Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I know - but again, you've mixed funding and then thrown in the barnet formula which doesn't relate to the larger EU infastructure projects that are being discusssed. Then again going on about the government being in control of spending per region - which as you were told last week it always had in relation to EU funding. You keep saying you understand how the EU and funding strcutures in the UK work, but then contradict yourself with what you write.

There's a really good, and quite short book called the The European Union: A Citizen's Guide. Its not pro or anti the EU, it outlines both pros and cons but its great at giving an overiew to laymen such as ourselves about the workings, structure and funding.

I don’t need to know the intricacies of how the EU spent our money, I know enough to know we got less out than we put in and just having a say where it’s spent isnt a better position than being in total control of ALL the money.

Regarding Barnett formula I was making a separate but related point that these regions already receive more money than similar regions in parts of England. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Then you've read some headlines and not the proposal itself. I suggest you start there.

I’ve seen the interview with Nick Thomas-Symonds, Starmer and Thornberry. If you could post a link to the written proposal, I’ll read it in bed tonight.👍

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Yes, well some of it, we didn’t get back what we gave them…. I’ll keep repeating myself, I prefer our government to choose where we spend it rather than just having a say in where it’s spent. 

The City of London doesn't get back everything it gives to the UK coffers.

The money that was coming from the EU isn't there any more and our government has shown no interest in replacing it.

1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

The City of London doesn't get back everything it gives to the UK coffers.

The money that was coming from the EU isn't there any more and our government has shown no interest in replacing it.

No it doesn’t but the rest of the money  is invested in the UK rather than given to poor south med countries. 

21 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I don’t need to know the intricacies of how the EU spent our money, I know enough to know we got less out than we put in and just having a say where it’s spent isnt a better position than being in total control of ALL the money.

Regarding Barnett formula I was making a separate but related point that these regions already receive more money than similar regions in parts of England. 

But your posts show that you really do. Get informed and then you can make salient points about leaving the EU.

Anyway, leave that one with you - it's a very affordable book, and well worth your time.

45 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

What nonsense? please enlighten me with your knowledge. 

You don’t really listen though and just keep saying you are happy with the new system whilst failing to acknowledge the facts.

The UK government have shown no inclination to replace EU money to anywhere in the UK so it’s bad news wherever you live (possibly apart from London). Wales, Scotland and NI are particularly worse off as they were previously net beneficiaries. The people most affected are the poorest in our society. Most importantly the EU funds were used in conjunction with UK and devolved government agencies as a partnership. Now there is limited local influence to where the replacement money is allocated. That is mentioned in the link I posted yesterday.  So overall less money and less local influence. 

The Barnett formula is for public expenditure in devolved governments so is not the same thing. 

Edited by Farrelli

9 hours ago, Farrelli said:

You don’t really listen though and just keep saying you are happy with the new system whilst failing to acknowledge the facts.

The UK government have shown no inclination to replace EU money to anywhere in the UK so it’s bad news wherever you live (possibly apart from London). Wales, Scotland and NI are particularly worse off as they were previously net beneficiaries. The people most affected are the poorest in our society. Most importantly the EU funds were used in conjunction with UK and devolved government agencies as a partnership. Now there is limited local influence to where the replacement money is allocated. That is mentioned in the link I posted yesterday.  So overall less money and less local influence. 

The Barnett formula is for public expenditure in devolved governments so is not the same thing. 

You don’t seem to be listening or reading my earlier posts the Barnett formula is an example of how the UK government increase expenditure in Scotland and is relevant now that we have returned social funding from EU to UK government then it has to be taken into account. 

Your assumption that the money available is less than what EU gave is incorrect it is and I quote from government literature is that it is “similar”I’ll add the link to the governments info. 

Regarding your suggestion that there is limited local influence with regards where the money is spent again incorrect, the government work with local councils to identify and then encourage bids for local projects.

The main thrust of my earlier posts is that I’m happy that UK not EU control our spend, not least so we can take the government to task and hold them accountable for spending, you are happy to get 5 shilling back for every 6 shilling via the EU… That’s because you are blind sided by the project. Sad really. 

Here is the links to the info above so you can check what the reality is.

3 word slogan over and out. 🤣

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8527/CBP-8527.pdf

23 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66839314

People were defending this clown. Some wanted him back as PM🫢

It’s no wonder there were issues when the civil service seemed to want to run the country and oppose some of the key components of Johnson’s manifesto that got him an 80 seat majority. The civil service is to support and deliver what the government were voted in to do, they seem to have forgot that. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

19 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You don’t seem to be listening or reading my earlier posts the Barnett formula is an example of how the UK government increase expenditure in Scotland and is relevant now that we have returned social funding from EU to UK government then it has to be taken into account. 

