Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Few Hours In London

• Site Supporter

Reet, the missus and I are going watching the Olympics on Friday and we get there just after lunchtime so have a few hours to kill before we check into the hotel (Swiss Cottage) So, to those of you who know/live London, were do we go for a few drinkies and maybe a bite to eat in the meantime?

I was thinking tube from Euston to Waterloo and mooch round the area near Westminster/London Eye as it is on the Jubilee line back to Swiss Cottage but I know fuck all about London really so any ideas folks?

Reet, the missus and I are going watching the Olympics on Friday and we get there just after lunchtime so have a few hours to kill before we check into the hotel (Swiss Cottage) So, to those of you who know/live London, were do we go for a few drinkies and maybe a bite to eat in the meantime?

I was thinking tube from Euston to Waterloo and mooch round the area near Westminster/London Eye as it is on the Jubilee line back to Swiss Cottage but I know fuck all about London really so any ideas folks?

Iv only been here 2 year and never been out of East London.

Others will tell you different im sure but I love London Bridge and Borough Market. Its also on the Jubilee line.

EG, whiteboy and EX Midland white will probably be able to tell you somewhere better.

At Euston there is a cracking real ale pub called the Brie Louise that also has lots of wines etc. Come out of the main doors, turn right through the outdoor food court bit, right again and you will see the Ibis. The pub is off the next side street, 2 mins walk max.

Anyway, here is what I'd do for a couple of hours.....

At Waterloo there is nowt but junkies so walk over Westminster Bridge to see the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, then turn right up Whitehall to go to Trafalgar Square past Downing Street, The Foreign Office buildings, The War Memorial and Horsegaurds. At TS, piss in the fountain then turn left and go down The Mall towards Buckingham Palace, past St James Park and various Royal Palaces etc, then back up towards Westminster via Birdcage Walk.

Go over the bridge to London Eye (you'll queue for a fortnight but its good).

It's maybe a 2 mile round trip walk and you will see most of the tourist bits with a few decent pubs along the way particulalry along Whitehall.

Iv only been here 2 year and never been out of East London.

Others will tell you different im sure but I love London Bridge and Borough Market. Its also on the Jubilee line.

EG, whiteboy and EX Midland white will probably be able to tell you somewhere better.

never knew London Bridge was in East London :blum:

What Smiffs said is a pretty good set of sights for when with the missus.

One thing to bear in mind is the beach volleyball is on at horseguards pretty much in the middle of all that.

Though from st James park (great view of buckingham palace on the bridge in the park) id cross over the mall, where the finish to the road race is/was and carry on into green park and walk through and catch jubillee line from there. Its not been to bad getting on there the last week.

From your Swiss Cottage hotel id recommend taking a mooch down to primrose hill c10 min walk and maybe then wander into regents park and town from there if get a chance.

If your after food / drink id second Garrp's comment about London Bridge and Borough Market, loads of pubs knocking about within a short walk of the tube stop. Impressive views of the shard too if your into that sort of thing.

Thanks for the ideas all - I think a mooch around the Westminster/Trafalgar/St James/Green Park will set us up fine for the couple of hours or so we have before check in. Going to be a busy old weekend!

Tourist Wanker :thumbsup:

Anyway, here is what I'd do for a couple of hours.....

At Waterloo there is nowt but junkies so walk over Westminster Bridge to see the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, then turn right up Whitehall to go to Trafalgar Square past Downing Street, The Foreign Office buildings, The War Memorial and Horsegaurds. At TS, piss in the fountain then turn left and go down The Mall towards Buckingham Palace, past St James Park and various Royal Palaces etc, then back up towards Westminster via Birdcage Walk.

After pissing in the fountain at Trafalgar Square, it's well worth calling in the National Gallery. It's free, which means you can have a quick look round but don't feel as if you've got to stay in for ages to get your moneys' worth

And gran will be on soon telling us all how good SW is!

Oh, I am so predictable, but SW is best. If you end up near Charring Cross, Gordon's Wine Bar is the place, if you like cheese & wine, then a walk across Hungerford Bridge gives you a fantastic view of London over the Thames.

I would recommend the Thames Clippers. It's a commuter boat that takes the same route as the tourist boats from the London Eye through to the O2 (under tower bridge, past Canary warf etc etc) at a fraction of the price (about £4 if you have a day travel card.) You also don't have to put up with some wanky tour guide. There is a bar onboard and an open deck at the back so you can take in the sights with a beer. Takes about 45 minutes.

It's well worth it, and you're only a couple of stops from the Olympic park on the Jubilee line if you get off at the 02.

http://www.thamesclippers.com/

I would recommend the Thames Clippers. It's a commuter boat that takes the same route as the tourist boats from the London Eye through to the O2 (under tower bridge, past Canary warf etc etc) at a fraction of the price (about £4 if you have a day travel card.) You also don't have to put up with some wanky tour guide. There is a bar onboard and an open deck at the back so you can take in the sights with a beer. Takes about 45 minutes.

It's well worth it, and you're only a couple of stops from the Olympic park on the Jubilee line if you get off at the 02.

http://www.thamesclippers.com/

Now that does appeal to me. I shall have a do on that, when I'm down for the athletics.