Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Miner's Documentary Last Night

Smiley

Was a good watch. Not as much violence and battling in it as I hoped, but told some good stories from most angles. Wives, miners, scabs, politicians, etc.

Made me think - at what point do you become a scab?

Kids with no food. Bailiffs trying to repossess stuff. No holidays or days out. No heating in your house. etc. Can see why some went over the picket line at the time.

• Members

Was a good watch. Not as much violence and battling in it as I hoped, but told some good stories from most angles. Wives, miners, scabs, politicians, etc.

Made me think - at what point do you become a scab?

Kids with no food. Bailiffs trying to repossess stuff. No holidays or days out. No heating in your house. etc. Can see why some went over the picket line at the time.

Saw a bit of this.  Cases where fathers/sons/brothers/best friends never spoke to one another ever again due to one of them being a scab.

Saw a bit of this.  Cases where fathers/sons/brothers/best friends never spoke to one another ever again due to one of them being a scab.

That guy had a good point though. He said there was no ballot. Just a raise of hands… and the majority voted to stay in work. Next day they were out and it was against what he and the majority had voted.

His dad hasn't spoken to him in 30 years. And said the only time he'd ever speak to him again was on his death bed - to call him a scab.

Edited by Smiley

Was quite a good watch with views from different perspectives rather than one sided. 

At the time I had a mate who was a copper coining it with his overtime and mother and father in law making up food parcels to deliver to the supporters.

Two women near the end, one of them said something along the lines of 'We said if we stood united we wouldn't be defeated, and we weren't', I think there'd be a few miners who disagreed with her.

Showed how deep feelings ran then, and now.

• Moderators

one of my favourite films is brassed off

even as a fella who supported the govt, its a cracking watch and gets you thinking

the effect on lives is pretty graphically demonstrated

if anybody is interested, the octagon are putting it on soon

last year worked in a village NETHER LANGWITH 1/2 was in youkshire 1/2 was in notts

fuck me 1/2 the village still hate the other 1/2 now

last year worked in a village NETHER LANGWITH 1/2 was in youkshire 1/2 was in notts

fuck me 1/2 the village still hate the other 1/2 now

Spelling - GOOD(ish)

Geography - WEAK - it's on the Deryshire/Notts, 5 miles south of the Yorkshire border.

I have worked in Shirebrook and from what I gathered there'd been bother there regarding families. The women appeared to not want anything to do with ongoing feuds though and had got on with lives. Who'd have thought it, women having more common sense.

If it'd been a family member calling me a scab I can't see it bothering me they never spoke to me again.

even as a fella who supported the govt, its a cracking watch and gets you thinking

Superb film with the brilliant Pete Postlethwaite.

Saw it was on at the Octagon.

That guy had a good point though. He said there was no ballot. Just a raise of hands… and the majority voted to stay in work. Next day they were out and it was against what he and the majority had voted.

His dad hasn't spoken to him in 30 years. And said the only time he'd ever speak to him again was on his death bed - to call him a scab.

obviously not seen it, but what a fucking cock

Been away so missed it but just watched n I-player.

Close to home 4 me, born in rotherham.

When we visited our relatives during that period it was devastating effect on the neighbourhood.

Nice houses with garages and SCAB sprayed on one or 2.

Never forget it.

• Moderators

When we visited our relatives during that period it was devastating effect on the neighbourhood.

indeed it was

spent a bit of time driving thru the welsh valleys recently

obviously hammered the area

doesnt mean i think it justifies propping up an uneconomic industry

like steel before it

indeed it was

spent a bit of time driving thru the welsh valleys recently

obviously hammered the area

doesnt mean i think it justifies propping up an uneconomic industry

like steel before it

history proves your point

I've no idea on this but does anyone know if financially it costs less to support an area with a mine or an area with mass unemployment, social deprivation and everything that comes with it. Just wondered how the economics worked out?

I would imagine;

Short term; ok to keep open and support

Long term; destroys individuals, communities and the country

Wouldn't know about economics of propping up the mines but as a comparison almost £1b of taxpayers money was put into supporting one car manufacturer, British Leyland, before the plug was pulled. That was in the '70s early '80s.

Ironically the BL management seconded to korea to assist their emerging car market were incredibly successful.

What they should have done was give huge tax breaks to companies setting up in the area. i.e car factories etc

The pits should have been kept open until they were other jobs for folk to go to.

It never got around to that because of the strike

What they should have done was give huge tax breaks to companies setting up in the area. i.e car factories etc

The pits should have been kept open until they were other jobs for folk to go to.

It never got around to that because of the strike

I know someone who was given an enormous tax break to move his business to one of those areas.  He couldn't get many local blokes to work there so ended up with shit loads of Poles. The business was then on a tv documentary with loads of locals looking glum at the local shopping arcade saying the Poles took their jobs.

True story.

history proves your point

I thought this also until i went back to college and did some research for an environmental assignment on energy. For the last 2 years in the UK there has been more electricity generated from coal fired power stations than from natural gas and coal now accounts for over 40% of electricity generated in this country. Do you know where  90% of this coal comes from? Russia, Columbia, USA and Australia in that order.

The reason for the switch back to coal is that since the US started fracking and using gas to generate more electricity the price has fallen below that of gas, however the calorific value of this imported coal is far inferior to the high quality coal that lies still lies beneath out feet here in blighty, the imported coal also contains far more impurities and will emit far more NOx and SO2 that UK coal would. To top it all off we have over 250 years of the stuff still there.

Yet Cameron and his chums see fit to subsidise the French to build several nuclear power stations and whats more "guarantee them" the price we will pay for the power they will generate in 20 years time. Absolute lunacy.

I thought this also until i went back to college and did some research for an environmental assignment on energy. For the last 2 years in the UK there has been more electricity generated from coal fired power stations than from natural gas and coal now accounts for over 40% of electricity generated in this country. Do you know where  90% of this coal comes from? Russia, Columbia, USA and Australia in that order.

The reason for the switch back to coal is that since the US started fracking and using gas to generate more electricity the price has fallen below that of gas, however the calorific value of this imported coal is far inferior to the high quality coal that lies still lies beneath out feet here in blighty, the imported coal also contains far more impurities and will emit far more NOx and SO2 that UK coal would. To top it all off we have over 250 years of the stuff still there.

Yet Cameron and his chums see fit to subsidise the French to build several nuclear power stations and whats more "guarantee them" the price we will pay for the power they will generate in 20 years time. Absolute lunacy.

Yes, I agree it is crazy, However it is cheaper to import Coal from the other side of the world than it is to mine it here.

I've no idea on this but does anyone know if financially it costs less to support an area with a mine or an area with mass unemployment, social deprivation and everything that comes with it. Just wondered how the economics worked out?

I know of plenty who set up on their own with their large redundancies.

Others pissed it up the wall and spent 30 years moaning about it

I played on the soundtrack to that. Jsl