Your assumption that the money available is less than what EU gave is incorrect it is and I quote from government literature is that it is “similar”I’ll add the link to the governments info. 

Regarding your suggestion that there is limited local influence with regards where the money is spent again incorrect, the government work with local councils to identify and then encourage bids for local projects.

The main thrust of my earlier posts is that I’m happy that UK not EU control our spend, not least so we can take the government to task and hold them accountable for spending, you are happy to get 5 shilling back for every 6 shilling via the EU… That’s because you are blind sided by the project. Sad really. 

Over and out with an 18 month old document🤣I’ll let you into a little secret, the Tories don’t keep their promises. Whether it is sewage, HS2, EU replacement funding, schools maintenance or building new hospitals they are full of shit. 

Project reality is in the attached doc. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66773730.amp

1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

Over and out with an 18 month old document🤣I’ll let you into a little secret, the Tories don’t keep their promises. Whether it is sewage, HS2, EU replacement funding, schools maintenance or building new hospitals they are full of shit. 

Project reality is in the attached doc. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66773730.amp

I’ll let you into a secret most governments don’t keep there promise neither do the EU…. That’s exactly the reason I want us to control our spend so that we the public can attempt to use our vote to make the politicians accountable. Now can you answer why you want to give EU 6 shilling and go with a begging bowl for 5 shillings? 

13 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’ll let you into a secret most governments don’t keep there promise neither do the EU…. That’s exactly the reason I want us to control our spend so that we the public can attempt to use our vote to make the politicians accountable. Now can you answer why you want to give EU 6 shilling and go with a begging bowl for 5 shillings? 

That is just an excuse for the inept performance of this government, “they all lie”!

EU delivered many projects in Wales and averaged £375 million per year. That is Money that was actually delivered into hundreds of projects like road building and community centres not some half baked lies from Westminster. 

36 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I won't bother telling you to go and do some research as you won't. Your first sentence about using the Barnett forumla to try and explain why you voted out shows, once again, that you don't really understand how funding works. It's been pointed out to you over and over again, but yet you seem to shout in the face of any facts.

You have been told, the EU does not and never has controlled 'our spend', and been advised to find out how EU funding structures actually work, but yet you don't want to do this either.

The irony here is that you are happy to say other people have been 'blindsided' by the EU, and yet you demonstate a complete lack of understand how it works, how it works in relation to members states and moreover, how direct funding works from Westminister. Also, have you read the paper? Even a cursory glance shows its a trying to find a way of continuing the same stuructual funds that were already in place. The Barnett Forumla has nothing whatsoever to do with this.

Monuts like to call anyone who disagrees with the lack of factual basis in his posts as supercilious, as in some way being informed is to look down on someone else, quite the position. As I've said, there are some valid points as to why we should have left the EU, or at the very least try to reform from within, but you have yet to make these yet Mounts. 

37 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I won't bother telling you to go and do some research as you won't. Your first sentence about using the Barnett forumla to try and explain why you voted out shows, once again, that you don't really understand how funding works. It's been pointed out to you over and over again, but yet you seem to shout in the face of any facts.

You have been told, the EU does not and never has controlled 'our spend', and been advised to find out how EU funding structures actually work, but yet you don't want to do this either.

The irony here is that you are happy to say other people have been 'blindsided' by the EU, and yet you demonstate a complete lack of understand how it works, how it works in relation to members states and moreover, how direct funding works from Westminister. Also, have you read the paper? Even a cursory glance shows its a trying to find a way of continuing the same stuructual funds that were already in place. The Barnett Forumla has nothing whatsoever to do with this.

Monuts like to call anyone who disagrees with the lack of factual basis in his posts as supercilious, as in some way being informed is to look down on someone else, quite the position. As I've said, there are some valid points as to why we should have left the EU, or at the very least try to reform from within, but you have yet to make these yet Mounts. 

I don’t care how EU distributed our money and how or who they engaged with to decide it because I’d prefer our government decided and that’s why I have no need to read about how funding is decided and distributed by the EU.

The key for me is who controls the spend and not where it is spent or how that spend is decided. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I don’t care how EU distributed our money and how or who they engaged with to decide it because I’d prefer our government decided and that’s why I have no need to read about how funding is decided and distributed by the EU.

The key for me is who controls the spend and not where it is spent or how that spend is decided. 

The key for me is who controls the spend and not where it is spent or how that spend is decided”

Crikey

15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Well stop pretending things are better then and using spurious claims that are out of date. It would be better to admit you don’t give a shit.