Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Almost Nailed On Defeats In The Next Three Games....

Bobcat

will put is at the foot of the table.....

with a start almost as poor as Lee's...

we have played teams that have just been promoted, a team that survived by the skin of their teeth and a club in turmoil just beaten by another newly promoted team....

Our team that two years ago was well talked about and had the opportunity to make that last final push didn't...has now stumbled and tripped and fallen flat on it's face... the board emabarrased by it's lack of investment and support for arguably it's most succesful manager...made a knee jerk reaction to a man who was trying to change the way we played...and appointed a proven failure at all levels as his succesor a man who was only months earlier working for free, just trying to grab with his finger tips his last chance saloon...and comments from the chairman of those that understand football will understand this appointment only added to the disbelief of many fans...

A style of football that lacks creativity and pace in a league that is improving massively in those two areas, will surely see our beloved club relegated from the top flight of English football, that i am sure of....

Megson as widely predicted by many that had experienced his management style isn't cut out to manage at this level, a demotivator and a style of play that is to slow for the modern game will see us embarrased...

Survival last year was down to the grit, spirit and determination of the team not the manager....this year i don't think we will be so lucky

What the answer is I don't know, but we had a massive opportunity and have blown it...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year we had the luxury of a world class striker for the first half of the season, and some (limited) creativity in the form of Diouf. Whilst I cant stand Megson (and never have) some of his signings have been decent. However, I believe he has blown it big time with his signings in the summer. As bobcat says above we now have a midfield that is full of defensive plodders with zero pace or creativity, a defense that has already (after 4 games) been exposed as completely under strength and numbers, and a strike force that consists of a target man who cant score, and a crocked striker that has not been proven in this league.

Completely agree with Bobcat.

So anything good that's happened in the last 12 months (beating Man Utd, drawing in Munich, beating Madrid over 2 games, staying up) was in spite of Megson.....

.... and anything bad was because of him? Cheers, just so I've understood you right.

and as for your point about the Newcastle game - when we played them the fans were backing Keegan at their first home game. Hull played them when 52,000 were chanting to sack the board, hardly comparable.

We've not had a great start - neither have Man U, should they sack Ferguson?? We've got 4 first teamers to come back or settle in (Cahill, Elmander, Riga, Smolarek) - judge things when they've had a run. Ferguson has no backup for Ronaldo.... has he put a shite squad together? No, big player out, has to change things and settle for 2nd best for a while. Decent players who could play 1st XI premiership football will not come to Bolton to compete for a place in a squad of 25 other similarly-talented players, it will not happen, we aren't big enough.

I remember Merson saying last summer "I can see Bowlton gaarin frew 3 or 4 managers very quickly". I truly hope the c*nt ain't right. For the record, I don't think Megson is the right man for the job, never have, but I'm prepared to support him AND the players until I think he's had a fair crack at the job. That for me is November.

Last year we had the luxury of a world class striker for the first half of the season

Because we got loads of points and did really well that first half of the season.....

As for Elmander being a crock - ffs. He's only been here a month and got one injury, he's had a good fitness record the previous 10 years of his career so hardly Darren fcuking Anderton is he

Whats the weather like on your planet? I know there is a lot of negativity on the board, but there is optimism and just plain blinkered rose tinted glasses. you are the latter. By November it could very well be too late. he has had since last October. Nothing has changed. Nothing has improved.

Edited by BeeDee

Because we got loads of points and did really well that first half of the season.....

Didn't Anelka score the winner against Man Utd?

And fwiw I dont just the success of a season/manager to whether we beat Man utd. Get over it ffs. One game a season does not make. If it meant we could beat consistently the likes of WBA, fulham, etc I would take a hammering of Utd. They are not in our league. end of.

Edited by BeeDee

beat Man utd. Get over it ffs. One game a season does not make..

I didn't say it did, read my post. I put it in a list of positives that have happened under Gary Megson.

I am positive, I am a realist, not rose-tinted. I am not a fool to think that surviving in the bottom 8 every year is realistic for us, from where we've come from and the way the game is going, for a club our size that is success. I'm sure 72 teams would swap with us to be scrapping in the bottom 8 of the 'best league in the world'.

There are the top 4, then you got Villa, Spurs, Citeh, Newcastle all with billionaire owners. So that's the top 8 places gone MOST seasons. So it is really failing to be in the bottom 10?

So anything good that's happened in the last 12 months (beating Man Utd, drawing in Munich, beating Madrid over 2 games, staying up) was in spite of Megson.....

.... and anything bad was because of him? Cheers, just so I've understood you right.

and as for your point about the Newcastle game - when we played them the fans were backing Keegan at their first home game. Hull played them when 52,000 were chanting to sack the board, hardly comparable.

We've not had a great start - neither have Man U, should they sack Ferguson?? We've got 4 first teamers to come back or settle in (Cahill, Elmander, Riga, Smolarek) - judge things when they've had a run. Ferguson has no backup for Ronaldo.... has he put a shite squad together? No, big player out, has to change things and settle for 2nd best for a while. Decent players who could play 1st XI premiership football will not come to Bolton to compete for a place in a squad of 25 other similarly-talented players, it will not happen, we aren't big enough.

