Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth go into administration

Boothy

They're still at it! Asking the FA for leeway to sell players outside of the transfer window. (BBC Sport - Football)

IMO, they shouldn't bend the rules for one club over the rest, but I find myself in two minds about PFC. On the one hand, i'd like them to reap what the sow and receive that winding-up order, but on the other, they're a club steeped in history and I think how it would feel if the Wanderer's approached a financial mess. Bet the Southern fucker's wouldn't give to shites. Fuck 'em, the sooner they're out of the EPL the better!

The cheeky barstewards! Plenty of clubs with similar cash flow problems and facing administration and winding-up orders have had to do it without the FA having to break its own (and FIFA's) rules to help them out.

That is not to say that I have ever agreed with the transfer window. Besides anything else, I'm sure it's against European trade laws, along with employment law. But if the rules are in place, everyone must abide by them until the courts say otherwise. The Bosman Ruling and the transfer windows have severely restricted clubs- particularly smaller clubs- in their ability to make money. This, along with the collapse of ITV Digital, impacted clubs in the Football League badly. Clubs denied income from the tv deal learned they couldn't sell players to get income to pay the rest or any other debts. There isn't a bill payment/debt window that coincides with the transfer window. All clubs know this before the start of each season and those clubs that fail to manage their finances accordingly only have themselves to blame. They shouldn't expect anyone to bend or break rules just to bail them out.

what the fuck would westy do with his life if pompey went under?

Seriously though, id like them to see out the season (somehow) so we dont lose points then they can crawl into the night never to return.

See you later pompey...no one gives a fuck about ya!

They're still at it! Asking the FA for leeway to sell players outside of the transfer window. (BBC Sport - Football)

IMO, they shouldn't bend the rules for one club over the rest, but I find myself in two minds about PFC. On the one hand, i'd like them to reap what the sow and receive that winding-up order, but on the other, they're a club steeped in history and I think how it would feel if the Wanderer's approached a financial mess. Bet the Southern fucker's wouldn't give to shites. Fuck 'em, the sooner they're out of the EPL the better!

How would that work then, seeing the rest cant buy because of the same transfer window :whistle:

Guest Frandsen08

i can see fifa's words right now. Get to fuck!

blatter has been going on about premier league clubs and huge debts for years, and that if should they ask for help they will only have themselves to blame , and fifa isnt a governing body to help with debts.

no club will pay what pompey want for any of their players for the fact that most clubs will say heres our offer take it or leave it.

they are well and truly fucked

How would that work then, seeing the rest cant buy because of the same transfer window :whistle:

I'm guessing that the idea is that instead of waiting until the end of the season to sell the players and get the money - they sell now (and get the money now) BUT the player doesn't move to their new club until the summer - and presumably immediately 'loaned' back to Portsmouth so that they can still play for the rest of the season for them(?).

A bit like having a pre contract agreement.

Edited by Sluffy

I'm guessing that the idea is that instead of waiting until the end of the season to sell the players and get the money - they sell now (and get the money now) BUT the player doesn't move to their new club until the summer - and presumably immediately 'loaned' back to Portsmouth so that they can still play for the rest of the season for them(?).

All well and good, but there is another rule preventing that- a player cannot go immediately on loan to the club that sold him. The scenario surrounding Smalling's move from Fulham is a little different, and that is he goes to Man U from Fulham at the end of his (revised, perhaps) current Fulham Contract. United and Fulham reached an agreement whereby Fulham would change the terms of his contract, for which they would receive compensation from Manchester United. The transaction was essentially a way of circumventing that "no sale and leaseback" rule. Incidentally, the smalling deal probably could have been done outside the window anyway!

Such players would be in line for World Cup places and being prevented from playing would damage their chances. If the club folds, they are totally free agents and could be allowed to sign for other clubs under existing rules. THe idea is unworkable. FIFA will probably ensure it doesn't happen anyway!

