Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Baths?

Youri McAnespie

the pool inside is massive, it has a bit in the water where the floor can raise up or down, it can be shallow for kids, deep for diving and flat witht the rest for competition swimming. On the first floor there is a hydro pool, there is also a rock wall which is pretty fucking high. One thing I noticed when they were building it was that they were fitting cameras in the changing rooms, thought that was illegal. Theres a gym there too

(dont ride in the lifts)

I don't get it :mellow:

Anyone been bury baths, not been for ages, does it still have a diving board?

Also at Water place, didn't it have a little section after you walked out the dressing room, like a small square bit with cold water up to your ankles, never knew why that was there.

I don't get it :mellow:

Anyone been bury baths, not been for ages, does it still have a diving board?

Also at Water place, didn't it have a little section after you walked out the dressing room, like a small square bit with cold water up to your ankles, never knew why that was there.

Fucking frightening..

• Site Supporter

Cockroaches doing the backstroke at Moss Street. The balcony full of kids changing was a peado's heaven.

nightmare flash backs at he mention of that place, swimming in pyjamas with Beryl Stone pushing me away from the side with a stick and hoop when trying to grab on. that's the way to learn eh? swim or drown. Broken floor tiles that cut your feet and stinking, stinking toilets.

in between the two pools, there was actually a "public baths" down a corridor, where people, without a bath at home I presume, could go and have a bath. some strange people in there when i wandered in as a kid, including one man pissing in the said baths. Got hammered off my mam for going in, so she must have been wary of the place, but I, along with loads of others were allowed to wander between the two pools in just our trunks. ah the good old days :huh:

One thing I noticed when they were building it was that they were fitting cameras in the changing rooms, thought that was illegal.

Worked alongside the CCTV design team on a job last year, they weren't allowed to put cameras in the toilets (neither inside nor outside cubicles)

nightmare flash backs at he mention of that place, swimming in pyjamas with Beryl Stone pushing me away from the side with a stick and hoop when trying to grab on. that's the way to learn eh? swim or drown. Broken floor tiles that cut your feet and stinking, stinking toilets.

in between the two pools, there was actually a "public baths" down a corridor, where people, without a bath at home I presume, could go and have a bath. some strange people in there when i wandered in as a kid, including one man pissing in the said baths. Got hammered off my mam for going in, so she must have been wary of the place, but I, along with loads of others were allowed to wander between the two pools in just our trunks. ah the good old days :huh:

i remember all that but at least it got you out of school for a morning when school used to take you there on a coach.Also had every monday morning off after, by going to deansgate health center to have my verrucas cut off

I went for a dip this teatime (cue 'Youri Suspect' comments :) ). It's cheap and not very cheerful - the woman behind the counter acted like I'd asked if I could go and piss in the pool, rather than asking "one to swim please".

It seems every expense has been spared, feeling a bit like being back in communist Poland (colour scheme - battleship grey everywhere). The pool however, like anewman says, is pretty big and there is no shallow end for any budding Len Faircloughs to lurk in. Cameras everywhere (which folk shouldn't have a problem with) and anti-noncing/peeping tom bars on top of the changing cubicles...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I never wore Speedo's, used have some blue kickers shorts for swimming times, used swim a lot at Smithills, but we had a boring teacher who just made us do laps and dive for bricks.

You'll thank him one day, when you happen along a canal, in your pyjamas, and your brick accidentally falls in...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Moss st , baths where i learned to swim, because some twat threw me in, about 5 yrs old, but spent many a day in there in my childhood. "Jack Sheffs temperance bar" for a pint of Nettle beer... unfortunately in my teens i once had to experience the delights of having to use the other baths in there...

Anybody go swimming in Starmount, Blue Lagoon, or anywhere else?