁

1 minute ago, boogs said:

Circumstances innit. Yes I know there's more to it than this but to me, Baxter in goal today and we win that game. In turn from that, the Evatt doubters are muted for another week. 

Fuck it, we all love each other really. Especially when you've drank as much as I have by now. Maybe you negative nellys should just drink more 😁

Beat Blackpool or Derby it’s all forgiven. 

• Site Supporter

For all those with “no confidence in Coleman” I say cast your mind back not very far to the days we endured Billy Crellin. 

Once again today, Coleman made some point saving saves.

11 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I heard a guy on BoltonFM on the way back too who said we need to start playing with a plan B and mix it up, playing direct to big men upfront.

Jesus wept, and he's not the only one. The amount of times I heard groans and moans again from the same folk around me every time we played it back.

It's like we control the game, have chances, then concede a, yes, shite goal from nowhere. So then we should just drop all of our tactical prowess and build up and just revert to long direct balls, simply because we are just 1 goal behind?

One of the majority components of a possession style of football is to pass it back, recycle and go again when a certain pass isn't on. Especially more important when playing against dangerous counter attacking teams in transition.

It was defensive mistakes that cost us the extra 2 points today. Our style is the reason we scored 3 goals, 3rd in the table with 2/3 games in hand, scored the most goals in the EFL in 2023, 3rd most points and most clean sheets. Maybe Evatt might know what he's doing? 

But no, let's just sack that all off because it's tippy tappy rubbish and we'd be better if our keeper went long every time.

Here's an interesting fact, despite the amount of challenges at the minute, red cards, injuries, fixture postponements & congestion, we've lost just 1 in 11, drawing 3, winning 7.

Spot on, need to stick by the team, we’ve improved every year under evattt , had a quick look at the league when we finished bottom in2019, Oxford finished fourth,Portsmouth fifth, Peterborough 7th and Blackpool 13th. They have pretty much stagnated in that time. We have had a total rebuild from top to bottom and are currently above all those teams apart from Portsmouth.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, tomski said:

This was a banker. In isolation. 

And results like today are the reason we’re not all millionaires having won our fortunes predicting the outcome of football matches.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

For all those with “no confidence in Coleman” I say cast your mind back not very far to the days we endured Billy Crellin. 

Including one at 3-3 in about the 90th minute. He's fine. Just, imo, needs to recycle the ball a bit quicker.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

Including one at 3-3 in about the 90th minute. He's fine. Just, imo, needs to recycle the ball a bit quicker.

There was one occasion, also at 3-3 and at 93 minutes, the crowd were very vocal in their condemnation of him not releasing the ball early.

They obviously didn’t see that big black bloke (number 22, I think) stopping such a ball out.

I’m just not seeing anything good coming from being so vocal against one player because I’m fairly sure it isn’t going to improve the way he plays.

27 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I heard that too and knew this kind of reaction would come from it. And it's not black and white like you're making out.

Most of the groans around me, mine included, are when the passing at the back is too slow or predictable so we're just inviting pressure. The "get rid" shouts come when we've made a couple of bad passes and put ourselves under pressure as a desperate shout to stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

Almost everyone in the stadium is bought into fast possession based football, where we quickly beat the press, but we've lost the zip we had earlier in the season and it's turned into ponderous tapping round the back with no purpose at times - first half today for example. Second half was completely different - fast paced possession football, where you know when to play it short and when to play it long, that everyone can get behind.

5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

And results like today are the reason we’re not all millionaires having won our fortunes predicting the outcome of football matches.

Funny how I can predict Blackpool and derby though 

11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Coleman saved us a point tbh with that late save when their guy smashed one from the left side of the net. Real power shot I thought was going in. He's fine, and the dithering he does on the ball, isn't his fault - that is the "tactic" he's following 

50 minutes ago, Stig said:

I think we sit in the same area. Second half Jones was very good, whole right side worked nicely. First half I thought he wasn't giving the right option for Toal or Coleman and saw Evatt blast him a couple of times for it.

The best defender of the 3 for me was Iredale. I couldn't really see the 3rd goal so he may have been massively at fault but the number of times he kind of barged through the attacker to win the ball back rather than just holding position was amazing. Must have been about 6 or 7 possessions won back just through that

Yes, agreed Iredale was superb, like you not sure if some blame for 3rd goal but 2 seconds out of 100 minutes doesn't make it a bad performance.  I also thought Toal played well, again may have been partly to blame for a goal, but does so much good stuff on the ball and making the right choices.  We have 5 quality central defenders when you add Forrester. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Bod not starting any league games this season (except to cover an injury crisis) - when he is one of the few players that looks a class above this league - really is one of the mysteries of this or any other BWFC season.  Up there with ALF on the left wing under Parky.

With Adam Armstrong his replacement 🤪😆

17 minutes ago, Stig said:

Coleman saved us a point tbh with that late save when their guy smashed one from the left side of the net. Real power shot I thought was going in. He's fine, and the dithering he does on the ball, isn't his fault - that is the "tactic" he's following 

Correct.  I fail to see how Coleman's dithering is any different to Baxter's and Trafford's.  And the lack of marking for the 2nd goal is also a tactic, its not the players deciding to leave players unmarked.  They weren't brought up playing that way, none of us were, its imposed on them by the manager.

Just now, Johnnyrotten said:

Correct.  I fail to see how Coleman's dithering is any different to Baxter's and Trafford's.  And the lack of marking for the 2nd goal is also a tactic, its not the players deciding to leave players unmarked.  They weren't brought up playing that way, none of us were, its imposed on them by the manager.

Blame is squarely on the manager.