Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dog's done a cruciate!

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Right leg, snapped my anterior and medial at the same time

Wouldn’t wish the pain of it on anyone. 6 months on crutches. 

Poor pooch.

Wife's been reading up. Apparently, their structure is obviously very different than ours, and their ligaments tend to go as a result of wear/previous damage. Can't be repaired like with us, so they reshape the bone and turn it around. Supposedly weight bearing in 1-3 days!

He might have damaged it as he suffered a puncture wound around 4 weeks ago, which may have gone into the joint directly and which he had treatment for. This could have weakened the ligament and snap!

Also checking for residual infection which needs to be cleared prior to surgery.

£4000 at least. Thanks fuck for insurance.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Wife's been reading up. Apparently, their structure is obviously very different than ours, and their ligaments tend to go as a result of wear/previous damage. Can't be repaired like with us, so they reshape the bone and turn it around. Supposedly weight bearing in 1-3 days!

He might have damaged it as he suffered a puncture wound around 4 weeks ago, which may have gone into the joint directly and which he had treatment for. This could have weakened the ligament and snap!

Also checking for residual infection which needs to be cleared prior to surgery.

I’ll ask the missus, she’s a vet nurse.

i do know that dogs are very resilient when it comes to this type of thing though.

Have insurance said they’ll cover ALL costs? Apparently some companies are good with the small print...

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Completely different that

Snapped ACL in both legs, it’s not much fun. Meniscus is often damaged too; I’ve had numerous subsequent arthroscopies to sort that out after as well. 

Hamstring tendon Taken out, folded over and bolted back in was the most common reconstruction in humans til a few years ago. Can use patella tendon as well as synthetics I think.

no idea if it’s moved on recently

As if you asked about humans that have had it when your dog’s done theirs :D

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’ll ask the missus, she’s a vet nurse.

i do know that dogs are very resilient when it comes to this type of thing though.

Have insurance said they’ll cover ALL costs? Apparently some companies are good with the small print...

Lifetime policy and no excess. Up to £7k per year.

They've already paid out £3000+ for an operation on the same dog on a condition called ocd in his front shoulder a while ago. Recovered well from that.

This is a different injury on a different leg.

Looks like he will be having 'tplo' op though an alternative procedure called 'tla' or something.

Main concern is that both conditions can bring on arthritis, and getting that in 2 legs sounds rough. He's only 2 1/2.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, jules_darby said:

Completely different that

Snapped ACL in both legs, it’s not much fun. Meniscus is often damaged too; I’ve had numerous subsequent arthroscopies to sort that out after as well. 

Hamstring tendon Taken out, folded over and bolted back in was the most common reconstruction in humans til a few years ago. Can use patella tendon as well as synthetics I think.

no idea if it’s moved on recently

As if you asked about humans that have had it when your dog’s done theirs :D

Tried asking a few dogs, but didn't get much of a reply!

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Lifetime policy and no excess. Up to £7k per year.

They've already paid out £3000+ for an operation on the same dog on a condition called ocd in his front shoulder a while ago. Recovered well from that.

This is a different injury on a different leg.

Looks like he will be having 'tplo' op though an alternative procedure called 'tla' or something.

Main concern is that both conditions can bring on arthritis, and getting that in 2 legs sounds rough. He's only 2 1/2.

What breed of dog is it?