Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (H)

Ani

Just back from the pub & dwelling on today , my god we’ve had better days but much worse as well . Twenty minutes of absolute mint football in the second half .

I know we fckd up , but the glimpse of ‘ total football ‘ in that spell is inspiring!
The challenge for Evatt is enormous , to reproduce that on a consistent basis but I do commend him for trying.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

Remember when folk used to go to the game and support the team? Rather than scream utter bollocks. Some absolute fucking pricks in the NSL

Yep. "Fuck off Coleman! You're fucking shit!" after they've just fluked an equaliser from a cross into the box. I'm sure that'll help.

• Site Supporter

I seem to be in a tiny minority who enjoyed today. Sometimes shit happens. Sometimes you don't win a football match you expect/deserve to win. Sometimes the opposition score, and it feels like a knife in the heart for a minute, but the troops rally and fight back. Sometimes a dramatic game with 2 equalisers gets the adrenalin pumping as much as, or even more than, a 3-0 win. The atmosphere was a lot better at 2-3 and 3-3 today than it was 2-0 up against Wycombe. Get behind them ffs, rather than screaming blue murder because the opposition haven't turned up and rolled over to award us our God-given right to 3 points.

Edited by Cheese

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I seem to be in a tiny minority who enjoyed today. Sometimes shit happens. Sometimes you don't win a football match you expect/deserve to win. Sometimes the opposition score, and it feels like a knife in the heart for a minute, but the troops rally and fight back. Sometimes a dramatic game with 2 equalisers gets the adrenalin pumping as much as, or even more than, a 3-0 win. The atmosphere was a lot better at 3-3 today than it was 2-0 up against Wycombe. Get behind them ffs, rather than screaming blue murder because the opposition haven't turned up and rolled over to award us our God-given right to 3 points.

All of that is commendable, Cheese. The fact of the matter though is that they are 5th bottom, haven’t won in 16 and we’re trying to get promoted. If you want to get promoted then par is winning today - hence the disappointment at not doing so.

I do think there’s some overreaction, but it’s due to the fact that every game is now so important and both Pompey and Derby won, but I can’t blame people for being pissed off that we haven’t got 3 points today.

Edited by Eddie

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

All of that is commendable, Cheese. The fact of the matter though is that they are 5th bottom, haven’t won in 16 and we’re trying to get promoted. If you want to get promoted then par is winning today - hence the disappointment at not doing so.

I do think there’s some overreaction, but it’s due to the fact that every game is now so important and both Pompey and Derby won, but I can’t blame people for being pissed off that we haven’t got 3 points today.

I understand the disappointment of course. Obviously I would have much preferred 3 points, but that's football - you don't always get what you want. I'm sure they're as determined to avoid relegation as we are to get promoted. We're also a big fucking scalp. We'll be reet.

11 hours ago, Zico said:

With our games in hand we go top

After our recent results we’d now have to win them all by more than the odd goal to go top as Pompey are now 9 points ahead and have a better GD than us. Three one nils won’t do it as they have conceded less.

A month ago I was thinking that the deciding factor would be beating Pompey at home and Derby, Stevenage, Barnsley and Peterborough away - a tough ask - but if we can’t beat the likes of Charlton, Orient and Northampton and struggle to overcome e.g. Cheltenham the games against the title contenders are becoming less relevant to our season other than to ensure a playoff spot.

A lot of chat about the strength of our squad but I’m only seeing the fluency and accuracy we had earlier in the season in brief patches these days and unless we get it back soon the automatics will slip from our grasp.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Bod is the first player to score in consecutive games this season, excluding pens.  

When it last happened can wait for another day (especially 2 in the same week).

Proves the point that he’s a weapon coming off the bench, because he hasn’t done that when he starts 👍👍

• Site Supporter
Just now, Spider said:

Proves the point that he’s a weapon coming off the bench, because he hasn’t done that when he starts 👍👍

I think it’s a fitness thing. He’s much stronger coming on and being up against players who have run around for an hour. I think that’s fairly obvious yet so many want him on from the start.

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

What’s our budget compared to derby and Pompey?

Pretty sure Charlton and Peterborough have spent way more than us this season.

But what would I know, I havent watched football for as long so no very little. My cotton socks feel blessed 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Pretty sure Charlton and Peterborough have spent way more than us this season.

But what would I know, I havent watched football for as long so no very little. My cotton socks feel blessed 

He just makes shit up.

Just now, MickyD said:

I think it’s a fitness thing. He’s much stronger coming on and being up against players who have run around for an hour. I think that’s fairly obvious yet so many want him on from the start.

