Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Oxfam Scandal

miamiwhite

• Members

I only ever give to local charities. Suspected for years that the vast majority of collected money goes to many things other than the target the giver intended (admin, vehicles, getting your rocks off etc.). I am sure I recall a study back in the 80's where they reckoned that the average amount of money which actually made it to the cause was around 30% of what was collected.

For the last 10 years I have been raising (through the scooter scene) and giving money (including some of my own) to a local charity down here called the Parkerville Child Care and Youth Care organisation which does some pretty amazing work for battered, abused and abandoned kids. Even the fact that the CEO is a bucket shaker did not put me off.

The very first contribution made paid for bathrooms to be installed in 12 sheltered units for under age abandoned pregnant girls - some as young as 12. Often the result of incestuous rape or grooming, the plight of these girls was truly sickening. Not all aboriginals I might add (even though such stuff is rife in their communities). At the time a third were of other origin including ours.

Since then we have raised a good amount for them and am hopeful we will break through the $100,000 barrier very soon.

If I knew 100% that a donation I made to, say, getting fresh clean water to some of these drought stricken African places and the like, I would be delighted to help. Problem is, I don't believe the vast majority gets there and this Oxfam Haiti disgrace only strengthens that belief.

Does a lot of work for charity. Doesn't like to talk about it

• Members

Does a lot of work for charity. Doesn't like to talk about it

Fair enough if that's the way you want to take it cuntybollocks.

Wasn't my intention - more to highlight the good which can be done in keeping it local rather than giving to these multinational charities with huge administration costs they have to cover.

Crack on though if it makes you feel happy.

• Members

Wasn't my intention - more to highlight the good which can be done in keeping it local rather than giving to these multinational charities with huge administration costs they have to cover.

Megalolz

Edited by DazBob

P, 

I think you missed the joke.

He wasn't having a pop.

• Members

P, 

I think you missed the joke.

He wasn't having a pop.

I did then. Probably a line from some Brit comedy I haven't seen?

Apologies Dazbob - must be the heat getting to me. Been a grumpy fucker for the past week  :thumbsup:

Cheers C.

Edited by bolty58

• Members

Joke or no joke I think the 2 need a straightener to clear the air.

Another one FFS! Decided after the last one that they're a waste of fucking time. Ended up getting pissed with the lad and singing Bolton songs at two in the fucking morning.

• Members

Just throw Brendan Cox back in their faces mate.......he was shit hot with charity wasn’t he ?

Interesting story. I would imagine that our confused 'middle aged white male' correspondent, filled with self disgust, is going to have quite a wrestle coming to terms with this one.