Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boltonian Checklist...

Youri McAnespie

2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Walking all the way up St Helens Rd to Walsh's, convincing yourself it actually was a shop, going in and being asked what size you were only for the gent in an apron to look at your feet and tut and say you were wrong.

Need a mortgage for some v-ripple these days.

Ha, I did exactly that.

Pair of lovely all black v ripples. Had a puma style stripe down the side, lovely soft leather.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Did all my badges at Moss Street baths.

Farnworth baths was proper posh in comparison

Most of the kids , of a certain generation,  must have been taught to swim by Beryl Stone in there 

badge for swimming in your pyjamas and being able swim down for the rubber brick 

2 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Most of the kids , of a certain generation,  must have been taught to swim by Beryl Stone in there 

badge for swimming in your pyjamas and being able swim down for the rubber brick 

Aye. Every Friday night. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Honours

All the distance badges up to 1500m.

My dad sat up on the steps reading a book

5 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Was a proper old place with rooms with actual baths that you could hire out. Must have been Victorian for when folk didn't have bathrooms.

Still got old baths in Edinburgh. Has the saloon door changing rooms at the side of the pool still 

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Aye. Every Friday night. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Honours

All the distance badges up to 1500m.

My dad sat up on the steps reading a book

You were lucky, my dad waited in the bowling green on Blackburn rd...

24 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Right at the bottom (town end) of Halliwell Road. 

Shut mid 80's I think

Mrs Stones the teacher - she was evil. 

Did a swimming gala as well at Moss St. If you want to see it now, go to MOSI - got a panel of it up to show what Victorian baths were like.

After it shut, did badges at Farnworth (farnworth market afterwards for a treat before onto Asda) then Horwich as I started to be ok at it, joined the club then decided didn’t want to do it anymore after that Gold lifesaving badge thing.

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

She did horwich baths as well

Proper big old angry wench that shouted a lot and looked like she'd never swam a length in her life

I know! Thought I’d got rid after Moss St. Used to dunk kids to get them used to being underwater.

having said that, I am a pretty good swimmer so maybe she was ok, but used to scare the shit out of me for years.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Not in Crawley said:

I know! Thought I’d got rid after Moss St. Used to dunk kids to get them used to being underwater.

having said that, I am a pretty good swimmer so maybe she was ok, but used to scare the shit out of me for years.

Think she was good, but her style was, or seemed to be at the time,  based on the “swim or drown “technique 

• Members
14 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Was an old baths just down Deane rd too, past the pocket , used to be a Mill next door and was called panda plastics in the 70s

Isn’t that where Amir Khan has spent the last 47 years building his wedding venue?

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

She did horwich baths as well

Proper big old angry wench that shouted a lot and looked like she'd never swam a length in her life

Fucking hell, I thought it must be someone else! Horrible cow she was.

My best mate in primary school had a heart condition and overdid it on a race, he passed out after getting out of the pool and she gave him mouth to mouth, poor bastard didn't need it but it was the only time I saw her show any empathy.

31 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Mrs Stones the teacher - she was evil. 

Did a swimming gala as well at Moss St. If you want to see it now, go to MOSI - got a panel of it up to show what Victorian baths were like.

After it shut, did badges at Farnworth (farnworth market afterwards for a treat before onto Asda) then Horwich as I started to be ok at it, joined the club then decided didn’t want to do it anymore after that Gold lifesaving badge thing.

Farnworth Baths used to be where the Asda is now. That was an old Victorian style baths too. 

Demolished in the 70's whilst I was at Queen St school, they built the current baths next door and sold the site to allow a supermarket to be built. For some reason, I've got the name Scan Supermarket in my head. I think they opened on that site and then Asda took over.