This is a joke post surely? He came on yesterday at half time against defenders who'd hardly had to do anything in the first 45 and just had 15mins breather and yet still looked a class above...

I don't understand how anyone can claim he's no good from the start. He's had 2 league starts when the whole team played badly, and cup starts when he's played well. 

We're starting our home games too slow and for the last few seem to be on the back foot from the kick off. It happened again yesterday when they had about three corners in the first five minutes and we didn't get out of our half much in that opening spell. This settles the away team down and subdues the crowd. Maybe an opening ten minute blitz for an early goal might ease the pressure. Missed so many players yesterday but Thomasson suspension such a waste. 

9 hours ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Spot on, need to stick by the team, we’ve improved every year under evattt , had a quick look at the league when we finished bottom in2019, Oxford finished fourth,Portsmouth fifth, Peterborough 7th and Blackpool 13th. They have pretty much stagnated in that time. We have had a total rebuild from top to bottom and are currently above all those teams apart from Portsmouth.

Thought for the most part, the crowd were really behind the team yesterday.

Great atmosphere 2nd half.

We played some great stuff and it's just some poor defending that's cost us, our goals were top drawer. 

Just for clarity, I mentioned in an earlier post that I think Evatt will go if we don't go up.

By that I meant he'll get an offer from higher up, not that we would sack him.

Stability and continuity is vital for our continued upwards progress imo.

He's a big part of that and he's got plenty of credit with me.

Do some of his decisions frustrate me ? Yep.

Is he a stubborn, arrogant twat at times ? Absolutely 😄.

Plenty of professional sports people are, I suppose they have to be.

But bloody hell, we need to go up this year.

COYWM 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Stig said:

This is a joke post surely? He came on yesterday at half time against defenders who'd hardly had to do anything in the first 45 and just had 15mins breather and yet still looked a class above...

I don't understand how anyone can claim he's no good from the start. He's had 2 league starts when the whole team played badly, and cup starts when he's played well. 

Putting words in my mouth? I didn’t say no good, I said stronger against tired legs.

Oh, and your next point about two league starts when the whole team played badly kind of points towards my point.

• Site Supporter

15 games without a win (now 16)

New Manager "bounce".

Injuries and suspensions for us.

This was always going to be a tough game regardless of league positions. Any team can beat any team in this league on any given day. Couldn't get there again yesterday and have missed more than attended this season for various reasons. But managed to watch most on tele. 

Charlton have got Portsmouth then Derby next. I'd put money on them getting 4 points.....

Please someone quote me after Pompey game.....👀

10 minutes ago, MickyD said:

When he’s started he’s scored plenty in the pizza.

Thrown in away at Pompey and lays on a great assist for Dion chance which of scored could well of dictated a different season/Charles 

This he can only play against tired men guff is almost a tad insulting to him.

Do we start bringing our better players on after an hour from now on.

Does it also explain why Jerome came on against Northampton?

10 hours ago, only1swanny said:

We're third, with 3 games in hand, a shoestring budget, an injury crisis as we've kept the squad small to keep us financially viable, and people are whinging.

Only thing i'm not happy about is that we're not developing our own as we should be doing.. 

Shoestring budget? good part of 1.5m spent on players 

Edited by radcliffe white

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Putting words in my mouth? I didn’t say no good, I said stronger against tired legs.

Oh, and your next point about two league starts when the whole team played badly kind of points towards my point.

Sorry I meant to grab Spider's post in relation to the "no good from the start" comment.

I just don't see how the sample size is big enough to claim he's better off the bench. Until he gets a good chunk of starts it's an unknown, but one I'd be willing to gamble on based on what I see each week when he is on. 

Anyway hopefully he gets a start on Tuesday as we must win that now before the derbies 

5 minutes ago, Ratwhite said:

15 games without a win (now 16)

New Manager "bounce".

Injuries and suspensions for us.

This was always going to be a tough game regardless of league positions. Any team can beat any team in this league on any given day. Couldn't get there again yesterday and have missed more than attended this season for various reasons. But managed to watch most on tele. 

Charlton have got Portsmouth then Derby next. I'd put money on them getting 4 points.....

Please someone quote me after Pompey game.....👀

Fingers crossed! Charlton aren't a bottom half team, no idea what has happened there to have them that low. The stuff they played up front was decent.

Far better to watch them come and play football in an exciting match than some of the turgid stuff we've had from other teams. Just disappointing we weren't good enough through the game to get the win

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, tomski said:

This he can only play against tired men guff is almost a tad insulting to him.

I have complete faith that IE picks his team based on his own observations during training sessions. I’m also fairly sure that Bod would be starting if IE thought he’d be better starting.