Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boltonian Checklist...

Youri McAnespie

Having a snog on next to fountains on New Year’s Eve in the town hall square

Having dinner at that cafe in the middle of the marketplace before the renovation.

playing pool in the Old Three Crowns whilst nursing one pint all afternoon when a student

Watching Perry, the greatest band Bolton ever produced, playing the Crown and Cushion every other week.

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Having dinner at that cafe in the middle of the marketplace before the renovation.

God yes! Sat there drinking your pop straight across from a stall selling massive granny knickers. Happy days. If mum was flush we would go to that place downstairs outside, was it Russell's?

18 hours ago, Escobarp said:

been in Bolton supper bar pissed up

bought jeans from talibs

Having to go through the rigmarole of visiting the supper bar and the red one on the side of the newstand/Chester Moonshines/Revolution because your mate didn't like the gravy/the scraps/the serving girls etc. at one or the other...

Never got any decent jeans from Talibs - I think they palmed off all their shit on our lot.

Smuggled cans into Sparrows or Panthers as an impoverished schoolkid - and having to leave to go home when they were just getting going.

Purposefully stamping on the dancefloor at Panthers to make Spam's needle jump - hilarious.

31 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

God yes! Sat there drinking your pop straight across from a stall selling massive granny knickers. Happy days. If mum was flush we would go to that place downstairs outside, was it Russell's?

It was

Named after Derek Guest’s son

Not Jeremy, the other one

I was in Bolton on Saturday and Derek almost ran me down. 

55 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Sat in Headhunters or Oggis as a kid praying you didn't get the bloke who had one cut for all...

In Oggis case it was, unfortunately, the proprietor and that tall bloke with the glasses and 'tache...

"Killer Cain" at top of Chorley Street did whatever he wanted as well apparently. A school urban myth, that!

2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Use to go to Russell's after sixth form most days. Order a coffee and smoke cigs. I remember clearly how to do an Irish waterfall there with cigarette smoke. Imagine smoking in a basement cafe now. 

Russells was always relatively dear iirc...

There must be some reasoning why I voiced the scurrilous opinion he added his own contribution to anything with cream on the menu.

In the days of pubs not opening before noon going to La Rachelle for breakfast and a pint or two...

Ate a Bella Pizza (Americano is still the same as thirty years ago as far as I know).

Ate a Rice and Three Kebab sandwich - gone for a piss and wondered briefly why there was a plastic teapot in the trap.

Been a member of snooker/pool clubs (Crown and Flick, the one above Headhunters etc.) largely as just another place to sup rather than play.

Bought a £2.50 junior fishing permit then gone 'fishing' on Doffcocker/Braddies/Temple springs etc. with totally wrong tackle, bait and at the wrong time, getting bored after about an hour of not catching anything and relieving the boredom by lobbing half-chorleys into each other's pegs...Always went down well with the serious anglers present.

Going into Wardrobe during the 80s casuals phase.  Seeing the prices and coming out again.

Unfolding half a dozen jumpers in Benetton and putting them back on the shelf looking nothing like as neat as they were a few minutes earlier.

Seeing all the detritus of Bolton life when catching the last bus at Moor Lane

18 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

looking on in astonishment that people actually ate in The cafe on moor lane Bus station 

School swimming lessons in farnworth baths 

As a kid, did both.

My primary school was pretty much right by Farny Baths and my gran used to take me in that cafe after shopping on the market on a Saturday morning.

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

As a kid, did both.

My primary school was pretty much right by Farny Baths and my gran used to take me in that cafe after shopping on the market on a Saturday morning.

Moor lane bus station itself just gave me a bad feeling. My dad was a bus driver and as such he regularly ate in there but I never  had to go in. 

to be fair I used to eat in a cafe on salford precinct with by gran which wouldn’t have been much better tbh. Roger the resident red will no doubt remember it fondly