Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Andy Holt - Accrington

L/H White

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Have you seen the Conference North & Conference South ?

'North' includes Hereford, Banbury, Bishop Stortford, Brackley, Kings Lynn.

The balance is altered.

Kings Lynn is "North" of Brum, Wolverhampton, and Leicester 

I'd expect all those to end up in a north divide

That said Peterborough is North of Brum and I'd expect them to be in the southern half 

7 hours ago, Zico said:

Kings Lynn is "North" of Brum, Wolverhampton, and Leicester 

I'd expect all those to end up in a north divide

That said Peterborough is North of Brum and I'd expect them to be in the southern half 

Always surprises me that. As well as Norwich. 

Although it’s the Conference North, the two divisions at that level are considered one league and it’s just a case of finding the most northerly of that group and tbf they do take in to consideration road links and the like. King’s Lynn and Bishop’s Stortford travelling north isn’t any worse for them than having to go to Yeovil, Torquay and Taunton. 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Although it’s the Conference North, the two divisions at that level are considered one league and it’s just a case of finding the most northerly of that group and tbf they do take in to consideration road links and the like. King’s Lynn and Bishop’s Stortford travelling north isn’t any worse for them than having to go to Yeovil, Torquay and Taunton. 

I also suspect they would have "logistical" nightmares if 4 very southern teams or 4 very northen teams were to get relegated from the national league in the same season

would they ever move a midtable team from national league north over to the south or vice versa to accomdate teams coming down?

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

I also suspect they would have "logistical" nightmares if 4 very southern teams or 4 very northen teams were to get relegated from the national league in the same season

would they ever move a midtable team from national league north over to the south or vice versa to accomdate teams coming down?

Yes, there’s lateral movement between divisions most years. That was one of the objections from Gloucester and Bishop’s Stortford as they’ve been shifted between the two a few times and it understandably has a big effect on the areas that they recruit players from. Similarly, Northwich are in the Midlands division of the Northern Prem this season rather than the northerly East or West. 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yes, there’s lateral movement between divisions most years. That was one of the objections from Gloucester and Bishop’s Stortford as they’ve been shifted between the two a few times and it understandably has a big effect on the areas that they recruit players from. Similarly, Northwich are in the Midlands division of the Northern Prem this season rather than the northerly East or West. 

I’d never even thought about signing players impact this would have. Makes perfect sense.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Edinburgh is West of Bolton.

3 hours ago, Sweep said:

that one always blows my mind 

Be further fucked up; Edinburgh is west of Bristol

Just now, MickyD said:

Be further fucked up; Edinburgh is west of Bristol

to be fair, that's the one that usually get's offered up (as opposed to it being Bolton)

I also like the fact that Alaska is both the Westernmost and Easternmost state in the US

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The Northern-most part of the UK, appears to be further north than the capitals of all three Scandinavian countries.

There are 4 main Sandanavian countries. I'm assuming you've missed Denmark.

There are other less clear ones to but can see why those wouldn't generally be reckoned with.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

There are 4 main Sandanavian countries. I'm assuming you've missed Denmark.

There are other less clear ones to but can see why those wouldn't generally be reckoned with.

Which four? Finland isn't usually classed as part of Scandinavia. 

Just now, junot said:

Which four? Finland isn't usually classed as part of Scandinavia. 

It is in our house.

Nordic maybe, but Nordic includes Norway & Sweden.

Scandinavia is normally seen as the flacid cock around the Northern Baltic. Plus, & it is historic, Denmark.

More expansive interpretations are Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands. If you include their dependencies then Greenland gets involved.

Whichever interpretation you use Denmark is always included. Which was my original point.

20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The Northern-most part of the UK, appears to be further north than the capitals of all three Scandinavian countries.

are there not 5 Scandinavian countries?

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland & Denmark

Edited by Sweep

3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

are there not 5 Scandinavian countries?

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland & Denmark

Which countries are called Scandinavian?

Scandinavia - Wikipedia

Scandinavia most commonly refers to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. It can sometimes also refer to the Scandinavian Peninsula (which excludes Denmark but includes a part of northern Finland). In English usage, Scandinavia is sometimes used as a synonym for Nordic countries.

On 07/03/2024 at 13:22, Dr. Feelgood said:

Have you seen the Conference North & Conference South ?

'North' includes Hereford, Banbury, Bishop Stortford, Brackley, Kings Lynn.

The balance is altered.

Gloucester City too!