Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Russian Spy Malarkey

madthatter

Appeaser...

Go and join the other commies like Corbyn and er...Peter Hitchens.

Hitchens . . . now there's a sour apple that talks some sense.

Corbyn wasn't wrong either.  Our whole public approach/response to this has been more concerning than the use of nerve toxins on our streets

Said on this thread that we're just as bad and that's what many folk seem to forget

We live in strange times where a shit joke is a hate crime and our foreign affairs secretary speaks like Major from Watery Fowls, the Flowery Twat

Edited by madthatter

Corbyn wasn't wrong either.  Our whole public approach/response to this has been more concerning than the use of nerve toxins on our streets

Said on this thread that we're just as bad and that's what many folk seem to forget

We live in strange times were a shit joke is a hate crime and our foreign affairs secretary speaks like Major from Watery Fowls, the Flowery Twat

Corbyn was branded a "commie Russian double agent" by our oh so intelligent media for what seemed to be a very balanced and rational response.

In this country some people don't seem to take well to balanced and rational and careful responses and prefer tub-thumping nonsense. Like you I'm worried that poking Russia is not a sensible strategy. Holding them to account yes, once you have established the facts. But they're not someone I'd be trying to rile up.

Boris is a walking disaster and frankly its an embarrassment to the entire nation that he's even an MP, let alone in the front bench. 

This talk of a new political party taking from the Tory and Labour centre might be our best bloody hope for a more rational approach to politics. 

• Site Supporter

We live in strange times were a shit joke is a hate crime and our foreign affairs secretary speaks like Major from Watery Fowls, the Flowery Twat

Got to disagree re Corbyn. As for the government; they've played a blinder over the attack. Boris may not be helpful at times but there's more than just him thankfully.

Corbyn was branded a "commie Russian double agent" by our oh so intelligent media for what seemed to be a very balanced and rational response.

In this country some people don't seem to take well to balanced and rational and careful responses and prefer tub-thumping nonsense. Like you I'm worried that poking Russia is not a sensible strategy. Holding them to account yes, once you have established the facts. But they're not someone I'd be trying to rile up.

Boris is a walking disaster and frankly its an embarrassment to the entire nation that he's even an MP, let alone in the front bench.

This talk of a new political party taking from the Tory and Labour centre might be our best bloody hope for a more rational approach to politics.

Russia are seasoned professionals at espionage and revenge attacks so they just don’t leave obvious trails leading to The Kremlin. As discussed previously they just deflect from the truth and spin lots of conspiracy theories. TM has played this well and Corbyn should be standing square behind her and not weakening her position. It beggars belief how he would have handled this if he had been PM, we would be still sitting on our hands as Putin et al continue to laugh in our faces

Got to disagree re Corbyn. As for the government; they've played a blinder over the attack. Boris may not be helpful at times but there's more than just him thankfully.

Fair enough :)  I don't doubt that Russia have in one way or another carried out the attack in Salisbury but I think Corbyn was right to suggest we could be a bit more diplomatic, shall we say, in our response to it.

Said above the result that we have currently is good form a political pov, and I'm sure most of this is hot air from all involved; but why we've been playing espionage games with Russia since the end of WW2 is beyond me.

Tin foil hat reasons notwithstanding ;)

Not just here, seems the whole western world is polarised at the minute whether it be political, racial, sexual or gender related.  Voices of reason are drowned out or ridiculed; it's like living in the witch hunt days!

Again, it's hard to resist tin foil hat reasons but one thing that is for certain is that the media have been stirring it up more than I've ever seen in my lifetime at the minute.

I doubt that's accidental or coincidental.

#fakenews that doesn't fit the narrative ;)

What narrative is that? That we don't live in a meritocracy and it's not what you know it's who you know? That one?

Aye cos he's really had a tough upbringing and had to drag himself up by his bootstraps hasn't he.

• Site Supporter

Fair enough :)  I don't doubt that Russia have in one way or another carried out the attack in Salisbury but I think Corbyn was right to suggest we could be a bit more diplomatic, shall we say, in our response to it.

Said above the result that we have currently is good form a political pov, and I'm sure most of this is hot air from all involved; but why we've been playing espionage games with Russia since the end of WW2 is beyond me.

