Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Big Sam One Trick Pony

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were shit and they're for the taking, but Garty/Davies had Megson under instruction, as well as Megson having a ?1m bonus to stay up so getting out of UEFA was appealing. You can't blame Megson, i'd have fielded a weakened team for that money riding on it.

Can you stop making things up to the support the shower of shite you are telling us.

This current pursuit of Vieri is a strange one - nearly 36 but not svelte like Youri. Vieri was always a big lad so I just can't see how this one is going to work. Also, he's scored less than my Gran in the last few seasons for a rag-tag of clubs.

Strange....

Personally, I think it's a publicity stunt and the guy hasn't got a cat in hells chance of being taken on.

This current pursuit of Vieri is a strange one - nearly 36 but not svelte like Youri. Vieri was always a big lad so I just can't see how this one is going to work. Also, he's scored less than my Gran in the last few seasons for a rag-tag of clubs.

Strange....

Personally, I think it's a publicity stunt and the guy hasn't got a cat in hells chance of being taken on.

as he's part aussie he's just here to watch th'ashes

Welcome to wanderersways syd :good:

Syd? your entitled to your opinions, without them the forums would be boring. Whilst Im not a Megson fan I do get the impression that those who oppose him are the ones who don`t like change. We all got used to Sam as boss because he was here for a long time, he was the first manager in modern times to take the club into Europe, he brought in some fantastic players, but at the same time he brought in many donkey`s. Megson has worked a minor miracle keeping the club in the prem whilst doing what he has done, ok, he may not come over in interviews very eloquently but the bloke must take some credit. Lets see who he brings in before the season starts and judge him after ten games. Meantime, Allardyce has a far more difficult job at Blackburn, lets see who comes off best.

Syd? your entitled to your opinions, without them the forums would be boring. Whilst Im not a Megson fan I do get the impression that those who oppose him are the ones who don`t like change. We all got used to Sam as boss because he was here for a long time, he was the first manager in modern times to take the club into Europe, he brought in some fantastic players, but at the same time he brought in many donkey`s. Megson has worked a minor miracle keeping the club in the prem whilst doing what he has done, ok, he may not come over in interviews very eloquently but the bloke must take some credit. Lets see who he brings in before the season starts and judge him after ten games. Meantime, Allardyce has a far more difficult job at Blackburn, lets see who comes off best.
I have neither a hatred or a liking for Megson,and for the most part he is doing everything he was brought in to do,and as for his media image I dont think any decent fan cares a hoot how he portrays himself in front of a camera.The main thing is imo is that BWFC remain a premiership club my goodness I have seen some pretty lean times in my years,and some very poor players come and go.My original point was that there seems to be a major split right down the middle of pros and antis,and at the end of the day we are all here with the common goal of supporting the MIGHTY WHITES we are in and amongst the best teams in world football we should all be united in keeping it that way.

I have neither a hatred or a liking for Megson,and for the most part he is doing everything he was brought in to do,and as for his media image I dont think any decent fan cares a hoot how he portrays himself in front of a camera.The main thing is imo is that BWFC remain a premiership club my goodness I have seen some pretty lean times in my years,and some very poor players come and go.My original point was that there seems to be a major split right down the middle of pros and antis,and at the end of the day we are all here with the common goal of supporting the MIGHTY WHITES we are in and amongst the best teams in world football we should all be united in keeping it that way.

good post syd I agree wholeheartedly, one thing though try not to mention that club down the road, together will suffice.

You will do for me :good:

No doubt Sam did a brilliant job for us and even now I sometimes would entertain the notion of having him back. This season will be very interesting in solving the debate about Sam and Megsons perceived strengths and weakness. Will they finish higher than us? Some have been moaning about the number of signings Jackburn have made compared to us but are they any good? Plus they've lost Ooijer,Too Gay,Santa Cruz ,but on the plus side they trousered ?15 million. I don't get the impression that Sam is going to repeat the job he did here. Don't quite know why and it's early days but it's obvious that Sam is not going to get the money he craved at Bolton over at Jackburn (unless he sells his best players). I really can't see him getting Van Nistelrooy but then again he did get Anelka (as he has been quick to point out!)

I'm hoping to finish above Jackburn, the Pie Eaters and Burnley. Surely not too optimistic?

In one sense, personally I'd agree with what's highlighted there.

The problem is it aint as simple as that, and that's where the club has dropped a bollock. I think it was Ani said a good while back that PR training is cheap and readily available. Quite so, and there's no excuse for a strategy not having been drawn up to counter any deficiencies he has on the PR front.

And there have been issues - the first family fun day thingy, for example. And his apparent inability to talk about "us" when talking about the club; how many times has he been over to away fans to celebrate an away win with clenched fist in an "we're all in this together" manner"?

