Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Time To Buck Up!

I'm proudly wearing my Bolton Wanderers shirt. FA Cup Semi Final defeat? Nowt!! Not if you followed the whites through the wilderness Division 3 and 4 days of the 1980s! Chartlton away (1983) Scarborough away (1987), Darlington (home, Bonfire Night 1985) - now they really were the ultimate lows!

Come on you Whites!

alot of us have experienced truly awfull lows...but getting beat in the semi final of the f.a cup semi final against a team no better than us on paper,being shown up infront of the whole country,and being denied the chance to forefill every dream any of us have ever had in watching our team walk out in an f.a cup final,watching a team so guttless and spineless it makes me sick...but its all ok,because we were shite once and got beat by notts county 6-0.

Fucking bollocks.we arent here to pay for what happend to bolton in the 80's.

alot of us have experienced truly awfull lows...but getting beat in the semi final of the f.a cup semi final against a team no better than us on paper,being shown up infront of the whole country,and being denied the chance to forefill every dream any of us have ever had in watching our team walk out in an f.a cup final,watching a team so guttless and spineless it makes me sick...but its all ok,because we were shite once and got beat by notts county 6-0.

Fucking bollocks.we arent here to pay for what happend to bolton in the 80's.

All true. But supporting Bolton is obviously in your blood otherwise you wouldn't be so angry. In the context of the history of the club, these remain very good times. I'm merely saying lets not get the doom to deep. I felt bad yesterday and still do - but I've felt a whole lot worse on occasions in the past.

I can handle lows.

I've been here for 30 years and will do another 30 too.

Aldershot, Scarbro', Tranmere, Black Sunday....part and parcel.

What I can't handle is spineless gutless shit from millionaire wankers who in either a couple of months or a couple of years won't care two shits about our club and our dreams of getting to the FA Cup Final - a lifelong and realistic pinnacle of our hopes and ambitions.

Sure they want to win the FA up too and will be upset. For themselves. Not for Bolton. For themselves. They'd be just as happy winning it at any club.

I dont want to win it at any club I want to win it at Bolton. It's my club. You cannot have another. You make your choice and it is yours for life.

And thats the difference they will never be able to understand.

• Site Supporter

I'm proudly wearing my Bolton Wanderers shirt. FA Cup Semi Final defeat? Nowt!! Not if you followed the whites through the wilderness Division 3 and 4 days of the 1980s! Chartlton away (1983) Scarborough away (1987), Darlington (home, Bonfire Night 1985) - now they really were the ultimate lows!

Come on you Whites!

With the greatest of respect Paul, you're talking right from the pits of your bowels.

We couldn't have scored against 11 bowls of Cornflakes yesterday and it's thoroughly, utterly unacceptable.

5-0 is bad enough at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge, but at Wembley against a team of clodders and shotputters when everyone has forked out ?100 apiece is beyond the pale.

Utter wank to compare it to Trevor Morgan having an off day.

With the greatest of respect Paul, you're talking right from the pits of your bowels.

We couldn't have scored against 11 bowls of Cornflakes yesterday and it's thoroughly, utterly unacceptable.

5-0 is bad enough at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge, but at Wembley against a team of clodders and shotputters when everyone has forked out ?100 apiece is beyond the pale.

Utter wank to compare it to Trevor Morgan having an off day.

The club will still be there on Sunday and the week after and the week after that. Of course it was sh*te and unacceptable and of course we get let down - but dwelling on it for too long will do more harm than good - players, manager, staff, fans - everyone.

It is not utter wank to compare it to the 80s - or even to losing 0-6 at home to the Munich filth.

Adding perspective is just my way of dealing with acute disappointment. If you don't like it, feel free to carry on wailing and gnashing teeth.

It is not utter wank to compare it to the 80s

Adding perspective is just my way of dealing with acute disappointment.

But you're not really 'adding perspective' by comparing it with the 80's. We were shit back then and we expected nothing more than shit performances. Yesterday we had every right to expect better than we got and it was all over after 10 minutes. It's over 50 years since our last F.A. Cup final appearance and we may never have a better chance of getting to another one in our lifetime.

Nomatter how many apologies they give to make themselves feel better I honestly do not think the players fully realise what they did yesterday.

It wasn't a defeat.

It was much much more than that. Much more.

