Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

3 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I always like the smell of the tube, it reminded me of the unusual aroma you got down the pit.

I have to say I agree, there is something about it, but I always try and walk if I can as places are never as far away as you think and nothing ever gets joined up properly if you just take the tube. Took me about five years to realise that!

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I have to say I agree, there is something about it, but I always try and walk if I can as places are never as far away as you think and nothing ever gets joined up properly if you just take the tube. Took me about five years to realise that!

Euston to Trafalgar Square isn't the 10 minutes I was once told.

The tube is considerably quicker

• Site Supporter
Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Me too. After many years having a couple of days in London with the family we realised we never actually saw much beyond River, underground and the touristy bits. We still do the tourist stuff but then walk back to central London or out towards further tourist bits. You chance upon a hell of a lot of ‘other parts’, little parks, millionaire pads, old buildings which just aren’t on the normal tourist routes.

It’s a great way to see that there London.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Euston to Trafalgar Square isn't the 10 minutes I was once told.

The tube is considerably quicker

Yeah that'd be a bit daft, that's a good 30 mins, although you could pick yourself up some lovely dumplings in China Town on the way I suppose...

Although, it does depend on rush hour, if the tube is rammed and it shuts - it's sometimes quicker even walking say from Victoria to Green Park, or Holborn to any fucking where at from 5.30 onwards.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yeah that'd be a bit daft, that's a good 30 mins, although you could pick yourself up some lovely dumplings in China Town on the way I suppose...

Although, it does depend on rush hour, if the tube is rammed and it shuts - it's sometimes quicker even walking say from Victoria to Green Park, or Holborn to any fucking where at from 5.30 onwards.

My current commute is under 30 seconds.

Greta Thunberg should be offering to do my laundry for the environmental effort I'm making.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Spider said:

My current commute is under 30 seconds.

Greta Thunberg should be offering to do my laundry for the environmental effort I'm making.

I bet she smells like an antique shop

Edited by Rudy

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yes, just enjoying the good weather and taking some beers, saying it'll be 23 degrees tomorrow and wednesday in central London. Might make our way to Primrose Hill or Granary Square - you've got to work out the triangulation of Supermarket, Toilets, Green Space you are allowed to drink in. Every park is going to be rammed with that weather and being allowed to meet people. I suspect the inevitable headlines with photos of London Parks/Brighton beach will pop up no doubt.

For the other half's birthday pubs will be open for takeaway's and the Old Neptune in Whitstable is right on the beach so I'm hoping that it'll be open. If not I've still got a few bottles of champagne and a F&M hamper for lunch. 

The Forge is also a good shout for outdoor supping in Whitstable, it's essentially an oyster/fish and chip shack but they have draught beer and you can sit on the wall watching the world go by.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Me too. After many years having a couple of days in London with the family we realised we never actually saw much beyond River, underground and the touristy bits. We still do the tourist stuff but then walk back to central London or out towards further tourist bits. You chance upon a hell of a lot of ‘other parts’, little parks, millionaire pads, old buildings which just aren’t on the normal tourist routes.

I'd say that's fair enough though, I mean, I took a walk around Sydenham for the first time on saturday at its about 4 miles away. Nice little high street.

Best tourist thing I've found for people is day one, go direct to the southbank and get on a clipper tour under the London eye - it's half price with any rail ticket so costs next to nothing. Last 40 minutes. You get to tick off a lot of the sights, sat down, on the river whilst they are being explained to you.

Then, you've done all the things you 'have' to do without knackering yourself out and from there go and see what you want to. Things that are touristy but under appriciated are go from the sotuhbank and just walk behind the old City Hall and it goes really quiet and you are at Leake Street Tunnels -fab place, through there and you get to the The Cut - all full of decent places to eat and drink. Bit of culture, you are a stones throw from the Imperial War Museum or the Old Vic.

2 minutes ago, Super Bock said:

The Forge is also a good shout for outdoor supping in Whitstable, it's essentially an oyster/fish and chip shack but they have draught beer and you can sit on the wall watching the world go by.

It'd be lovely if that was open and serving on the 14th April. It'd make things a load easier!

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Really? I honestly haven't got a clue who anyone is on here apart from two other posters, and one of them I've known since I was about 14.

Possibly because of your sponsored run a while back

And we have a Facebook friend in common 

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Possibly because of your sponsored run a while back

And we have a Facebook friend in common 

Ah yes - forgot about that. What's wrong with my profile? I am gayly frolicing astride a piece of art from a gallery in Edinburgh with a fucking huge hangover. That and a load of podcasts from work....

54 minutes ago, MickyD said:

we learned over the the years to stop rushing about down in the tube and travel topside on a bus or even get on the river there is so much too see when you are not stuck in the tube

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

You don't, its just snacks - bit of a treat for her 40th, having had them at work they are actaully really good, and as I say, the hampers themselves are decent. Bit annoyed about having to order a seafood platter to bring to whitstable as Wheelers Oyster Bar is shut.

I once bought a lobster in leadenhall market and wowed my girlfriend on the grass at Leeds Castle later that day. Can’t remember what we ate. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, green genie said:

Beg to differ. 

Would you recommend anywhere decent to stay for a few nights in and around Plymouth?

Sister has her boat moored down there this summer and planning to spend some time pretending I know about jib sails and tacking.

I know it's likely to be manic busy, but you may have some local knowledge...