Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Local Delicacies

Dr Faustus

• Members

Worst - Witchetty grubs down here.

Best - probably pigs trotters on the Singapore waterfront OR their fucking wonderful black pepper mud crab which they tell me is a meal of choice for Singaporean special occasions.

Agree with Sweep about century eggs BTW. That is just so wrong on so many levels. Absolutely disgusting things.

That is the traditional tin miner's two courses in a pasty. The crimp around the edge was so they could hold it by the pastry then throw away to avoid arsenic poisoning.

Was chatting with a Mexican woman about their food, and I asked are empanadas part of the cuisine.

No, but pasties are.

What?!

Apparently exported by Cornish miners to various corners of the globe, including Mexico.

Even adopted the word...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paste_(pasty)

She also confirmed cheese on burritos is an Americanism that I've long suspected

Edited by jayjayoghani

• Site Supporter

Just remembered, my local chippy doesn't do gravy, as many of them down here don't.......but they do oxtail soup, so folk have chips and oxtail soup. The dirty bastards.

It does taste quite nice though :)

My grandma always treats me to chips and oxtail soup whenever I’m there, even. If I pop for a brew this concoction appears with a few rounds of warbies.

Lovely.

• Site Supporter

Most local delicacies in the north west tend to be bland, flavourless and have the density of a collapsed star.

I remember being with a southerner in Carrs pastie shop a while back. He was asked what he wanted and he just stared at the display and said "Why is all your food yellow?"

• Site Supporter

Most local delicacies in the north west tend to be bland, flavourless and have the density of a collapsed star.

I remember being with a southerner in Carrs pastie shop a while back. He was asked what he wanted and he just stared at the display and said "Why is all your food yellow?"

Booo. You've got strange tastes. Black pudding bland and tasteless?

Get yourself to the cottage loaf at totty. Pie central, awesome.

• Site Supporter

Tried bacon oat cakes for breakfast on Hanley bus station, nowt special, prefer a bacon barm.

I got asked if I wanted a sausage oatcake when in Hanley once, presumed oatcake was their local terminology for a barm, such as those idiots in Burnley that say tea cake, but no, out came this sausage wrapped in porridge type bread. Rank I thought.

My favourites tend to be more regional than local

Haggis and proper square sausage - always best on the east side of Scotland. Haggis needs to be fresh and peppery, and the sausage absolutely has to be from a butchers shop

White pudding - fookin love it, again from a proper butchers shop in Ireland and not that Clontakilty shite with lumps in - has to be smooth

As an aside, some of the local mancs here are completely blown away by a pasty float. Carr’s pasty on a bed of mushy peas with plenty vinegar and brown sauce.

• Site Supporter

American mustard?? Wtf? Colemans English Mustard- the only mustard worth having imo.

I'd previously been out for a steak with a Texan chap and introduced him to Coleman's English. He saidit was the best thing he'd ever tasted and now I take a jar or two whenever I go over. I also took him a couple of tins of powdered; my God, that stuff is a proper sinus clearer.

Tried my first oatcake up the road from Post Vale a couple of seasons ago. I think I had bacon and cheese and it was surprisingly good.

Had jellied eels of the Kershaw man in a local pub. Absolute shite.

I'd agree that stuff like Lobby, Black Peas, Carrs Pasties and Malt Loaf are utterly bland, dense shit that you wouldn't feed to a dog, but Black Pudding and Tripe (if cooked properly) are lovely and full of flavour

Hang on - I know we've had this debate before - but black peas are immense. And forgive my ignorance but are lobby and potato ash the same thing? Because potato ash is food of the gods too!

Tatty hash, lobby, scouse and probably numerous others are basically the same thing. A dish made from cheap bits of meat and potato bulk it out.

Scouse is made from real meat - scrag end lamb etc.

'Tata hash is with onion, potatoes and corned beef only.

'Potato pie' was the above with a doorstep suet crust atop - same kind of which sat above 'cowheel' (in our house, before we as kids had agency)...

Lobby is a unknown quantity to me - it might contain sweetcorn for all I know.

Scouse is made from real meat - scrag end lamb etc.

'Tata hash is with onion, potatoes and corned beef only.

'Potato pie' was the above with a doorstep suet crust atop - same kind of which sat above 'cowheel' (in our house, before we as kids had agency)...

Lobby is a unknown quantity to me - it might contain sweetcorn for all I know.

It looks like sick and smells like BO. That's all you need to know really.