Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Goal Line Technology

waffer cup 07

Or vice Versa of course

Video technology for major incidents should be used not just goals. It works in rugby and can in football.

He very made this point before. But when you get a controversial decision on MOTD and the guests have had hours to study the footage and looked at it from every conceivable angle - they still disagree.

I hate the idea - it could be the final nail in footballs coffin for me.

Why though? If you've one person responsible for making a decision with the benefit of a video replay how is that the final nail in the coffin or the same as studio pundits (some with bias)?

It's enhanced rugby both union and league imo so I fail to see how it won't benefit football unless you are an advocate of diving and cheating of course

Edited by Escobarp

Why though? If you've one person responsible for making a decision with the benefit of a video replay how is that the final nail in the coffin or the same as studio pundits (some with bias)?

It's enhanced rugby both union and league imo so I fail to see how it won't benefit football unless you are an advocate of diving and cheating of course

If it delays the spontaneity when a goal is scored it will ruin football.

I've posted about it before, but it needs to be instant, like a bleeper tennis thingy.

When that goal went in a port vale....it was probably the most explosive celebration we've hand for years, a buzz like that keeps you going for seasons. If you've got to wait 30 seconds to see if it's given the games fucked.

People just aren't that fucked about the outcome.

remember being at Orient and we had the mother of all downpours during the 2nd half. There wasn't many if us there, with it being a night match, so the stewards moved us all in to the stand. Think we were losing 3-2 and we had a perfect view of what we thought was our equalising goal. It must have gone over the line by a good 3ft before being hoofed out. It wasn't ever close to being borderline. Still grates me even now.

Goal line technology is relatively instant and works well so won't affect what you are speaking of gonzo.

Other major decisions need dealing with via technology during the game I think. The game will benefit

Did you witness the debacle of the international friendlies? Matches were pulled back 30 seconds later.

Imagine that at port vale. Every cunt on the pitch, booting off in the corner, everyone leaping about for joy, police out , battens out, whole whole bolton end delirious, then 30 seconds later it gets pulled back and it's a drop ball.

You can't play with the dynamics of a goal being scored I. Football.

Don't fuck with the game. If you take that away it's game over.

I don't see the relevance of 30+ seconds. What I've seen it's pretty much instantaneous

https://twitter.com/theawayfansvids/status/855813022488690688

We're you in this??

Imagine waiting 30 seconds after that goal goes in to see if it's right

It's fucking bollocks.

That goal gets given v Everton in 97. We stay up trust Colin Todd again to keep us up.

Shit happens. Shit doesn't. It all works out in the end.

Edited by gonzo

I'm not disputing the celebrations and what it would do if brought back 30 secs later. What I don't see is the relevance of 30 secs after watching goal line technology work just fine within a split second in the prem and why you believe in the championship it would be 30 seconds later?

I'm not disputing the celebrations and what it would do if brought back 30 secs later. What I don't see is the relevance of 30 secs after watching goal line technology work just fine within a split second in the prem and why you believe in the championship it would be 30 seconds later?

Im going off the recent trials in the international friendlies.

Im going off the recent trials in the international friendlies.

Surely it is just used if there is a doubt the ball crossed the line - the examples shown the ball is firmly in the back of the net and therefore wouldnt be used ? - or am I missing something??

Aye, I've no massive issue with goal line technology, and I'm happy enough about using it for retrospective punishment/exoneration (though I do think they still sometimes get them wrong).

For me, the problems will really pile up when they start using it for other stuff. I reckon I'll knock it on the head when they start pulling play back for a shirt tug two minutes before a goal is scored.

Aye, I've no massive issue with goal line technology, and I'm happy enough about using it for retrospective punishment/exoneration (though I do think they still sometimes get them wrong).

For me, the problems will really pile up when they start using it for other stuff. I reckon I'll knock it on the head when they start pulling play back for a shirt tug two minutes before a goal is scored.

That's my issue with it. How far do you go back in looking at incidents? There could be half a dozen fouls in the build up to a 'goal'