Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheff Utd 2-0 Wanderers

burnden

Question to visiting blade, have you lot ever been in a better position at this stage of the season, during the last 6 years to get yourselves up?

Do you think you could bottle it?

In our first season down here, whilst we were second, we were however 5 points clear of third with 2 games in hand and only 9/10 games left of the season.

Nothing is ever straight forward with SUFC. Not one fan is confident, we cant be until we're mathematically assured of promotion, anxious excitement is about all we can muster.

In our first season down here, whilst we were second, we were however 5 points clear of third with 2 games in hand and only 9/10 games left of the season.

Nothing is ever straight forward with SUFC. Not one fan is confident, we cant be until we're mathematically assured of promotion, anxious excitement is about all we can muster.

What has gone wrong?

The two Nigels seemed good appointments at the time and probably a bigger budget than most

Have there been behind the scenes disruption?

What has gone wrong?

The two Nigels seemed good appointments at the time and probably a bigger budget than most

Have there been behind the scenes disruption?

Stability.

Clubs who get promoted, clubs who yo-yo between divisions, all have a degree of stability.

We've not had it - trimming wage bills, selling players, changing managers, changing managers with different philosophies - doesn't provide any foundations on which to be successful.

CW has come in and addressed all that. We have a board who we barely hear from now, we have a unified playing squad, a proper wage structure, CW is allowed to pull all the strings - you get the feeling the tea lady wouldn't be able to change the brand of biscuits without his approval.

We finally have solid foundations, stability and structure. All down to CW.

Ps. Nigel Adkins just turned out to be an awful manager.

Stability.

Clubs who get promoted, clubs who yo-yo between divisions, all have a degree of stability.

We've not had it - trimming wage bills, selling players, changing managers, changing managers with different philosophies - doesn't provide any foundations on which to be successful.

CW has come in and addressed all that. We have a board who we barely hear from now, we have a unified playing squad, a proper wage structure, CW is allowed to pull all the strings - you get the feeling the tea lady wouldn't be able to change the brand of biscuits without his approval.

with what you've seen so far this season who do you think will go up i. e top 2 and play offs? Personally I think you'll win the league we finish 2nd and Bradford win play offs

with what you've seen so far this season who do you think will go up i. e top 2 and play offs? Personally I think you'll win the league we finish 2nd and Bradford win play offs

I've not been to many away games this season - so haven't seen you lot or Bradford first hand yet.

However, our performances have been top drawer - and we are getting stronger. I know we only drew with Scunthorpe but we looked on a different level. 

What I will predict is that Scunthorpe will not make the top two, and wont get through the POs. They look like a side that has been sussed out, and there was no confidence there.

The POs are a complete lottery - the form team going into them usually does the business, regardless of finishing position. 

You lot seem to have a bit of a knack of grinding out results, and in this division at this stage will put you in good stead. 

I anxiously believe this may be our year - whether 2nd or Champions. Don't care who joins us in all honesty, after 6 years here you'd feel the same!

Stability.

The bit about not hearing from the board is a positive. That's the way I see it too but the board then gets told they've got no communication and petty squabbles in via the press and websites seem to be viewed as a positive!

• Moderators

in an ideal world, i agree with you

we dont need to know whats going on

but when you have a supporters group seemingly hell bent on disruption, whats the alternative

i suspect KA would be much happier concentrating on the day job

Average? Based on what?

Based on the fact that you are in League 1.

Based on the fact that you've been there for 6 years.

Based on the fact that we've beaten you twice already this season.

Well supported yes, but average too.

I would also add that the pressure your support puts on the players is counter-productive.

You don't believe you should be at this level but you are.....

Edited by captainmed

Based on the fact that you are in League 1.

Based on the fact that you've been there for 6 years.

Based on the fact that we've beaten you twice already this season.

Well supported yes, but average too.

I would also add that the pressure your support puts on the players is counter-productive.

You don't believe you should be at this level but you are.....

The level your playing at doesn't restrict the level of performance. An average side doesn't find themselves top of the league in March.

You guys really do place emphasis on beating us twice this season don't you? First game of season, new team and our reserves in the cup.

The level your playing at doesn't restrict the level of performance. An average side doesn't find themselves top of the league in March.

You guys really do place emphasis on beating us twice this season don't you? First game of season, new team and our reserves in the cup.

You're fans mentality is similar to Brum and City fans as an example.

The smaller of two teams in the same town.

Edited by captainmed

I also think Sheffield United fans forget that, we won 1-0 first game, with 10 men for 10/20 minutes.

As Pratley went off injured and we had no subs.

2nd game, we were dominant, should have been more than 3-2, and you scored 2 deflected goals.

Either way, it's 2 matches, 2 wins for wanderers, end of.

I also think Sheffield United fans forget that, we won 1-0 first game, with 10 men for 10/20 minutes.

As Pratley went off injured and we had no subs.

2nd game, we were dominant, should have been more than 3-2, and you scored 2 deflected goals.

Either way, it's 2 matches, 2 wins for wanderers, end of.

That cup game again, we had a youth team keeper in net.

Top of the league, score for fun, leagues top scorer, I look forward to tomorrow.

Nope, I think most of us recognise that you have improved since those games & that we have some problems by losing 5 first choice players since the end of the year.

On the other hand, we have a very bright manager, a group of players who have got some fight about them as shown by coming back from 2 down last week & you have recently lost at home to Fleetwood, drawn at home to Scunts & drawn at Bristol.....all games that we won ( not to mention the pasting you got at Walsall ) so maybe you're not as great as you think.

I'd be happy with a draw though !!!

Nope, I think most of us recognise that you have improved since those games & that we have some problems by losing 5 first choice players since the end of the year.

On the other hand, we have a very bright manager, a group of players who have got some fight about them as shown by coming back from 2 down last week & you have recently lost at home to Fleetwood, drawn at home to Scunts & drawn at Bristol.....all games that we won ( not to mention the pasting you got at Walsall ) so maybe you're not as great as you think.

I'd be happy with a draw though !!!

Good summary that.  

Feel first team that scores wins this one. 

We win and it's game on for the title, lose and I'd give SU the trophy at 5pm tomorrow.

To be fair, I think most of us realise tomorrow is probably the hardest game of the season. I don't expect it to be anything like the other games, not just because of the changes since then for both teams but also because we are a different prospect away from home compared to at home. Anyone that finishes above Sheff Utd wins the league for me. The bookies have you 1/33 for promotion and I don't think they're far wrong.

I'd take a point tomorrow (as long as we beat Bristol Rovers on Tuesday) and just chase the 2nd spot. Spearing missing is massive - it's like you lot playing without Sharp, he's been that good this season. Whatever happens it will be a top day out.