Whether any of us think that that should matter or not is neither here nor there, the fact is it hasn't helped. He has reported on negativity from the stands - but the valid question remains whether his actions have precipitated it.

If anything I'm not saying this by way of criticism of him - it's criticism of the club in fact.

After all, they should have realised that there would be issues and constructed a strategy to deal with it. Fucking hell, they're paying the bugger serious money (by our standards anyhow) so why wouldn't you sort that out. And if he didn't want to play ball then let's imagine the conversation at the end of the job interview:

Phil: So Gary, that's all the questions we have and I'm happy to say that you seem to be exactly what we're after. One thing though, you'll need to brush up on your PR skills as our lot are a fickle bunch. They'll travel in their thousands to fuck knows where in UEFA, but they'll start grumbling if we draw a few home games on the trot.

Gary: Thing is Phil, I'd rather not. I don't do PR.

Phil: Ah but I know our fans, and I insist - it'll be for the best, trust me.

Gary: Sorry Phil, but that kind of thing is just not me.

Phil: Well let me put it this way, old son. 6 months ago you were putting out training cones for nowt at Stoke. Now we're offering you a lucrative contract, with generous bonuses, to work in the highest profile league in the world, with a budget in the 10s of millions. Do you want it, or not.

Now, what is the last line to this conversation? Is it:

"Thanks Phil, but I'll have to pass on it. PR aint my thing. But hey, I just happen to have a set of training cones in the boot, and Stoke is only 90 minutes away. I'll give Tony Pulis a bell..."

or

"Fair enough...where do I sign"

Sir Nat,

I appreciate that Megson has achieved his goals by keeping us in prem whilst slashing the wage bill, however to say it was pure class! There were a lot of poor teams in the league the last couple of seasons and don?t forget he got money to spend which Sam never had. He inherited an ageing squad ok, however a squad minus Sammy Lees signings that qualified for Europe.

Did you go to Lisbon?

Did you go to Bayern Munich?

The Pro-Megson mob were at Jackburn away, when 'that' chant happened they were all in a rush to get on-line and slate those that did it.

It's fucking tedious - he's our manager, he's going nowhere, not everyone will agree with each other, all fans moan, not all supporters like their respective managers.

Guest Holly_Goodhead
The Pro-Megson mob were at Jackburn away, when 'that' chant happened they were all in a rush to get on-line and slate those that did it.

It's fucking tedious - he's our manager, he's going nowhere, not everyone will agree with each other, all fans moan, not all supporters like their respective managers.

So were the superfans sat at home in Bolton/America/Australia.....let's blame the fans when things go pearshaped on the pitch is their motto.

Guest Firthy
Phil: So Gary, that's all the questions we have and I'm happy to say that you seem to be exactly what we're after. One thing though, you'll need to brush up on your PR skills as our lot are a fickle bunch. They'll travel in their thousands to fuck knows where in UEFA, but they'll start grumbling if we draw a few home games on the trot.

Gary: Thing is Phil, I'd rather not. I don't do PR.

Phil: Ah but I know our fans, and I insist - it'll be for the best, trust me.

Gary: Sorry Phil, but that kind of thing is just not me.

Phil: Well let me put it this way, old son. 6 months ago you were putting out training cones for nowt at Stoke. Now we're offering you a lucrative contract, with generous bonuses, to work in the highest profile league in the world, with a budget in the 10s of millions. Do you want it, or not.

Now, what is the last line to this conversation? Is it:

"Thanks Phil, but I'll have to pass on it. PR aint my thing. But hey, I just happen to have a set of training cones in the boot, and Stoke is only 90 minutes away. I'll give Tony Pulis a bell..."

or

"Fair enough...where do I sign"

Are you on glue?

Anyone can invent a ficticious and theoretical conversation to prove whatever point they want. What a load of nonsense.

• Moderators
So were the superfans sat at home in Bolton/America/Australia.....let's blame the fans when things go pearshaped on the pitch is their motto.

those abusing megson were twats

if you abused him, go get the cap as i'm sure it will fit

those abusing megson were twats

if you abused him, go get the cap as i'm sure it will fit

Typing it on a website, and saying it to said people at the time are two entirely different things, Cas.

• Moderators
I really can't see him getting Van Nistelrooy but then again he did get Anelka (as he has been quick to point out!)

like quite a few of his signings anelka had a lot more to prove than horse face would

• Moderators
Typing it on a website, and saying it to said people at the time are two entirely different things, Cas.

Those singing it were the jobless scruffy urchin cunts who'd think nothing of giving you a shoeing to impress their mates though. Discretion is the better part of valour.

