Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New Balls, Please

gonzo

Has Konta broken into the top 10 yet?  -  I've always been pretty impressed when I've watched her, and thought that she could challenge for honours, especially as Williams is now hopefully on the wain.

Also, as an aside, what's happened with Laura Robson, is she finished now?

Yes (at 10 before this latest tournament).

LR says she lost confidence just before she stepped on the court yesterday, recalling that after her last match there she was out for 18 months.

37 unforced errors in 116 points indicates how poorly she played in a first round qualifier.

Also, as an aside, what's happened with Laura Robson, is she finished now?

I think Konta is up to 9 after this tournament. She got to the semis of the Aus Open last year so has a lot of points to defend, and has about the worst draw she could have got.

Robson has said she'll be seeing a psychologist, one who worked with Murray in the past. Who knows, it might work. It has worked very well for Konta who's achieved a lot more than I thought she would, after sorting her head out.

You won't need me to tell you that the Aussies have claimed the Konta.

"Sydney born Konta wins" scream the headlines. Factual but misleading.

She's not really British though is she, Hungarian parents, born in Sydney. I think she only moved to England when she wss about 15 years old, and isn't it only in the last few years that she's actually become a British citizen?

Still, while she's winning we may as well claim her. She can go back to being what she really is when she turns shit

• Members

Not really bothered what she really is. 

More the eagerness of Aussies to adopt winners - a couple of previous examples being Phar Lap and Crowded House.

Still, I did have fun when I first arrived regarding AC/DC. "Three Scots and a Yank" used to have the Aussies hopping. Raging indignance.

Edited by bolty58

She's not really British though is she, Hungarian parents, born in Sydney. I think she only moved to England when she wss about 15 years old, and isn't it only in the last few years that she's actually become a British citizen?

Still, while she's winning we may as well claim her. She can go back to being what she really is when she turns shit

Laura Robson was born in Melbourne. JSL

I know Konta's background isn't that convincing in terms of Britness. However if you hear her speak and see her mannerisms, she does appear very British, to me anyway. Certainly more convincing than say Lennox Lewis or Greg Rusedski.

Isn't it getting a very tiresome discussion this though. With freer movement of people this is going to get more common. People's nationalities are becoming more plural.

Plus I'd give Konta one too.