Tin foil hat reasons notwithstanding ;)

Don't know if you saw it live, but I watched it as TM gave her statement shortly after the attack. He'd been given the information previously, and the government had done it's analysis.

The statement gave the Russians the opportunity to say if some of its material had got into the wrong hands; which for some was actually quite gentle and diplomatic.

Corbyn responded in a way that questioned the work done and it's evidence and suggested we should give them a sample.

At first it seemed reasonable but upon reflection would have been pointless. Better the independent authority do their work.

It was very telling that some of corbyns colleagues were agast at his comments, and slapped him down by saying they were unhappy with his comments and expressing their full support for the governments responge.

It was the nature and tone of his comments that suggested a desire to make some political issue from it that was so distasteful.

• Members

Don't know if you saw it live, but I watched it as TM gave her statement shortly after the attack. He'd been given the information previously, and the government had done it's analysis.

The statement gave the Russians the opportunity to say if some of its material had got into the wrong hands; which for some was actually quite gentle and diplomatic.

Corbyn responded in a way that questioned the work done and it's evidence and suggested we should give them a sample.

At first it seemed reasonable but upon reflection would have been pointless. Better the independent authority do their work.

It was very telling that some of corbyns colleagues were agast at his comments, and slapped him down by saying they were unhappy with his comments and expressing their full support for the governments responge.

It was the nature and tone of his comments that suggested a desire to make some political issue from it that was so distasteful.

The Russians have too much on him from his time as one of the Proletariat - working for the Eastern Bloc against the interests of the country he would now like to lead (God forbid). They could finish him for certain.

He will defend them or employ diversionary tactics for as long as he can

What narrative is that? That we don't live in a meritocracy and it's not what you know it's who you know? That one?

Aye cos he's really had a tough upbringing and had to drag himself up by his bootstraps hasn't he.

Well, I was being facetious :)

I agree, btw.  He's similar to Trump in that regard.  Gangsta 

Yeah I can see that.   I suppose it's two ends of the spectrum here; on the one hand Boris the Tactful and the other Corbyn the Meek ;) 

His great-grandparents include Christians, Muslims and Jews.

His father was a student when Boris was born.

He was severely deaf as a child.

His mother has a nervous breakdown when he was 11.

He went to state schools in Devon and North London before attending the European School in Brussels (when his father worked for the EEC), then a boarding school in Sussex not noted for sending pupils to Eton.

His great-grandfather was a political refugee from Turkey, whose first wife died shortly after giving birth to his grandfather, who was left with English relatives when Boris's ggf went back to Turkey, where he was murdered a few years later.

So yes, sort of. [Although he is directly descended from George II, just like call me Dave.]

He went to state schools in Devon and North London before attending the European School in Brussels (when his father worked for the EEC), then a boarding school in Sussex not noted for sending pupils to Eton.

His great-grandfather was a political refugee from Turkey, whose first wife died shortly after giving birth to his grandfather, who was left with English relatives when Boris's ggf went back to Turkey, where he was murdered a few years later.

So yes, sort of. [Although he is directly descended from George II, just like call me Dave.]

Ha. He was brought up by au pairs on a huge private estate, and in a house in London that sold for £11M. Totally disingenuous to suggest he wasn't hugely privileged. Also to suggest he isn't a massive national embarrassment. 

• Members

Yes or no had he had a tough upbringing from the day he was born?

Copying and pasting Wikipedia not allowed

Yes or no had he had a tough upbringing from the day he was born?

Copying and pasting Wikipedia not allowed

Maybe Malc's point is that he had a tougher upbringing than most of his peers at Eton.   He clearly went to a shit boarding school in rural wherever . . .

Mind you, I've heard the upper echelons of British public school life can be quite bitchy

"OMG, Tarquin, have you seen the Jag that Boris' dad drives?  Sooooo last year!"

Edited by madthatter

• Members

Maybe Malc's point is that he had a tougher upbringing than most of his peers at Eton. He clearly went to a shit boarding school in rural wherever . . .

Mind you, I've heard the upper echelons of British public school life can be quite bitchy

"OMG, Tarquin, have you seen the Jag that Boris' dad drives? Sooooo last year!"

it's half of what he posted is irrelevant

It's like rent a quote from Wikipedia that has no relation to the point

Can you tell I'm in a bad mood!