Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

12 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

There absolutely needs to be a balance, but other countries aren't just throwing their hands up and saying whatever will be will be.

Testing and tracing only work if the number of cases are low, and other measures are still in place. Remove social distancing (as you suggested) and you might as well not bother. By the time any of the 8,000 people getting infected every day develop symptoms (around five days for the symptoms, probably 48 hours for the test) they'll have been in close contact with loads of other people at work/the pub/shops. And we'd have no idea who most of those are.

The steps we're taking are broadly the right ones, on paper. It's the timing and trust in the message and what's actually being delivered that are concerning.

South Korea had 80 positive cases the other day and started shutting schools. We're re-opening ours at 2,000. It does feel quite a lot like we've mismanaged the first bit and are now rushing to catch up to everyone else.

I wouldn’t say that socially distancing / shielding millions who are in at risk groups can be classed as ‘throwing our hands up’ 

We need a solution where the rest of us can carry on in a normal way to support industries that won’t survive social distancing - what’s the point in saving the NHS now to get to the other side and have a decimated economy. A depression will end up hurting the NHS 

It was always about stopping the NHS being overrun, that should still be the case of course. Perhaps we should all be vaccinated against winter flu this year (not just the usual at risk groups), that should help with NHS capacity through the winter 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Spider said:

Autumn/winter could be awful if the virus doesn’t mutate itself into something less damaging.

Distancing will be a thing of the past and if we’re all back at gigs and matches, it’s going to cause havoc.

A nice hot summer could be very useful.

I had gigs lined up for March, May and June

each one has now been put back 12 months

not heard of any gigs due to still take place this year (though TBF I only know about the ones I'm going to), but will be surprised if any that are scheduled for 2020 go ahead, or if any rescheduled ones are for a date this year

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Brazil - doing very well.

they're pissing it with record breaking numbers, and they don't even know when their peak will be yet

and they've not been testing either, so could be up to 15 times more cases than they think

but as Bosernaro said, "what do you want me to do about it?"

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I would agree but I genuinely don’t see us back at football and gigs. I certainly wouldn’t be going anyway 

Is have thought we'll be into 2021 before we're looking at stuff like that

4 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

they're pissing it with record breaking numbers, and they don't even know when their peak will be yet

and they've not been testing either, so could be up to 15 times more cases than they think

but as Bosernaro said, "what do you want me to do about it?"

At least we have an example for anyone wondering what would have happened if we did fuck all. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Ani said:

At least we have an example for anyone wondering what would have happened if we did fuck all. 

someone should tell the guy who writes for Conservative Woman

3 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

If the R number goes up when multiple restictions are lifted, how are they going to know which one has caused it?

I’m not sure it’s possible to ever figure that out without the contact tracing system working as you can then identify what event or what they have done?

we are reliant on the public who get this to be honest and quick and feed accurate info in. That’s how I see it 

49 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I wouldn’t say that socially distancing / shielding millions who are in at risk groups can be classed as ‘throwing our hands up’

We need a solution where the rest of us can carry on in a normal way to support industries that won’t survive social distancing - what’s the point in saving the NHS now to get to the other side and have a decimated economy. A depression will end up hurting the NHS 

It was always about stopping the NHS being overrun, that should still be the case of course. Perhaps we should all be vaccinated against winter flu this year (not just the usual at risk groups), that should help with NHS capacity through the winter 

I disagree really. Test and trace doesn't work without everyone adhering to some kind of social distancing, for some of the reasons I mentioned above. Also, the current system requires anyone with a positive test to give the names and contact info of anyone they've been within 2m of for 15 minutes, or been face to face with within 1m at all. If you're commuting in a city to a large workplace with no distancing, the numbers become infeasible almost instantly.

Similarly, the number of people with underlying conditions is massive. Extend that to people who live in households with people with underlying conditions (asthma, obesity etc.) and you'd be struggling to have enough left to run the country. Even if you can convince the rest to stay indoors while we go to the pub.

So in the end, we'd be leaving lockdown and returning to normal with the benefit of what? The ability to test but not effectively trace and additional capacity in the NHS that we didn't use first time around, on our way to one of the highest death tolls in the world. I'd say that is close to throwing our hands up.

The path forward seems pretty clear to me, and to some extent we're following it. But it takes patience and adding/removing measures based on what the virus is doing, rather than what looks good politically or because we feel it's time to move on from a contagious disease.

• Site Supporter

The UK government borrowed almost $76 billion in April, pushing its total public debt to close to 100% of the country’s GDP, its highest in nearly 60 years

Long road back...

1 minute ago, Spider said:

The UK government borrowed almost $76 billion in April, pushing its total public debt to close to 100% of the country’s GDP, its highest in nearly 60 years

Long road back...

No trying to sound like some on here but I’ve been predicting this for some time. It’s honestly dark dark road ahead. But In saying that we will recover and it won’t hit all of us. It’s just going to take a long time to unravel. Some very clever strategy required from the BoE and government 

13 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I disagree really. Test and trace doesn't work without everyone adhering to some kind of social distancing, for some of the reasons I mentioned above. Also, the current system requires anyone with a positive test to give the names and contact info of anyone they've been within 2m of for 15 minutes, or been face to face with within 1m at all. If you're commuting in a city to a large workplace with no distancing, the numbers become infeasible almost instantly.

Similarly, the number of people with underlying conditions is massive. Extend that to people who live in households with people with underlying conditions (asthma, obesity etc.) and you'd be struggling to have enough left to run the country. Even if you can convince the rest to stay indoors while we go to the pub.

So in the end, we'd be leaving lockdown and returning to normal with the benefit of what? The ability to test but not effectively trace and additional capacity in the NHS that we didn't use first time around, on our way to one of the highest death tolls in the world. I'd say that is close to throwing our hands up.

The path forward seems pretty clear to me, and to some extent we're following it. But it takes patience and adding/removing measures based on what the virus is doing, rather than what looks good politically or because we feel it's time to move on from a contagious disease.

It’s not just about deciding to move on from a contagious disease 

it’s about avoiding an economic depression, which in itself will cause many thousands of deaths 

57 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

It’s not just about deciding to move on from a contagious disease 

it’s about avoiding an economic depression, which in itself will cause many thousands of deaths 

Spot on

lives v lives

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I’m not sure it’s possible to ever figure that out without the contact tracing system working as you can then identify what event or what they have done?

we are reliant on the public who get this to be honest and quick and feed accurate info in. That’s how I see it 

It would be possible if they did one at a time 

6 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

It would be possible if they did one at a time 

But you still wouldn’t know unless you started one then stopped as just because you start a second activity it doesn’t mean it comes from that source ?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Spot on

lives v lives

Do your parents still have theirs? Genuine question, mine do and really that's all I'm bothered about

My business, savings and pension can wait till we get our daily death toll till at least below 100