Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New Balls, Please

gonzo

• Members

The man who hated Britain.

It was probably a bit profound for you son. Not aimed at you nor Andy Murray for that matter.

All will become clear in the fullness of time.

Now, jog on and get back to conversing with yourself. There's a good lad.

Absolutely breathtaking achievement for Federer. I am a Rafa fan but you have got to hand it to RF. Both of them are all time greats of the game, I hope they can meet again in the French Open.

I think they are the best 2 players in the history of the sport.If Rafa had won today there'd be a strong case for putting him above Roger but it wasn't to be. I'll be rooting for Rafa to win another French

Rafa does my head in.

Area picking, time wasting, interview slumping moper.

I'm fascinated by his many "ticks"....even though it drives me mad when I'm watching him. It takes forever to do anything

The one that irritates me most is him having to cross lines with his right foot first, when he's getting up from his chair

I'd also like to go and kick his bottles over, as he's hate that. The weirdo.

He has been a cracking player over the years tough

I think they are the best 2 players in the history of the sport.If Rafa had won today there'd be a strong case for putting him above Roger but it wasn't to be. I'll be rooting for Rafa to win another French

Maybe you are unaware of Rod Laver? His Grand Slams were 7 years apart because he turned professional aged 24 and was thus barred for 5 years from the slams, which were still amateur until 1968. As he won most of the majors in the 2 years before, and the 2 years after, his exclusion it is reasonable to suppose he would have won plenty in the missing years - he did after all win the majority of the top professional tournaments in that period.

Maybe you are unaware of Rod Laver? His Grand Slams were 7 years apart because he turned professional aged 24 and was thus barred for 5 years from the slams, which were still amateur until 1968. As he won most of the majors in the 2 years before, and the 2 years after, his exclusion it is reasonable to suppose he would have won plenty in the missing years - he did after all win the majority of the top professional tournaments in that period.

He made some nice white pumps too

• Moderators

Malc, a few years back we argued over perry and murray

My view is that murray is miles better than perry ever was

The best fred perry wouldn't get a game off murray

Similarly, laver couldn't live with today's top players

Possibly, Laver born now would have better equipment and be pushed to greater levels but on how he was, not in the same league

Fair play , I knew Rod Laver had won 11 but didn't know of the 5 year gap. Rafa would have emulated Laver's feat of winning all the Grand Slams at least twice if he'd won yesterday, and in Rafa's case he was competing with the all time great Federer all his career.

And if there was no Nadal im sure Federer would have won at least 4 or 5 rather than 1 French

Where would you rank Laver, Federer and Nadal in order of greatness?

Federer in his heyday won both Wimbledon and the US Open five times on the bounce  and with all his other achievements i think that makes him NO 1