Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sir Gary Megson

• Moderators

ive seen the interviews with megson

bloke looks really low despite two massive wins

i find that sad

ok, he's well rewarded, but ffs theres more to life than cash (at least thats what them who've got some tell me)

i actually felt a bit sorry for him yesterday!!

especially the 'he's coming home' chants to phil brown

I felt sorry for him too. It must be galling to hear your own support chanting the name of the opposition manager.

Fair play to him for coming to applaud the travelling support after the game too.

Don't follow the Brown-love myself (as a manager). It's still early days for both him and Hull, and i don't think he'd dramatically improve us.

And he was as bad as any other manager after the game on Sky, saying we turned up to spoil the game, that the goal shouldn't have stood, and that we didn't allow them to get their passing game going until the second half.

If the second half was an example of their passing game, we're ragging Brazil.

But yeah, for Megson it'll always be the same. He'll take all the blame when we lose, and none of the credit when we win.

ive seen the interviews with megson

bloke looks really low despite two massive wins

i find that sad

ok, he's well rewarded, but ffs theres more to life than cash (at least thats what them who've got some tell me)

He now seems to come across that the recent results have been despite the fans, not because of their support. Now given the grief he gets thats pretty understandable but not very healthy for the club going forward so hopefully it will change but that will only come with results and some attacking nous.

i actually felt a bit sorry for him yesterday!!

especially the 'he's coming home' chants to phil brown

I thought that was to wind up the 'ull fans.

It would have been a lot worse had we been losing

I hope he makes it, he has brought in some good players, with potential.

Elmander scoring a few goals and improving his contribution would help; he was possibly our weakest link yesterday (?)

Edited by boltondiver

He still has a lot to prove, we have beaten a woeful city team and were a little bit fortunate yesterday, he has brought in a few decent younger players which I applaud, we are begining to use the width and get some pace into the team, thank christ he has stopped using nolan,muamba,obrien and mcann in midfield and added a bit of pace with gardner and or riga, he has finally stumbled on the fact that Davies is the only real target man in the club, these decisions have been way to long in the making many people of here could have told him that weeks ago. I look back on some of his previous decisions, for example sticking with a clearly lacking in confidence Mr jaaskalinen last year, luckily he got injured and habsi came in, the dropping of Diouf and the selection of cohen and Rasiak at boro were shocking decisions, fate played it's part and both got injured otherwise we would have lost that game, I will continue to keep quiet and support the team on match days, it does not mean I like Megsn but I really hope he gets it right and we do not have to change managers for a while, as everyone knows stability is a major factor in a succesful team/club.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

He now seems to come across that the recent results have been despite the fans, not because of their support. Now given the grief he gets thats pretty understandable but not very healthy for the club going forward so hopefully it will change but that will only come with results and some attacking nous.

I didn't get that vibe from him, he does look a bit down at the personal abuse he has been getting but he has consistently said how important our support (from Boro) onwards was in the run in last season and praised the fans for this. The fans got behind the team on Saturday whilst still having a few digs at him. I think he will just have to settle for that, for now.

As one previous poster said he gets stick when it goes wrong but no credit when we win. That's why I am becoming more and more sympathetic to Mr Megson. It can't be nice when so many people are set against you particularly now the national press have picked up on it 'as popular as Gary Megson in Bolton' etc.

• Moderators

It's a 2 way thing though, he's been moaning to the press about the abuse he's been getting from our fans when for all I've seen it's been a 12 year old with their mum's bedsheet and a fat Mexican with a piece of cardboard. It's not as if there's been mass demos on the forecourt.

He still has a lot to prove, we have beaten a woeful city team and were a little bit fortunate yesterday, he has brought in a few decent younger players which I applaud, we are begining to use the width and get some pace into the team, thank christ he has stopped using nolan,muamba,obrien and mcann in midfield and added a bit of pace with gardner and or riga, he has finally stumbled on the fact that Davies is the only real target man in the club, these decisions have been way to long in the making many people of here could have told him that weeks ago. I look back on some of his previous decisions, for example sticking with a clearly lacking in confidence Mr jaaskalinen last year, luckily he got injured and habsi came in, the dropping of Diouf and the selection of cohen and Rasiak at boro were shocking decisions, fate played it's part and both got injured otherwise we would have lost that game, I will continue to keep quiet and support the team on match days, it does not mean I like Megsn but I really hope he gets it right and we do not have to change managers for a while, as everyone knows stability is a major factor in a succesful team/club.

Good post Mounts.

We really don't want to have to get rid of Megson if we can avoid it - but some of his team selections and tactics have been so bad that you think getting rid of him is the only way forward.

You would think he has had enough stick from supporters of various clubs (mostly for being too negative) that he would have twigged by now that there is perhaps an alternative formula to successfully managing teams.

I didn't get that vibe from him, he does look a bit down at the personal abuse he has been getting but he has consistently said how important our support (from Boro) onwards was in the run in last season and praised the fans for this. The fans got behind the team on Saturday whilst still having a few digs at him. I think he will just have to settle for that, for now.

As one previous poster said he gets stick when it goes wrong but no credit when we win. That's why I am becoming more and more sympathetic to Mr Megson. It can't be nice when so many people are set against you particularly now the national press have picked up on it 'as popular as Gary Megson in Bolton' etc.

?500,000 or year (or whatever it is) would surely ease the pain.

It can't be nice when so many people are set against you particularly now the national press have picked up on it 'as popular as Gary Megson in Bolton' etc.

Well maybe the tide is turning then, because we can abuse him, but what right have the national newspapers!!!

Maybe the siege mentality could return with Megson getting some support, rather than have these London types slag him off for us.

Well maybe the tide is turning then, because we can abuse him, but what right have the national newspapers!!!

Maybe the siege mentality could return with Megson getting some support, rather than have these London types slag him off for us.

Like, he's a tosser, but he's our tosser?

?500,000 or year (or whatever it is) would surely ease the pain.

Yes it does and criticism comes with the territory. But my point was that some of the abuse is over the top and must get to Megson whether he earns ?15,000 or ?500,000 or whatever.

• Site Supporter

He knows he isn't liked.

He knows he wasn't liked as soon as the appointment was made.

He knows that no matter what results come Bolton's way there'll still be no credit from some Bolton supporters.

Let's face it, we could win the next 5 or 6 games on the trot and, should we lose the 7th it'll be back to Megson out!

I'm sure all this will make a good chapter in any future autobiography.

I must be one of the very few who actually quite likes Megson- i mean the way he conducts himself in interviews etc , i happen to think that most of the time he talks articulately and honestly. I'd grown to hate Fat Sams self promotion, arrogance and the way he courted the media - and i was bored shitless with his style of football by the end of his reign, i don't think Megsons as stubborn as Allardyce - and he's learning to try different things. Maybe one day he'll play football similar to how we want it played. :pardon:

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
It's a 2 way thing though, he's been moaning to the press about the abuse he's been getting from our fans when for all I've seen it's been a 12 year old with their mum's bedsheet and a fat Mexican with a piece of cardboard. It's not as if there's been mass demos on the forecourt.

i thought you mods were supposed to read the threads !!!!

I must be one of the very few who actually quite likes Megson- i mean the way he conducts himself in interviews etc , i happen to think that most of the time he talks articulately and honestly. I'd grown to hate Fat Sams self promotion, arrogance and the way he courted the media - and i was bored shitless with his style of football by the end of his reign, i don't think Megsons as stubborn as Allardyce - and he's learning to try different things. Maybe one day he'll play football similar to how we want it played. :pardon:

Spot on BB, I think exactly the same

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.