For clubs like us, a new generation of support is born from an FA Cup Final appearance. It's once in a lifetime reward for the effort, ambition, and unconditional support given on the rainswept terraces of Plain Moor, Brisbane Road, and Roots Hall.

If anyone needs any more explaining then they won't ever understand either.

But you're not really 'adding perspective' by comparing it with the 80's. We were shit back then and we expected nothing more than shit performances. Yesterday we had every right to expect better than we got and it was all over after 10 minutes. It's over 50 years since our last F.A. Cup final appearance and we may never have a better chance of getting to another one in our lifetime.

But we are 8th in the Premier League, about to embark on our 11th straight season in the top flight after having had 4 in the previous 36 seasons.

I'm sorry, yesterday was shocking - but it was not the end of the f*cking world!!

Edited by paulhanley

But we are 8th in the Premier League, about to embark on our 11th straight season in the top flight after having had 4 in the previous 36 seasons.

I'm sorry, yesterday was shocking - but it was not the end of the f*cking world!!

All of which is true and none of which has anything to do with the 80's.

All of which is true and none of which has anything to do with the 80's.

Apart from the fact that 10 of the previous 36 seasons mentioned happened to be in that decade and contained serial throat-slitting moments that help me remember things could be so much worse.

Smiths is right they ripped away from us something very special something that comes around once in a lifetime I will be there sunday cheering on my team but as smffs said they don't really know what they did to us all yesterday a lifelong dream just put down to a bad day at the office I think not

I see where you're coming from Paul.

You're completely correct in that we've performed much worse in the past, but those players weren't as good as the current crop and such performances almost became expected.

But yesterday's game was very winnable: Stoke didn't even have to play well to beat us: that's how poor we were.

Those dark days of the 80's at tinpot shitholes like Smiffs mentions, did indeed feature similarly pisspoor performances, but here's the difference:

those shit players couldn't be accused of rolling over and spinelessly shitting out like those fairies did at Wembley.

we dont have to keep harping back to the 80s..all we do is look at the past 10 yrs apart from the last couple of yrs under fathead and that period of time best forgotten under megson..we've not had it too bad...yes yesterdays performance was dire and gutless and spineless as its ever been and we have a right to be angry, really fecking angry to say the least and it will hurt for some time yet and may never go away(dean holdsworth's miss still hurts doesnt it??) But shite happens.. and being bolton fans we know that... we lick our wounds and move on. i know one thing, at least we have places like this to vent our spleen which we didnt in the 80s..imagine if we had this back then

I can handle lows.

I've been here for 30 years and will do another 30 too.

Aldershot, Scarbro', Tranmere, Black Sunday....part and parcel.

What I can't handle is spineless gutless shit from millionaire wankers who in either a couple of months or a couple of years won't care two shits about our club and our dreams of getting to the FA Cup Final - a lifelong and realistic pinnacle of our hopes and ambitions.

Sure they want to win the FA up too and will be upset. For themselves. Not for Bolton. For themselves. They'd be just as happy winning it at any club.

I dont want to win it at any club I want to win it at Bolton. It's my club. You cannot have another. You make your choice and it is yours for life.

And thats the difference they will never be able to understand.

that sums it up perfectly

times running out for me

wont be here in 30 years

• Site Supporter

This is exactly the problem

This simply won't come around again quickly, so we have to fight for everything when the chance is there

They didn't. Instead we all had our arses handed to us in a fucking McDonalds bag.

Going over it in my head, one man keeps popping up as a symbol for all that was wrong yesterday. Gutless, disinterested, selfish.

His name, is Martin Petrov.

I will be there on Sunday but if they expect us to applaud them onto the pitch & cheer as their names are read out pre-match then they will have another thing coming.

That was a deep, wounding insult to the club yesterday.

It was the manner of the defeat that hurt the most, spineless and unprofessional.

wouldn't have happened if redfearn had been fit ;)

No our Neil would be looking to see which club was going to be promoted from the Championship that he could join as his current Premiership club was due to be relegated.

that sums it up perfectly

times running out for me

wont be here in 30 years

Me 2 buddy - Even if I am around at 87 I dont think I will be making wembley trips

We do have to move on though; once a white always a white - its my club and they cant take that away from me. Better than being a plastic red

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.