Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Working Week

Sweep

I think this may have been done before.....but what does everybody have as a standard working week?

My hours are 08:30 to 17:00 with an hour for dinner, we knock off at 16:00 on a Friday so total contracted hours is currently 36.5 hours. Other than when I'm travelling, I rarely work anymore hours than that.

I went to a company today, and their standard working hours are 08:00 to 17:00 (knock off at 16:00 on a Friday)  -  is it me, or does that sound like something horrific from Dickensian times?  -  with it being a 39 hour week. Do people still work that amount of hours?

Other than teachers, who only work about 25 hours per week, what's the average contracted hours these days, and do people actually work over and above what they're paid to do?

Edited by Sweep

35, flexi between 7am-6pm. Latest start 10, earliest finish 4... Unless you ask nicely. Min 30 min lunch if working more than six hours... Max 2 hours; again, unless you ask nicely. I have a 20 min commute each way, plus a 30 min walk if choose to- via either park or pub

I do about 16hrs a week with about half of it being on Sundays.

I got a rollicking off the boss last migjt as she took the little un out yesterday so I could lug some stock around with out mither.I did about an hour then played on my xbox. It meant I had to get up early today and do it. Before dropping off 30 parcels at the co-op

I've always been shit at managing my time. Being self employed usually helps this by knowing if I don't do the work I don't have money to spend.

I get to do bang on 37.5 because I'm a student. Most of the qualified nurses put at least an extra hour in each shift in either lost breaks or unpaid overtime so I'd guess they're doing about 42. A lot have to do an extra shift as well so they'll be getting on for about 54/55. That's where I'll reckon I'll be in about 12 months anyway.

35, flexi between 7am-6pm. Latest start 10, earliest finish 4... Unless you ask nicely. Min 30 min lunch if working more than six hours... Max 2 hours; again, unless you ask nicely. I have a 20 min commute each way, plus a 30 min walk if choose to- via either park or pub

Council flexi time was both brilliant and horrible at the same time. Especially when I had jobs on the Bury side of bolton.

Finish my rounds at about half 3, do I go back in to bolton or do I go home from site.

A fair few times i was doing a full week of 12hr days to make the time up.

A 'full day' could be rolling in at 11:30 then a half hour dinner at 12 and going home at 1.

You'd have to find the time back in the rest of the month.

Edited by frank_spencer

Council flexi time was both brilliant and horrible at the same time. Especially when I had jobs on the Bury side of bolton.

Finish my rounds at about half 3, do I go back in to bolton or do I go home from site.

A fair few times i was doing a full week of 12hr days to make the time up.

A 'full day' could be rolling in at 11:30 then a half hour dinner at 12 and going home at 1.

You'd have to find the time back in the rest of the month.

great for me as i drop the kids at school. Ive no pressure either; no stress, mither or haunting images. I take nothing home with me, and I'm the happiest, most content ive ever been. I sometimes think i should push myself for a greater title/salary, and wonder whether i made the right decision in not pursuing new opportunities... But no regrets so far.

• Site Supporter

Malcolm, I've been wondering about this. Before one retires/gives up work do you plan how you fill your days?

I'm already on this.

I love bowling, crown green not 10 pin.  I'd look odd as fuck rocking up there as a fat 37 year old and asking if I can join in.

I'll be fine as a retired bloke though.

Being ill I've spent all day watching television, sommat I rarely do, including about four or five episodes of 'Three In A Bed' - as a result I'm close to going sticking my head in the oven, I'm also paranoid I've now got DVT with all the inactivity...

I'd probably spend my days going shoplifting when I was an owd retired geezer...

Or doing modest amounts of Ecstasy, or both...

Edited by Youri McAnespie