Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Raheem Sterling

bolty58

• Members

Are these blokes serious?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45196259

Always liked Ian Wright but think he's gone off at the deep end a bit here. I was critical of Sterling, as I suspect many others were, because he kept getting picked during the World Cup and yet couldn't keep possession or finish to save his life - certainly nowhere the player he seems to be for City. Fuck all to do with the colour of his skin - I was hoping he'd be replaced by Marcus Rashford FFS!

Didn't know about the Primark thing etc.but surely even the simplest of folk could see the potential problem with a football 'superstar' having a rifle tattooed on his leg. I wouldn't have read anything sinister into it but others might - especially impressionable youngsters in places like, for example, Moss Side.

Seriously playing the 'racism' card? It seems that any criticism whatsoever of anyone other than a white person is latched on to as 'racism'. Brings the delay in acting on the Rotherham, Telford, Rochdale etc. atrocities into sharp focus. Overly sensitive white marigolds to the fore.

Sterling's presence alone created problems for our World Cup opponents. They were acutely aware of his pace and that made them defend deeper than may otherwise have been the case - the Sweden match especially. He just seems to lack composure at the key moment for England. For City less so. It's almost like he thinks about it too much for England and for City he just does it.

He definitely gets undue stick by numb nuts trying to sell their rags. That gun tat "outrage" in the summer was a fucking embarrassment. Not that I'm attributing it to racism but the amount of "stories" that try to shoe horn the lad in a negative light are a tad suspect. 

He was one of our better players in the World Cup imo His end product wasn't up to scratch but his movement was ridiculous. 

Edited by deane koontz

• Site Supporter

I like Sterling, he’s a quality player. Sure, he should have scored more for England, maybe that will come.

Lingard has been getting all sorts of praise though - maybe it’s the same racists giving him praise.

A non story which should never have seen press/air time

• Moderators

He's been a target for a few years now

The press don't like a a young rich footballer and need one to troll

since he had his big money move they have a pop at him when he splashes the cash and sneer at him when he goes to primark or greggs

Chuck in a bit of "love rat" and the gun tattoo and he's perfect tabloid fodder

Like Beckham was

And Ashley Cole

And Rooney

It's all to do with what goes on off the field and nowt to do with either what happens on it or race

Whetever you say about this lad, he aint the same player for his country.

He wouldn't have cut in and scored for England, like he did for City last Sunday.

At the WC, he was very poor until the later games and so nervy & slow in front of goal.   

Yes he's got pace and this caused teams problems but that will go in time. 

He needs end product for England and soon as his scoring record is a joke.  

• Members

I thought he was one of our best players in the Workd Cup

Caused defenders all sorts of problems, they couldn’t live with him

Harry Kane on the other hand bags a hat full against a couple of amateur sides then gets a free ride for the rest of the tournament

We all see things differently eh? I saw him miss some absolute sitters and give the ball away on countless occasions.

• Members

Was Wayne Rooney black as well then? Or David Beckham or Gazza? Or any other England player who's come in for an inordinate amount of stick?

Outbursts like this do a genuine cause no favours at all.

Very fair points.

• Site Supporter

Agree entirely bolty and Kent. There'll always be a few racist jobs looking to have a pop, but this apparent wholesale attribution of criticism of his performance down to racism is bollocks.

As for the rest of the social media type stuff re his lifestyle is down to sados with nowt better to do.

Whetever you say about this lad, he aint the same player for his country.

He wouldn't have cut in and scored for England, like he did for City last Sunday.

At the WC, he was very poor until the later games and so nervy & slow in front of goal.   

Yes he's got pace and this caused teams problems but that will go in time. 

He needs end product for England and soon as his scoring record is a joke.  

He needs a manager who frees him up to do what he's good at. Pep does this. Southgate didn't.

I'd suggest at some level the colour of his skin doesn't sit well with some folk, but there is plenty other stuff about him that rubs folks up too. The big one is the money grabbing accusations from the time of his move from Liverpool. Likewise now with his City protracted contract talks.

Then there his lack of goals and mirrored performances for club and country. Daft tattoos and the gutter press headlines of generally flashiness and bling don't help.

I think he's probably quite a shy lad at heart, though in front of a camera this often comes across as arrogance.

Unfortunately the lad can't win and will probably learn that soon enough and just be happy being a multi-millionaire playing for a top club and winning trophies.

Well Pabs

IMO i didn't think Sterling was as good as everyone makes out, but what do i know

so i must be racist  

Not sure who is, but like Ian Wright is saying...what else can it be why he is hated and always panned by the media ???!!!

I do think there is a racial under-current to many peoples hatred.

Same issue with Lewis Hamilton......

Im sure someone will be along with a lsit of things they hate.....rather than just saying the obvious !!!

One of  my mates hates Hamilton, I'm not sure why. Anytime he loses or makes a mistake my mate will say "I told you he's shit" or "He's a fucking bottler that lad"

When you point out that he's won the world title 4 times already, so he's clearly not shit or a bottler, then it comes down to the clothes he wears or his haircut, or the fact he's presented a Brit award............he never states the real reason he doesn't like him!

One of  my mates hates Hamilton, I'm not sure why. Anytime he loses or makes a mistake my mate will say "I told you he's shit" or "He's a fucking bottler that lad"

When you point out that he's won the world title 4 times already, so he's clearly not shit or a bottler, then it comes down to the clothes he wears or his haircut, or the fact he's presented a Brit award............he never states the real reason he doesn't like him!

My local is full of them types mate.

And I guess this is Ian Wrights point really.