Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Again, as seems to be the case with some when it comes to Southgate, the default position is find criticism with him.

GS has to be one of the most characterless Managers in World football.

IMO he’s the FA’ s puppet & uses the national team as a political vehicle.

Given his “achievements” his is still relatively unpopular within the fan base too.

I would agree however that based on results in major competitions we are generally improving as a team.

Edited by captainmed

• Moderators
2 hours ago, L/H White said:

Rooney levels above who never got passed a 1/4 and only has one world cup goal

Kane, 1/4, semi & final and a golden boot to his name 

Put the pipe down Joey 

Aye 

Club level Rooney > Kane 

England Kane > Rooney 

I doubt there's any high ranking international goal scorer who gets most of their goals against the top teams 

10 of Nats 30 goals came against home nations

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Didnt take him to the world cup though, so what has changed since, apart from a guilty plea perhaps?

No one believed Southgate's reasons at the time.

If something has materially changed, then say so and move on.

I'm a supporter of his, but it does seem hypocritical on the face of it.

To answer your question, as I pointed out in my previous post, I suspect we don’t know the whole story and might not get to find out anytime soon. We are not privy and nor should we be to what is happening behind the scenes.

Managers/Owners are faced with all kinds of balanced decisions, due to a whole range of physical, personal, social and in some cases criminal considerations. We only have to look at ourselves. Dempsey, Jones, John and Evatt himself have definitely/probably had some of the said issues above in play this season - we’ve questioned it but we don’t know the full story.

Personally I don’t feel the need to question/criticise Southgate. I’m happy to accept the inclusion of Toney on this occasion was a football one based on the opposition we were playing and his form for Brentford.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, captainmed said:

Given his “achievements” his is still relatively unpopular within the fan base too.

I would agree however that based on results in major competitions we are generally improving as a team.

Fair enough

I disagree on first 3 points, but that’s what this forum is for.

And your last point goes some way in explaining why I think he’s doing a decent job.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, captainmed said:

Fuck me.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, desperado said:

To answer your question, as I pointed out in my previous post, I suspect we don’t know the whole story and might not get to find out anytime soon. We are not privy and nor should we be to what is happening behind the scenes.

Managers/Owners are faced with all kinds of balanced decisions, due to a whole range of physical, personal, social and in some cases criminal considerations. We only have to look at ourselves. Dempsey, Jones, John and Evatt himself have definitely/probably had some of the said issues above in play this season - we’ve questioned it but we don’t know the full story.

Personally I don’t feel the need to question/criticise Southgate. I’m happy to accept the inclusion of Toney on this occasion was a football one based on the opposition we were playing and his form for Brentford.

You'll go down well at the FA.

I'm not questioning Southgate's footballing decisions, however Toney has been playing well and scoring all season. 

Not for one minute do I believe, nor I suspect many believe, that Toney was omitted from the world cup squad for footballing reasons though.

The FA should have protected Southgate, and taken the awkwardness of the situation out of his hands, and announced that he wasn't being picked pending investigations.

Having not done so, it now leaves the manager open to accusations of hypocrisy.

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm not questioning Southgate's footballing decisions

That’s the key bit as far as I’m concerned. And its a point we seem to agree upon. 👍

The rest, for the likes of you and me on a L1 football forum, is all just guesswork and conjecture. 

5 hours ago, captainmed said:

Aye. He spends countless weekends watching games and travels all over the world for games and tournaments. Taking on an intense full-time job, just so he can make a ‘political’ point every few years or so. Get a grip, ffs 😂

he’s a football lad through and through. All he was doing was standing up for his players. Criticise his tactics all you want, I’d probably agree, but let’s put the tinfoil hat down on all this puppet bollocks x