I was surprised when they loaned Nugent back out to Burnley, surely it would have been better to try and sell him for something to anyone

Very informative R5 debate today at a Pompey venue. Will be on iPlayer if you missed it.

I think that debate was a real wakeup call to any fan of one of the smaller clubs in the prem. If that's what it costs to win the FA cup, than I'd rather have a club to follow ta very much.

They are in serious trouble and no wonder; 91% of their income was spend only on wages! I'll recall that figure next time I slate Elmander for balloning a shot.

but they wouldn't be able to play

Premier League rules have provisions in place for a predicament such as this:

Clubs Ceasing to be Members

32. Upon a Club (in this Rule and Rule L.33 called ?the Former Member?) ceasing to be a member

of the League under the provisions of Rule B.6 (other than by reason of its relegation from the

League in accordance with Rule B.28), the registrations of its Players (except those held in

consequence of a Temporary Transfer) shall vest in the League and thereupon the League shall

be at liberty to transfer those registrations as it shall think fit and shall receive any

Compensation Fees to which the Former Member would otherwise have been entitled under

the provisions of Section M of these Rules.

The upshot of which is that the League can allow players to play for other clubs.

Talk about having your cake and eating it ..... that would be allowing them to put cream on it too !

They've been in a fianancial hole for months. They should have sold players in January. Instead they've held onto them and now want others to bail them out. Completely irresponsible.

I know we're worried about our 3 points but enough's enough. They should go into voluntary admin.

I think that debate was a real wakeup call to any fan of one of the smaller clubs in the prem. If that's what it costs to win the FA cup, than I'd rather have a club to follow ta very much.

They are in serious trouble and no wonder; 91% of their income was spend only on wages! I'll recall that figure next time I slate Elmander for balloning a shot.

What was also apparent was the web of inter-related shenanigans between the recent owners. One of the guys on the programme had followd it through and his evidence was damning enough, even though he was clearly limited in what he could say. Astonishing stuff, and a programme which should make us eternally grateful for having a fan as an owner. Whatever Eddie's faults or limitations (true or perceived) they are as nought compared to the rabble who have run Pompey for the last decade.

What was also apparent was the web of inter-related shenanigans between the recent owners. One of the guys on the programme had followd it through and his evidence was damning enough, even though he was clearly limited in what he could say. Astonishing stuff, and a programme which should make us eternally grateful for having a fan as an owner. Whatever Eddie's faults or limitations (true or perceived) they are as nought compared to the rabble who have run Pompey for the last decade.

Totally agree. Spoke to a Chelsea mate of mine after the programme and, after chucking as Claridge's attempts to keep up with a debate that isn't spoken in the third person; he agreed that if Roman did one they could be in real trouble. However, I quickly pointed out, its not the same postion as a small prem club. If their benefactor did one; they would still be a big London club we, on the other hand, have to rely on being well run and enticing good managers who can do the best with with the board can offer - be that players within budget, spotting great loan players or employing young, hungry team staff for player development.

If the board can do that, within budget, then as fans we must be happy.

If you were one of the players on stupid money, bleeding the club dry (ie James / Utaka) would you not offer to take a wage cut in order to help save the club?? Not only would you be seen as a hero for making do with only 40k a week but if / when they go under their contracts will be terminated and prospects of being signed by a prem club slim to none.

There is no way the FA can start making exceptions about transfers outside the window, enough clubs have screwed themselves over financially for Pompey to have seen the consequences of living beyond their means.

If you were one of the players on stupid money, bleeding the club dry (ie James / Utaka) would you not offer to take a wage cut in order to help save the club?? Not only would you be seen as a hero for making do with only 40k a week but if / when they go under their contracts will be terminated and prospects of being signed by a prem club slim to none.

There is no way the FA can start making exceptions about transfers outside the window, enough clubs have screwed themselves over financially for Pompey to have seen the consequences of living beyond their means.

Utaka is on around 30k per week so he already earns less than 40k per week

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.