Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

9 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He'll always revert to conservative, dull, boring stuff when the chips are down. Too loyal to faded talent.

In the end he'll never quite make it, despite the talent available to him.

Weve had better crops of talent in the past and succeeded less.

Not many of this current crop touch the golden generation team.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Get rid and drain the FA swamp whilst you are at it.

Did you watch the U21’s Saturday? 

The grassroots standard of football in this country is in good health.

And as for the men’s team, it’s the best set-up I’ve known in my lifetime. (80s onwards)

Those two wins are the perfect response by Southgate and the players to any doubters after the World Cup.

Some are now judging Southgate’s success on whether he wins a major trophy. Personally I don’t, because I don’t think 1 home win in 66 translates to us holding a position as superior to the rest of the world.

However, I understand why others judge differently. And I think Southgate knows this is his next goal, I think that’s why he’s back for another go.

You were telling us how good Tite was throughout December, well that didn’t work out too well did it? For him or Brazil.

Brazil are back to the drawing board, starting again. I think we are slowly building, nurturing, getting these young lads expressing themselves without fear in what could be a pressurised situation. Southgate continues to bring the best out of his squad, some players play better for England than they do for their clubs - a complete reversal from years gone by.

Far more to be positive than negative about.

Edited by desperado

The emergence of Bellingham and Saka as potentially world class to support Kane has changed the potential massively, but to balance that you have to also remember in last 2 games Shaw, Philips, Henderson and Maguire have featured. 

Can Foden make next step ? Had a very quiet few months. Rice needs to play Champions League to develop, but a starting 11 that includes Bellingham, Saka, Kane, Rice and Foden is promising. 

Keeper never let us down but seems small ! Walker and Stones fine , so we have 8 out of 11 and good support

Rashford to add but already have good front 3 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

The emergence of Bellingham and Saka as potentially world class to support Kane has changed the potential massively, but to balance that you have to also remember in last 2 games Shaw, Philips, Henderson and Maguire have featured. 

Can Foden make next step ? Had a very quiet few months. Rice needs to play Champions League to develop, but a starting 11 that includes Bellingham, Saka, Kane, Rice and Foden is promising. 

Keeper never let us down but seems small ! Walker and Stones fine , so we have 8 out of 11 and good support

Rashford to add but already have good front 3 

And I don’t like Southgate’s moan about not enough players. Simply; if they are good enough for the Prem, then they’re in contention, if they are good enough for regular Champions League, then they are international class.

Can't think of a team since '66 where England haven't flattered to deceive.

Thought we had a good chance of winning the WC in Mexico until Bobby Moore was arrested for allegedly nicking jewellery and thousands of fans camped outside the England hotel banging drums every night to prevent them from sleeping - and even then we only lost AET to Germany by the odd goal and had one ruled out due to Franny Lee dubiously being given offside.

'82 with Hoddle, Wilkins, Keegan, Brooking and Robson - great players, shit WC despite stuffing the French.

I have no complaints about Southgate's tenure. Sure I'd have changed a few things, but bar winning it he has a fantastic record and I don't think the current players are any better than those available for previous squads for the most part so a lot of that success has to come down to the manager and the culture he has created.

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

Have I missed Toney being found not guilty of betting offences?

I like Ian Toney, I wish him well, but on 1 March he pleaded guilty to the bulk of the 262 illegal betting charges charges he'd been accused of.

A considerable ban was anticipated, but since then f'call news.

So St. Gareth picks him. How does that fit with his deep moral stances ?

No longer 'innocent until proven guilty'. Certainly no 'silly, one off, out of character' action.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Odd to select him for his debut in the window between pleading guilty on numerous charges & the outcome being announced.

Deliberately contentious I'd say.

Meh, I don't care tbh. Has Southgate not covered it in his pre or post match chats?

10 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Meh, I don't care tbh. Has Southgate not covered it in his pre or post match chats?

He has. But thats far too easy to ignore and pretend its something else to outraged about.

Theres plenty of misdemeanours amongst the current England sqaud.

9 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Can't think of a team since '66 where England haven't flattered to deceive.

Thought we had a good chance of winning the WC in Mexico until Bobby Moore was arrested for allegedly nicking jewellery and thousands of fans camped outside the England hotel banging drums every night to prevent them from sleeping - and even then we only lost AET to Germany by the odd goal and had one ruled out due to Franny Lee dubiously being given offside.

'82 with Hoddle, Wilkins, Keegan, Brooking and Robson - great players, shit WC despite stuffing the French.

I have no complaints about Southgate's tenure. Sure I'd have changed a few things, but bar winning it he has a fantastic record and I don't think the current players are any better than those available for previous squads for the most part so a lot of that success has to come down to the manager and the culture he has created.

England are the Spurs of international football, very good side but come up short when it matters most. Always going to be up there with the best but always lack the extra class/luck to win anything.

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

England are the Spurs of international football

They might well be, but that’s not Southgate’s fault who has done consistently better than…. well…. anyone!!

34 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Was going to post exactly the same. 

Hypocrit.

So he’s damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t?

Can’t win can he.

How do we know there’s not more elements at play here? 

What seemingly might be at first viewed as hypocritical, might simply just be a case of him reacting honestly in the best interests of the team/squad.

Again, as seems to be the case with some when it comes to Southgate, the default position is find criticism with him.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, desperado said:

They might well be, but that’s not Southgate’s fault who has done consistently better than…. well…. anyone!!

So he’s damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t?

Can’t win can he.

How do we know there’s not more elements at play here? 

What seemingly might be at first viewed as hypocritical, might simply just be a case of him reacting honestly in the best interests of the team/squad.

Again, as seems to be the case with some when it comes to Southgate, the default position is find criticism with him.

Didnt take him to the world cup though, so what has changed since, apart from a guilty plea perhaps?

No one believed Southgate's reasons at the time.

If something has materially changed, then say so and move on.

I'm a supporter of his, but it does seem hypocritical on the face of it.