Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Islamic State

Underpants

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Russia is pushing the line that there is no Free Syrian Army any more and that they are all in league with whatever the latest term for those black flag mongalongs is these days. The Russian excuse for bombing the fuck out of them.

Clearly a manufactured precedent for attacking any of the enemies of their ally, Bashar al Assad.

Can't say that I am really concerned. Various Islamic forces 'fighting for freedom' have been aided by the West in the past and it invariably comes back to bite us.

If ISIS, ISIL, Daesh death cult or whatever the fuck we are supposed to call them these days is completely obliterated, this can only be a good thing.

• Site Supporter

I think it was Threads, the film about nuclear war said it'll start over the Middle East..........................

Putin has increased his sabre rattling with cruise missiles, and NATO supposedly looking at increasing troop levels in the Baltic states (BBC).

Perhaps BD would know if there's any unrest in the financial sector.

The Rusky is as mad as a fish, but hoping he's just flexing his muscles

Perhaps BD would know if there's any unrest in the financial sector.

Market generally back on the way up.

Must be factored into the price.

I have some money in a Russia fund, which seems to refuse to rise.

• Moderators

proper fcuk up this

amusing in the whole sorry mess is the squirming of the british left

argued against any military involvement in syria

now we've got the ruskies propping up assad and labour mps speaking out in favour of getting involved

fella i heard was asked about voting against corbyn

'hes voted against the whip 500 times, ill do what i want'

Best left to the Russians to sort out. USA are bloody annoyed that the Russians have taken over their busy body role.

Lets get real, the non ISIL opposition if not in Germany are all on their way there. Once Russia and Assad wipe out the last odd Toyota pick up truck it will be the turn of ISIL, much to the chagrin of Johnny Turk and the USA. Turkish are backing ISIL on the QT because they hate the Kurds and are of the same Mussie type as the Saudis.

Market generally back on the way up.

Must be factored into the price.

I have some money in a Russia fund, which seems to refuse to rise.

Reading some commentary overnight, Russian stocks are cheap and a one way bet for when Putin wipes them

Fill yer boots, if you have the bottle

Reading some commentary overnight, Russian stocks are cheap and a one way bet for when Putin wipes them

Most Russian funds fell 40% a couple of years ago and their whole economy is too dependent on oil, it's balls of steel stuff.

President Obama and the United States are tired of war. After 14 years of meddling in the Middle East, accomplishing nothing, and spending a trillion dollars, the action plan seems to be talk a lot and carry a wee branch.

Into this vacuum has stepped Vladimir Putin. You know he has a plan even though we aren’t sure what it is yet.

We do know it will tweak the nose of NATO. It will establish Russia as a player in the Middle East, make a fool of Obama, and lastly — though I'm not sure how exactly — it will ramp up the price of crude oil.

Mike Whitney at Counterpunch.com writes:

The reason Putin will succeed where the US failed in its war on ISIS, is because the Russian air-strikes are going to be accompanied by a formidable mop-up operation that will overpower the jihadi groups on the ground. This is already happening as we speak. The Russian Air Force has been pounding terrorist targets across the Idlib Governorate for the last few days as well as ISIS strongholds in the East at Raffa.  On Sunday, according to a report filed by South Front,  roughly 700 militants surrendered to members of the 147th Syrian tank brigade shortly after bombers had attacked nearly cities of Mardeij, Ma’arat Al-Nu’man, Jisr Al-Shughour, Saraqib and Sarmeen. This is the pattern we expect to see in the weeks ahead. Russian bombers will soften targets on the frontlines, ground troops will move into position, and untold numbers of jihadis will either flee, surrender or get cut down where they stand. Bottom line: Syria is not going to be a quagmire as the media has predicted.  To the contrary, Putin is going to cut through these guys like crap through a goose...

He’s going to nail these guys while he has them in his gun-sights, then he’s going to wrap it up and go home. By the time the Obama crew get’s its act together and realizes that they have to stop the bombing pronto or their whole regime change operation is going to go up in smoke, Putin’s going to be blowing kisses from atop a float ambling through Red Square in Moscow’s first tickertape parade since the end of WW2.

In other words, Putin has a plan, and it is going to work. The question is how to play it.

I've been buying Russian companies for about six months now, as they are incredibly cheap, the rubble has stabilized, and the charts are bullish

proper fcuk up this

amusing in the whole sorry mess is the squirming of the british left

argued against any military involvement in syria

now we've got the ruskies propping up assad and labour mps speaking out in favour of getting involved

fella i heard was asked about voting against corbyn

'hes voted against the whip 500 times, ill do what i want'

Yeah, but these 'Syrian' migrants arent running to Russia.

Yeah, but these 'Syrian' migrants arent running to Russia.

And neither will Assad. He's nailed on for London because:

1 - it's where his wife is from (although Syrian),

2 - it's where he was working before his elder brother was killed in a car crash and he was recalled,

3 - we need all the medical doctors we can get, and

4 - he can afford to buy a house there.

Edited by MalcolmW

And neither will Assad. He's nailed on for London because:

1 - it's where his wife is from (although Syrian),

2 - it's where he was working before his elder brother was killed in a car crash and he was recalled,

3 - we need all the medical doctors we can get, and

4 - he can afford to buy a house there.

With the UK tax payer picking up the bill for his security.