Those singing it were the jobless scruffy urchin cunts who'd think nothing of giving you a shoeing to impress their mates though. Discretion is the better part of valour.

Good answer :good:

• Members

If that was addressed at me sonny - what would you know? I'll wager I've spent 10 or 20 times what you have following BWFC. How do you rate a 'superfan'?

Too much to ask for you to do your research. I am not one of the Megson blind faith loyalists - just judge him on his performance which, so far, has been better than adequate. Didn't want him; didn't rate him but backing him whilst he's here. Are you seriously defending the way those tosspots behaved at Blackburn? Had a few drinks in Madrid with 'as' so will choose to ignore his ramblings :D

I also suspect that when I was at the likes of Highfield Road, Loftus Road, Selhurst Park and the Baseball Ground in the sixties, you wouldn't even have been a twinkle in your fathers eye. How long has a superfan like you been following them then?

Guest Holly_Goodhead
If that was addressed at me sonny - what would you know? I'll wager I've spent 10 or 20 times what you have following BWFC. How do you rate a 'superfan'?

Too much to ask for you to do your research. I am not one of the Megson blind faith loyalists - just judge him on his performance which, so far, has been better than adequate. Didn't want him; didn't rate him but backing him whilst he's here. Are you seriously defending the way those tosspots behaved at Blackburn? Had a few drinks in Madrid with 'as' so will choose to ignore his ramblings :D

I also suspect that when I was at the likes of Highfield Road, Loftus Road, Selhurst Park and the Baseball Ground in the sixties, you wouldn't even have been a twinkle in your fathers eye. How long has a superfan like you been following them then?

1.People that travel to Blackburn on a midweek night in winter to watch a relegation threatened Bolton side are proper Bolton fans.They have a right to criticise if they don't like what they see.I don't think they are lesser fans than people who don't moan when it all goes pear shaped.

2.I have been reading your contributions for a while and am aware you are not one Megson's greatest supporters.You have a tendency to defend him anyway to have a go at his detractors for the hell of it.

3.No i wasn't following Bolton in the 60s but saw them at Highfield Road,Loftus Road,Selhurst Park and the Baseball Ground in the 80s or 90s.I would be surprised if you have seen Bolton on more grounds than I have.If you include airline tickets in the calculation of your total spend then I expect you have spent more money than I have following BWFC.But do you fly back only to go to the match or to have a holiday?If it is the latter it is surely not right to include the whole airline ticket price in your calculation.

How do i define superfan? Someone that goes to every match they can afford to.People who watched all 40 matches last season of Megson's Bolton deserve the accolade superfan.Or masochist.

• Members
1.People that travel to Blackburn on a midweek night in winter to watch a relegation threatened Bolton side are proper Bolton fans.They have a right to criticise if they don't like what they see.I don't think they are lesser fans than people who don't moan when it all goes pear shaped.

2.I have been reading your contributions for a while and am aware you are not one Megson's greatest supporters.You have a tendency to defend him anyway to have a go at his detractors for the hell of it.

3.No i wasn't following Bolton in the 60s but saw them at Highfield Road,Loftus Road,Selhurst Park and the Baseball Ground in the 80s or 90s.I would be surprised if you have seen Bolton on more grounds than I have.If you include airline tickets in the calculation of your total spend then I expect you have spent more money than I have following BWFC.But do you fly back only to go to the match or to have a holiday?If it is the latter it is surely not right to include the whole airline ticket price in your calculation.

How do i define superfan? Someone that goes to every match they can afford to.People who watched all 40 matches last season of Megson's Bolton deserve the accolade superfan.Or masochist.

At last a direct response.

1) What good does the type of criticism at Blackburn do? None. It is self defeating and only contributes to helping the opposition. Can't you see that?

2) I have grown to appreciate the way he has steadied the ship when we were looking badly in danger of sinkng. I don't have a go at his detractors 'for the hell of it'. I get pissed off with the childish and mindless 'Mugson', 'Smegson' etc. shiyte that seems to be continually spewed forth by some. Not in your case I might add - with you it is twisting almost every thread you contribute to into Megson criticism - even when there is a less than tenuous link. You even managed to get one in in your last sentence of that post.

3) I did over 50% of the aways over 20 years. Quicker to list the ones I haven't been to but who wants to enter into a pissing contest? No fecker can back up their statements with proof anyway. As far as travel back - fair point - a few have been holidays. The vast majority, however, have been 2-5 day trips purely football related. Even the Atletico Madrid trip was only a 5 dayer.

Last 12 months have been a bit grim as the opportunity has not presented itself. Should be back for a few games soon (I hope!).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.