I remember Merson saying last summer "I can see Bowlton gaarin frew 3 or 4 managers very quickly". I truly hope the c*nt ain't right. For the record, I don't think Megson is the right man for the job, never have, but I'm prepared to support him AND the players until I think he's had a fair crack at the job. That for me is November.

I can see where you're coming from, Tyler, and optimism can be good. But as I've said elsewhere, what system are these players coming back into ?

Have we got a system that's failing because these players are missing ? Or can we not play the system we want to while these players are missing ? I can't see much evidence for either of those scenarios.

Will Megson abandon his favoured 4-5-1 ? Will he begin to start Riga, instead of leaving him on the bench ? How many attackers will he field at any one time ?

And, at the end of all that, what will be our midfield engine - passing the ball, bursting forward in support, creating movement for the front men - which combination of McCann, Nolan, Muamba & JOB (none of whom are new to the Prem, and only one new to the club) ?

Backed up by Shittu as first cover for two centre-backs.

For the club's sake, I hope Megson proves us doubters wrong; but the signs are bad.

The beginning of November will be exactly 10 games in ..............

Spot On Tyler :good:

At the end of the day, We've played one game with a full strength starting line-up and we won 3-1 against a team who beat Villa, and just lost to Everton. Unfortunately, we dont have any back-ups to these individuals I.E. Cahill, Elmander & Taylor. Shittu is... well as his name states. Elmander is our only striker who looks like he'll score our goals. Taylor has pace, and is probably our best midfielder. So that's pretty much the back bone of our team out. We WILL come good.

Regards

Optimist

Edited by Gaz Nt

Bobcat - One of the only people on here that talks sense.

People need to wake up. Megson is dragging this club back down the football league and he needs to go now.

But the job in hand is almost an impossible task regardless of who the manager is.

Even in the short time since Big Sam left - the EPL has changed again.

Money is being pumped in and we are falling farther and farther behind.

That is NOT the fault of Megson or the ticket office for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like him. Don't want him as manager. But I'm willing to give him more time.

I do however, think its time we dropped a division. I don't want us to, but think its inevitable now.

We're out of our depth.

I find it hard to comment on this as i have nt been to a game this season !

So my opnion is based on match reports and a honest assesment of the players we have available.

Throughout the team we are basically made up if solid reilable players.

We lack any flair or speed in the team, when it comes down to scoring goals we have nt looked like scoring a free flowing beauty since the days of jay-jay or youri, the odd glimpse when anelka was here but nothing on a consistent basis.

it all just seems like hard work.

But the job in hand is almost an impossible task regardless of who the manager is.

Even in the short time since Big Sam left - the EPL has changed again.

Money is being pumped in and we are falling farther and farther behind.

That is NOT the fault of Megson or the ticket office for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like him. Don't want him as manager. But I'm willing to give him more time.

I do however, think its time we dropped a division. I don't want us to, but think its inevitable now.

We're out of our depth.

I agree with most of what you've written, except the last bit.

Relegation = Administration for Bolton.

What Bolton are short of once every one is fit is a creative midfield player. Megson is trying to get Joey O'Brien to play in that role and the evidence so far is that he is not up to it. After watching Saturday's display, we should have paid the asking price for Bullard. However we are stuck with what we've got until January so let's hope they can pick up enough points to keep us above the relegation zone.

What Bolton are short of once every one is fit is a creative midfield player. Megson is trying to get Joey O'Brien to play in that role and the evidence so far is that he is not up to it. After watching Saturday's display, we should have paid the asking price for Bullard. However we are stuck with what we've got until January so let's hope they can pick up enough points to keep us above the relegation zone.

more chance of joey deacon playing a creative midfielder role than joey obrien.

Unless you know different, I wasn't aware there was actually an asking price for Bullard.

I was under the impression Fulham didn't want to sell.

• Moderators

there was never an asking price

he didn't want to leave

they didn't want to sell him

expressing an interest in players players who are clearly going nowhere doesn't count as being busy in the transfer market

maniche as well

• Site Supporter

if we had signed bullard, a team of:

_________jussi

steinsson cahill obrien gardner

____nolan muamba bullard___

___davies elmander taylor___

would have been the strongest team for many a year (on paper), providing elmander lives up to his price tag.

problem is many more teams have improved also, so were back to square one.

it also depends IF megson can make them play. which i accept is questionable, but totally out of our hands anyway.

so for the time being i keep my rose tinted glass and back my fookin team!

there was never an asking price

he didn't want to leave

they didn't want to sell him

expressing an interest in players players who are clearly going nowhere doesn't count as being busy in the transfer market

maniche as well

I was told that Bolton offered ?3m for Bullard but Fulham wanted ?5m. However I think Zico is more likely to be right than the person I was talking to.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.